VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:27 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Yank Finds It Late
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:12 pm 

Good Day to you Sonnet18 and welcome aboard The Good Ship Roxy! :)

Your post of introduction was a great read and I am fascinated by the fact that you only stumbled on the BF/RM wonder a couple of years ago. I have grown up with them over 44 years, listening, watching, reading, collecting and I can't imagine what it must be like to only discover them so recently. I think I would be overwhelmed.

I can recommend to you the book "Both Ends Burning" by Jonathon Rigby which details each Roxy Music album song by song if you are looking for details about individual songs. If you are looking out for an autobiography could be quite a long wait!!

Cheers 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:28 pm 

Thanks so much for that recommendation, Roxy. Cool! I'll be ordering that book post-haste.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:14 am 

Welcome Sonnet18. I've been quite fascinated in the past to hear from new fans who come to the world of Roxy/Ferry unencumbered by the often heavy baggage many of us carry, invariably born of passion and expectation. As JO'B says, 'a breath of fresh air' indeed. :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:29 am 

Sonnet 18 - why don't you write up Ferry's discography? It would certainly read well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:00 am 

UKRichard wrote:
Welcome Sonnet18. I've been quite fascinated in the past to hear from new fans who come to the world of Roxy/Ferry unencumbered by the often heavy baggage many of us carry, invariably born of passion and expectation. As JO'B says, 'a breath of fresh air' indeed. :D

I've wondered occasionally what sort of listener I might have been had I been along for the ride in real time. Something like Beauty Queen I would have grasped/embraced right away - every U.S. suburban street had a Beauty Queen star summer lover of fun lounging in her lawn chair in the yard. I would have loved Virginia Plain instantly with all its postwar cultural references. Mother of Pearl would have knocked me flat (in a good way).

Others, though, while I'm sorry to have missed the timeline as it happened, I'm actually glad to have some living under my belt as I listen. Songs like In Your Mind, Psalm, Amazona, Ladytron and End of the Line I suspect are better appreciated by the older me than would have been by the totally unsophisticated bookworm teenage me.

Last edited by sonnet18 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:13 am 

avalon_eyes wrote:
Sonnet 18 - why don't you write up Ferry's discography? It would certainly read well.

Oh my . . . that's a wickedly tempting suggestion. :shock: :D
I say wicked because it's such a mammoth body of work. Food for thought though, certainly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:38 pm 

I have said it before, paraphrasing mind, you need to go a long way to find a thick Roxy fan.

Welcome sonnet 18, you have made a wonderful impression and i am jealous of the fact you have heard EVERYTHING I love in such a short space of time, and without the media access we brits had too.....

Man, to have that innocent access again, that instant electric blood rush...relating to something that feels like it was made just for you.

You jammy sod.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:34 pm 

rendezvous wrote:
I have said it before, paraphrasing mind, you need to go a long way to find a thick Roxy fan.

Dear RV... to paraphrase, I present myself. :P :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:56 am 

RoxySiren wrote:
rendezvous wrote:

Dear RV... to paraphrase, I present myself. :P :D

:D :D :D :D
Ummmmmm Ditto me :lol:
Fabulous RoxySiren......

Last edited by teresa on Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:08 am 

Attachment:
IMG_3571.jpg
IMG_3571.jpg [ 220.62 KiB | Viewed 7645 times ]
Hi Sonnet!

Welcome to this interesting and fun site...
I am so glad to see another American fan who feels the same way about Bryans' music that so many others here feel.

I always wonder what people who like his music as intensely as I do are like, and to paraphrase :)
Our Wonderful fellow poster Rendezvous,
" you have to go a long way to find a thick Roxy fan..." ;)

Your post is So well written Sonnet, and very enjoyable to read. I especially like your mentioning that you have
"More in common with his father, the quiet man of gardens and animals and straight plow furrows.."

I am still
Dumbfounded
At the many Americans in my age group who still have
No Clue
As to who Bryan Ferry or Roxy Music are.
I tell a lot of people about my upcoming trip to the Mouth of Tyne Festival in Newcastle this July 7th
(my birthday present to me) :D
To see Bryan live for the first time, on his Home Turf....

And I ask, Do you know who Bryan Ferry is?? Roxy Music??!! Love is the Drug??!!
And Too Many Times
I am Met With Blank Stares....

I was, like you, from that same era in the US when kids our age were just getting introduced to Bowie, and a little Roxy.
I bought Viva! Live in 1976 when I was sixteen, as soon as it came out, and I could not get enough.

Like you mentioned, most kids from our era were listening to Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Peter Frampton, etc..
And Bowie and Roxy were something very new and unusual. And they just did not get the radio airplay that those other artists did. So there left a niche following in the US, those of us who were lucky enough to know about them, before the MTV era and of course, the internet.
Where in the US do you hail from Sonnet? :D

One last thought Sonnet,
A lot of us Ferryfans
Roxologists as our Fabulous WS2 Says....
Seem to be Like ......

In What We Like.
Please tell me how you feel about..
Nighthawks......

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next