VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: A fruity baritone
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:57 pm 

Yay Windswept!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:35 am 

Hi everybody. Its plainly obvious everyone who visits this site likes Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music and its great to get info or listen to comments here. I do agree with the vast majority of comments GARDNER has posted in this thread. I love the earlier material of Roxy and Bryan , I have bought every album in every format up to this date. OLYMPIA surprised me as I didn't think he could produce another album of this quality, which Coinsided with a great Roxy Music concert in Perth, Australia where I now live. AVONMORE is also a very good album. Sometimes I think I would love a ninth Roxy album, but I think Bryans voice would be the weak point and certainly not the other groups members. But Roxy Music would not be Roxy Music without one massive ingredient, BRYAN FERRY. We all wish we could revisit earlier years, and a little bit of that is probably why we were fascinated with SONNET 18 just finding Roxy Music and Bryan Ferry. I prefer Bryans voice of earlier years, but that is my view only. If other people here love his voice now then great and I am envious of you, I really am. I am a Roxy/Ferry fan through and through and although I have tried to listen to the other group members work out side of Roxy, they do not have it, but together its a hell of a mix, in my view. We are all visiting this site for the same thing, and its the last true fans site. There really isn't any need for comments like " Dear Mr Windypops...etc." if you don't like what your reading from another lover of Roxy Music or Bryan Ferry then either ignore it or be a bit more mature and or sensitive with your comments..........

Last edited by treboroxy on Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:14 am 

There really isn't any need for comments like " Dear Mr Windypops...." if you don't like .....

Yes, I underline that. May just have been a slip of the tongue though...regarding Bryan/Roxy:

Together, Roxy were very special. My personal highlight is the pure dynamic of Casanova and Bryan with one of his best vocal performances. Yet, the mature voice in the Taxi/Mamouna period I also found to be in a class of its own.
Bryan has aged - as we all have - and personally, I am grateful for anything he releases. I also enjoy the concerts although his vocal performance is patchy and worn, yet he expertly covers this up mainly, with the backing vocals...
As for Roxy. Bryan should have kick-started Roxy Music after the senstaional 2001 tour. This did not happen and will not happen. This is IMO the only disppointment, plus the fact we are still waiting for Roxy re-issues etc (anything at all!)..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:19 am 

Agree!

I'm Glad Bryan is Still Doing
What He Does Best!

Attachments:
8ddac3f7f1c7885e2e3ae83c23d09d87.jpg
8ddac3f7f1c7885e2e3ae83c23d09d87.jpg [ 89.65 KiB | Viewed 10109 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:02 pm 

Valid, honest yet positive criticism is always justified as far as I'm concerned. Is the Ferry voice as good as it was in the 80s or 90s? Of course not. Is the man still capable of putting a fine show? I would say certainly yes. I think if you listen to the recordings, which have been mixed and the various instruments and voices separated, the imperfections of his voice today are far more evident than they are on the night when you're in the concert hall.

For many casual enthusiasts who don't follow Bryan and Roxy with the same amount of attention that we do, all that they would have thought when "Avonmore" came out was that there was a new Bryan Ferry album being released. They wouldn't know and probably wouldn't care that many of the songs, or parts of them, are years old. Putting songs to one side and coming back to them to finish them years later is not something Bryan has only started doing recently to cover up for lack of new material/writer's block, whatever some might think. He's been doing it for years. Wasn't Mother of Pearl famously described by Andy or Phil as a long instrumental track that Bryan finally turned up with lyrics for at the 11th hour and totally transformed? The Only Face was years in the making too, I think.

For me there are some terrific songs on Avonmore. People moaned when Flesh + Blood came out that the material wasn't up to the standard of that in The Golden Era.

With so many performers of his age having passed away recently or coming to the end of the road I for one am glad that Bryan is still out there. I didn't feel cheated or disappointed when I came out of the An Evening with Bryan Ferry show in 2013 because the voice wasn't what it was. It was one of the greatest things he's ever done. And for a man in his 5th decade as a rock star that's quite an achievement.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:16 pm 

Thank You True2Life!

Agree!!
I'm Really Glad that Bryan is Still Able to do
What He
And We
Love!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:48 pm 

Ok ! I do apologise for being unnecessary childish and rude about Mr Windswept - he is a truly loyal fan and I have been a cheeky wee upstart .. but ... he called me 'fatuous' first .. before I retaliated.... WAAAHHHHH ....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:57 pm 

True2Life wrote:
Is the Ferry voice as good as it was in the 80s or 90s? Of course not.

Honestly I think this is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. I really, really love the velvety, sometimes whispering, sometimes broken sound his current day voice has. I agree with so many on this board that on Johnny & Mary his voice is a bit too whispery, but I just love how his voice sounds on Reason Or Rhyme, Alphaville (I absolutely love the Leo Zero Remix, btw), and on Avonmore to mention just a few examples.

I really wouldn't say it's "not as good anymore". It's just different.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:32 pm 

Gardner wrote:
Ok ! I do apologise for being unnecessary childish and rude about Mr Windswept - he is a truly loyal fan and I have been a cheeky wee upstart .. but ... he called me 'fatuous' first .. before I retaliated.... WAAAHHHHH ....

Cher Jardinier

When you talk about having "a ventilator handy" , "uninspired shit",
"deceitful", "the only weak link....Mr.Ferry and his wheezy gasp", "the old photographs he seems so desperate to use".... You aren't insulting W2 - you are insulting Bryan Ferry and seem to have forgotten that you are actually posting on a fan site.

You think that you can insult a musician who has probably made one of the biggest contributions to modern music over the last forty years
without come back because you know that BF would never dignify you with a response.

Ironically, when W2 used the word fatuous, you applied it to yourself yet you weren't mentioned. Mais si le chapeau correspond a porter!

Most people in this forum don't want trouble. They just want to constructively discuss BF's music and his performances. W2 normally belongs to this club but your remarks are just an abuse of a fan site and don't bring anything remotely constructive to the party.

Of course, everybody has their favourite Ferry but the minimum respect should surely be observed when discussing things ?

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:35 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
Gardner wrote:

Cher Jardinier

When you talk about having "a ventilator handy" , "uninspired shit",
"deceitful", "the only weak link....Mr.Ferry and his wheezy gasp", "the old photographs he seems so desperate to use".... You aren't insulting W2 - you are insulting Bryan Ferry and seem to have forgotten that you are actually posting on a fan site.

You think that you can insult a musician who has probably made one of the biggest contributions to modern music over the last forty years
without come back because you know that BF would never dignify you with a response.

Ironically, when W2 used the word fatuous, you immediately applied it to yourself yet you weren't mentioned. Mais si le chapeau correspond a porter!

Most people in this forum don't want trouble. They just want to constructively discuss BF's music and his performances. W2 normally belongs to this club but your remarks are just an abuse of a fan site and don't bring anything remotely constructive to the party.

Of course, everybody has their favourite Ferry but the minimum respect should surely be observed when discussing things ?

Salutations,

W2

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next