It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: the paul mcloone show
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:41 pm 

This monday:

http://www.todayfm.com/Jump-On-The-Midn ... yan-Ferry-

Post subject: Re: the paul mcloone show
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:13 am 

Bryan mentioned a possible release this year of the RAH concert from 74(?). No mention of deluxe versions of Roxy Music / For Your Pleasure though..

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:14 am 

It was great to hear confirmation of the Royal Albert Hall Live 1974 show being work in progress for a release from the man himself. He said later this year but we all know one year in BF world can equate to about three everywhere else so hopefully it will be a busy time coming up with an RM Deluxe set followed by BF@RAH 74. :)

8-)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:06 pm 

Forensic Ferryistas,

What a great interview. W2 was knocked out to discover that Bryan had bumped into Robert Palmer.

He'd often wondered if his two heroes had met and it brings a certain serendipity to things knowing that their paths had crossed.

It was also good to hear that there could be a DVD/ and/ or recording of the '74 live show from the RAH on the way. Windswept was at that show and well remembers how ground breaking that concert was.

Ironically, Robert Palmer, also appeared at the RAH in '92 with his 'Ridin' High' album. Another great night that W2 also got to attend.

Ferry and Palmer along with Boz Scaggs are really the only vocalists from W2's generation to interpret these songs and add value to them.

What a great pity Robert (RIP) is no longer with us. Happily his music lives on and doubtless he would have loved Ferry's interpretation of 'Johnny & Mary'.

Pal Mcloone discussed both Johnny & Mary and Carrikfergus with our hero and W2 was willing him on to ask what other songs he planned to cover but - no joy - W2 is beginning to think he'll have to organise his own interview to get to the bottom of these things !

Salutations,
Windswept

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:49 pm 

BF - “I’m speaking to you from my studio now and there is always something on the go. What we might put out later in the year is an album of a show that I did at the RAH in 1974. We found the tapes and we’ve been mixing that, it’s been quite an interesting project.”

P McL - “Is that something you just stumbled over?”

BF - “We knew we have them somewhere and I really didn’t realise that they were kind of……um….that they were worth putting out. It was such an unusual concert, it was my first solo album and it was the first time I had done any gigs outside of Roxy and it is an interesting project to kind of rediscover….as it were.”

8-)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:11 pm 

Bryan does my head in sometimes with his vagueness....

Like when talking about Roxy album covers and not referring to Jerry by name, calling her "the model."

Haway man.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:36 am 

Hmmm. Now BF seems to have a reissue of his '74 solo gig at RAH to occupy his attention. Fine. No problem, Great... But does this just offer a distraction from dealing with Roxy deluxe reissues???

My memory needs refreshing. Who was in the band at the RAH gig? Was Eddie J on piano/keys? Just wondering...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:34 am 

Full details from the 1974 tour booklet.

8-)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:05 pm 

Roxy wrote:

BF - “I’m speaking to you from my studio now and there is always something on the go. What we might put out later in the year is an album of a show that I did at the RAH in 1974. We found the tapes and we’ve been mixing that, it’s been quite an interesting project.”

Hedonistic Hipsters,
W2 likes the idea that we may be getting more live albums.
As he puts so much effort into his shows and they are all quite different, it seems very appropriate to celebrate them with live LP releases.
This show in particular had a great set list comprising songs from his first two albums - many of which have seldom, if ever been played live since.
That said, at the risk of sounding like a parrot, if he is going to do this then surely we must have an album celebrating one of his greatest ever tours - AEWBF !
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:06 pm 

W2:
I much admire your dogged perseverance in pushing pushing pushing for a AEWBF live album!!!

May your dream come true! Soon!

Regarding the '74 RAH gig, it will be interesting to hear just how good the original analog recording was, and also how well it was preserved over the past 40 years. If it has the sonic quality of VIVA! then it could be very good. But with all the horns and strings etc, getting the right "mix" could be a bit tricky. Certainly not impossible, but tricky nonetheless....