VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Forum
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:01 pm 
Site Owner

I would like to step in here and have my tuppence worth.
This forum is rich for its varying characters and their varying opinions. We may not like what everyone says or how they say it but that is life. I am sure I am like most people here that have their favourite contributors and those I don’t read their posts. I don’t read every post simply as I don’t have time to read or contribute to everything.

I have known Gardner for a long time (1999) and know how avid a fan he is of Roxy & Ferry’s work. I have spoke with him many times over the years on the merits of the Ferry/Roxy canon and he has always spoke highly of their work.

Mr Ferry’s voice has changed over the years and no one blames him for that as it is part of the aging process. Some of us like it some of us don’t. Gardner may have come to the conclusion that his voice/work is changed too far beyond what he admires from Ferry’s career, that is his opinion and his right to do so. I don’t see his comments that are deemed by some as negative at all just where Gardner stands in what he likes from Ferry. If this was all I had heard from him over the years then yes I would say he was negative but I know how much he has expressed his admiration for Ferry over the years. The comment that was deemed as rude I saw as merely a bit of fun as I don’t see Gardner as a rude person generally in all the times I have met him.

I have also met Windswept too and spent a nice evening having a drink, food and a bit of Roxy/Ferry chat in a pub just round from Studio One when I was working there one time. Windswept too is also an avid fan who has seen BF from his pre fame days in Newcastle right through to the present. Like anyone on this forum he has opinion on various parts of BFs career (I love IYLS Enough? By the way) and he is particularly fond of recent years. His posts here are enjoyed by many and ignored by others as I know some members love and look forward to his contributions and other here have found his writing in third person and use of French tedious at times but that’s just the range of people here, we read some posts and not others.

Overall I have been happy over the years that there has not been much negativity between members written on the forum or that the band member’s privacy has not been invaded and that the paparazzi type post/link have been very few and far between.

I hope that both Gardner & Windswept continue to contribute to the site as those who read their posts will welcome their return on here.

J.O'B.

Post subject: Re: The Forum
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:14 pm 

Hear hear Webmeister. We are all on here because we are fans and obviously we have our own opinions on what has been good and bad over the years. Debate is good but let's not get personal. Let's be thankful John put all this together and gave us all the opportunity to chat about Roxy and Ferry. Roxy Rule Ok.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:47 pm 

John, I echo your last sentence.

Haway lads!

JO'B narked me once with a comment about my idea for a make-believe Bryan/Bowie album cover. Which brought me back to earth after initially mildly upsetting me.

And W2, if you're still reading us, I've still got me original Annabel's membership photo and look like a 12 year old serious Serge Gainsbourg. How did I get accepted?!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:58 pm 

Nicely stated JO'B.

Thanks for all you do to make VRM a great site and forum!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:26 pm 

Ever thought of a new career in the Diplomatic Corp John?
Well said.
I was in the midst of making a comment myself a couple of nights ago but lost the whole thing. I don't think there can be many here who feel quite as strongly as Gardner or would put their opinions quite so colourfully but defending his right to say it is laudible, I guess.
I hope we haven't lost Windswept - I like his contributions.
The internet is a fascinating place, but social media (which this forum probably forms part of) is rife with unpleasantness. Admittedly events here are pale in comparison, but when I read things of this kind I am usually reminded of the old adage 'if you haven't got anything good to say, then don't say anything at all'. That's not to say we shouldn't have frank debate, but there are ways and means of doing it. The world - including the view of it we get via the internet - is an increasingly aggressive and intolerant place. Is it too much to expect somewhere like this, full of people with one thing in common, cannot discuss that one thing respectfully and here at least, buck that trend?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:50 am 

Debate is good but let's not get personal. Nicely put Jerry Nunn. ........... 'if you haven't got anything good to say, then don't say anything at all'. That's not to say we shouldn't have frank debate, but there are ways and means of doing it. ......... Again nicely put UKRichard.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:20 pm 

Very wise words from everyone on this thread so far. I had also penned a post after reading some of the comments I had seen over the past few days and seeing the farewell post from Windswept 2. I then followed what I have done many times and deleted without posting when I realised I have said it all before on more than one occasion.

I have seen many comments on here over the years where I have had to sit on my hands or step away from the keyboard. Healthy debate is fine face to face but in the land of the internet it doesn't seem to always work and can get personal at times which is more than likely out of frustration rather than malice which is a shame.

Personally speaking I know "the obvious", I don't need it pointing out in such a negative way so when I see it I tend to ignore it. It is not blind faith I just feel a bit of compassion for someone who has no control over the ageing process.....................just like the rest of us.

8-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:16 pm 

Roxy, you're class.

Or mint, where I come from that's the highest praise.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:34 am 

Nice one Roxy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:44 am 

https://youtu.be/WQ_G3v0u5aM