VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:27 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: A fruity baritone .... and more
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:39 pm 

Gardner!! Ageist.

I was browsing Wikipedia earlier , reading about Manifesto, Flesh + Blood etc. and I saw a Rolling Stone reference to his recent (then) solo work.... 'The Bride Stripped Bare' was "astonishing " and 'In Your Mind', " the secret highlight of Ferry's musical career, an energetic album that would have received more attention as a full Roxy release".

I haven't looked up what is written about 'Avonmore'.

Post subject: Re: A fruity baritone
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:15 pm 

I don't want to argue with Gardner, all Roxy fans are kindred spirits.

But I think Avonmore is our boy's best album, and 'A Special kind of guy' breaks my heart, I really love everything about that song.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:22 pm 

Gardner wrote:
In the last few recent live shows i've seen - the songs are almost spoken rather than sung and all of the emotion has gone - It leaves you with an emptiness. Yes , Johny and Mary kind of works - it's probably the best thing on the album - Other songs like 'A special kind of guy ' or his dreadful version of "Back to black" leave you hoping that there was a ventilator handy...

Ouch!

Been a long time viewer and haven't been "brave" enough to comment until now. I think this is a tad harsh!

The voice has undoubtedly changed for better and for worse in some instances. I have landed myself with a long commute each day and so have had the chance to keep my mind occupied with plenty Ferry research. Listening to various live versions of ITIS back to back shows the huge changes decade to decade. However there is something magical to be had in each one - in my opinion.

Also, in my opinion, the voice sounds better live at the venue than the recently released live concert CD (in most cases). Even my long suffering wife enjoyed the recent outing in Perth..... :o

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:43 am 

There's a definite frailty to his voice that lends itself to the wistful melancholy of the later Roxy albums and much of his solo canon.

His voice in its current state simply lacks the power to articulate fully the ironic bravado of the first few Roxy albums. Recordings of Virginia Plain I've heard from the past tour border on karaoke.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:33 am 

In Bryans Defence

For Goodness Sake...
No One
Escapes
And If I Have To Age
Please
Please

Let Me Be As Elegant
And Timeless
As Bryan

Attachments:
8ddac3f7f1c7885e2e3ae83c23d09d87.jpg
8ddac3f7f1c7885e2e3ae83c23d09d87.jpg [ 89.65 KiB | Viewed 9405 times ]
8467775273bc3050fd0f301388723c4f.jpg
8467775273bc3050fd0f301388723c4f.jpg [ 14.18 KiB | Viewed 9407 times ]
13e9838c7469f0f8eb0ccb6a29b4fffb.jpg
13e9838c7469f0f8eb0ccb6a29b4fffb.jpg [ 119.29 KiB | Viewed 9407 times ]

Last edited by teresa on Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:52 am 

rendezvous wrote:
I don't want to argue with Gardner, all Roxy fans are kindred spirits.

But I think Avonmore is our boy's best album, and 'A Special kind of guy' breaks my heart, I really love everything about that song.

Rendezvous;

Avonmore is A Beautiful Collection..

One of My Favourites is Lost

And Bryan Writes about Loss
So Well....
Something I Can Certainly Identify With

Attachments:
12115734_103773479981008_6657239075589977534_n~2.jpg
12115734_103773479981008_6657239075589977534_n~2.jpg [ 34.57 KiB | Viewed 9405 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:55 am 

Ok , Let me make it clear... Over the course of my 53 years ( I ain't no spring chicken) Roxy music and Bryan Ferry's creations and performances have been some of the most intense moments in my life. In recent years i'd say that Reason or Rhyme and I Thought are two of the most beautiful pieces of music I have EVER heard .. over played being an understatement.
I've loved ( to varying degrees ) all the tours I have seen - since 76/77 and would say that all of this has had a profound influence on my taste and temperament.

HOWEVER ................

Despite the odd moment - for example some of the An Evening with Bryan Ferry / Jazz age tour and maybe even moments on the Dylanesque tour ... Most of his vocals in performances in the last 6/7 years have been weaker - rushed, half spoken , whispered, strained... ETC . To say that this is not the case is like The Emperors New Clothes

Re Avonmore ... I could write a thesis on Ferry's song writing - from 1972 - present - i get the irony, the avant garde, the collage , the pop art wordplay, the R&B/Soul/Jazz references /influences ....Blah blah blah and have forgiven him moments that even the most fervent fans doubt ... BUT not with the rushed bottom of the barrel scrappings that have been cobbled together here - nearly all the songs were recorded years , maybe decades ago and were already on You tube ( in various forms ) ... Looking at the track listing for the first time was like reliving a recurring teenage nightmare - 'where a new Roxy album was released yet it was made up of weird weaker versions of old songs...' The title is uninspired shit and the album art just awful - dated and deceitful.

I love Roxy Music and 75% of Ferry's work with a passion , but I cannot sit back and join in praise just for the sake of it - I'll never go to see him live again - it's excruciating.

In my dream - Maybe he'll write cool instrumental music with Todd Terje and Brian Eno .... ( fingers crossed )

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:55 am 

I am all for freedom of speech. However, there are issues I haven`t dared to raise, like "sounding like karaoke" and "being on the money trail", and I won`t do it either. People like us HAVE been a fan, and still are, to some extent, but I`ve sometimes thought "why ain`t Bryan as popular as all the others, and why didn`t "The Right Stuff" get the position it had deserved? :|

Last edited by le freak on Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:59 pm 

Salacious Sirens,
Windswept would defend the right of even the most fatuous Ferryista to free speech but on this one, he feels he must spring to the defence of the realm.
Has our hero's voice matured - yes !
Is the Pope a Catholic - yes !
Of some things we can be assured and not even W2's magic mirror can stave off the ravages of time completely.
That said, who else has matured with such grace and style whist continuing to entertain fans new and old with fabulous shows and scintillating original output ?
Of course his voice has changed with the passing of time. Furthermore, problems with laryngitis and the vocal cords are occupational hazards for singers and can play havoc with live performance consistency.
However, W2 has yet to come away from a Ferry Fandango in any state other than completely jazzed and it was telling that when Bryan left the stage at the Palladium, one of the most enthusiastic applauses came from behind him, from no other than Lucy Wilkins, a great musician who knew she had just played in support of the absolute master.
Windswept is just so pleased to have shared this epoch and is hoping for more tours and more albums.
Oh, The Thrill Of It All !
Salutations,
Windswept

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:21 pm 

Dearest Mr Windypops ..
Enough with the 'fatuous'. No amount of fruity French conversation and 'Ooh La La ing' from yourself can hide the fact that you are desperately hanging on to past glories and that life for you will forever be one big 1974. A wonderful place to be - but unfortunately it has gone , as have the 80's ( please don't bring up 'The name of the game again ) and the 90's ... it was all fabulous and at times incredibly moving but now , live , all we are left with is a band of incredibly talented young musicians fronted by our hero ..... who, ironically, due to the ravages of time, is the only weak link ... Mr Ferry and his wheezy gasp.
Even you must realise , when you regale us all with yet another of your 'super dooper' set lists .. that he is incapable of singing any of the songs you suggest with even a smidgeon of his past Va Va Voom... ( if at all ) I suggest , in order to leave us with our glorious memories intact that he hangs up his microphone and focuses on making instrumental music with some of the influential people he has worked with in the past.
Or... he could look out some old live material from 1974 and rehash it for release , perhaps later this year .... at least the old photographs he seems so desperate to use might be more appropriate .....

Meilleurs voeux, mon trompé forum correspondant. :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next