VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: A fruity baritone
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:13 pm 

You're right dcj, strangely I found more time for Tom Waits when I was younger, what was that Waltzing Matilda song again? My memory is shocking.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:20 pm 

I found more time for Tom Waits when I was younger, what was that Waltzing Matilda song again?

Tom Traubert's Blues?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:42 pm 

Correct, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:16 pm 

My ,my ! Things have been fiery on here lately . As one who posts occasionally but tries to keep up with everything, these posts have been interesting to say the least . As a Ferry fan since I was 14 ( now in mid- fifties ) , it has obviously been very noticeable how his voice has changed with the passage of time . However, I must mention my late mother, who was a trained singer ( she sang from her diaphragm ) and had a most powerful voice up to her death at the age of 86 . Now I mention this because unfortunately, Bryan is not a trained singer and therefore his voice has weakened . As others have said though, at least he keeps producing new music and touring , which I am grateful for .

Having said that , I agree with Gardner that Ferry and Roxy's finest hour was the 1970's and I listen to those albums far more than any of his recent stuff, although I enjoyed Frantic . However, the personal comments were uncalled for . I really like Windswept's posts - they are very lyrical - and actually most of the time I happen to agree with his point of view .

Let's hope for a DVD of An Evening with BF - the cameras were most definitely rolling in Oxford and Shepherds Bush and more concerts in the future with a supplement of strings and brass would be most welcome . BF with the RPO or the LSO ! Great !

I hope we see you, Windswept, on the forum again in the future .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:09 am 

What a wonderful thread :-)

I don't have an issue with Bryan's voice now...he is as musical as ever and uses his instrument to great effect.

I would say though, as a member of a tribute band, that if our singer (or the musicians for that matter) emulated the recent live album many casual fans (the Radio 2 audience) would be baffled at best, and deeply critical at worst.

Our singer is very good, but is better at sounding like Bryan from 79-82, and "dyed in the wool" Roxy fans have told him that he needs to be more aggressive in the "early" set; so if these fans can have an issue with an earnest and faithful Bryan tribute then they will certainly have issues with Bryan himself if he has deviated from what they are expecting to hear.

We make allowances of course, because we are fans. And on the recent album in my opinion the highlights are the unexpected (He'll Have to Go) and the modified (Beauty Queen).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:55 pm 

I am an infrequent poster although I keep up to date with most posts on the forum, however thought I'd add my two penneth worth. Bryan's voice is clearly not what it was and has probably aged more than some of his contemporaries which certainly makes some of the early vocal tour de force tracks a difficult listen at concerts. Having said that, he appears to be making the best of it with judicious use of backing vocalists, careful set list selections. He also seems to save himself to give his all for some of the classics in the later half of the set.

The other key point for me however is that the voice on some of his recent tracks, in particular I thought, Reason or Rhyme and Send in the Clowns does not detract but actually enhances the performance.

Billie Holliday and Johnny Cash produced some or their most expressive and acclaimed work towards the end of their careers where their voices were not in their prime, so I have no issues looking forward to whatever Bryan decides to do next, despite the lack of power in the voice.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:11 am 

Boy oh boy there's some blinkered pomposity on this thread, hysterical read, so here's my two penn' 'orth:

To my untrained (albeit a saxophonists) ear, it all changed with the release of 'Taxi' in 1993 after a six year break from 'Bete Noir'

The voice is noticeably weaker and breathier, has been recorded very close to the vocal mic and is much higher in the mix (though not as high as Frantic!)

Why? Who really knows, Ferry's always been a scarf wearing/"got a bad throat" kinda guy hasn't he?

For me, if I want to hear what I consider 'true Ferry', I never go beyond 'The Bride Stripped Bare' anyway, and often not even that far, as I still think 'In Your Mind' was his last great, original offering.

Lastly, all the fags, booze and "party time wasting" may well have been "too much fun", but probably hasn't helped matters either!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:03 pm 

Party time wasting indeed... But if that was the sole criteria as to the strength/longevity of 60s/70s pop/rock vocalists then how to explain Bowie's ability to hold it together even on his deathbed? Or how can Mick J still be rocking out giant sports arenas (albeit not not quite to the level of his early years...)?

There's always a good dose of serendipity involved, but the more cigarettes smoked over the years the the more stress placed on the vocal chords...

I don't know when BF stopped smoking but it certainly extended into the 90s. And then he seemingly "tempted fate" by using a circa 1990 photo featuring him smoking as the cover for Frantic in 2002... Oh well, its water over the dam now...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:05 am 

Ahahahahaha :lol:
Hi Stabbs!

Very Entertaining, Interesting Views on this Post..
Party Time Wasting is Too Much Fun!!

And to Quote Rendezvous...

"You Have to Go a Long Way
To Find a Thick Roxy Fan"...
Ahahahaha :lol: :lol:

Attachments:
6a12a68ad4e1eee99611c92703f0e17f.jpg
6a12a68ad4e1eee99611c92703f0e17f.jpg [ 76.83 KiB | Viewed 13611 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:36 am 

Stabbs MacKenzie wrote:
To my untrained (albeit a saxophonists) ear, it all changed with the release of 'Taxi' in 1993 after a six year break from 'Bete Noir'.

The voice is noticeably weaker and breathier, has been recorded very close to the vocal mic and is much higher in the mix (though not as high as Frantic!)

I'd say it all changed with the release of 'Boys & Girls'. BF's voice was thin, totally mixed into the background, completely wrapped with female background voices ('Don't Stop The Dance' etc. - although it's the only song from the album I really like :?). And that was the album when he had definitely changed his style from art rock to lounge pop, IMHO.

Stabbs MacKenzie wrote:
For me, if I want to hear what I consider 'true Ferry', I never go beyond 'The Bride Stripped Bare' anyway, and often not even that far, as I still think 'In Your Mind' was his last great, original offering.

The 70s were the golden years of Roxy/Ferry. I'd add at least Manifesto and a few tracks from 'F&B' and 'Avalon'. BTW, I've recently read Bracewell's 'Re-Make Re-Model'. Though there's a lot of modern art in it, Bracewell made me realize what a bundle of creative personalities the young Roxy members must have been 8-) .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next