VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Selfridges
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:24 am 

Got a mail from the BF-site that Bryan will be signing Olympia this Tuesday at Selfridges, London.. Don't need to work that day. Checked out at the eurostar-site how much it would cost to go to London... 347 euro!!!! :shock: :shock: I would love to be there, but that I can't afford.... :?

Post subject: Re: Selfridges
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:23 am 

What the newsletter doesn't clarify is whether the signing session will be limited to only the first 100 respondents.

I suspect time constraints (I think he's only scheduled to be there for about an hour) may also mitigate against getting any other memorabilia signed, but I'll hope to be there with my gatefold FYP LP cover which is already signed by Andy, Phil, Paul & Eno. Will look nice in a frame on the wall one day...

Fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:18 pm 

Enjoy it, Smudge, and good luck! Give him kind regards of the belgian chocolate girl ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:36 pm 

Ah, at the time of the "Taxi" release Bryan sat under the main stairs of the newly opened "Oslo City" shoppingcenter and signed copies of copies of whatever we brought him. There was quite a considerable queue. Even young girls said he was cute. This was short before the winter olympics at Lillehammer. I got my copy of the "Taxi" musicasette signed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:35 pm 

Well, the Selfridges signing was limited to 100 people in one hour, but I was one of the lucky ones and the great man rattled through it all very smoothly. It did cost each of us £50 for the deluxe Olympia, though; no purchase, no entry.

Everyone got a handshake, a smile and a few words, as well a signature. Despite the no photos and no additional memorabilia rules, BF allowed both to be broken; fortunately nobody I saw asked for more than 2-3 items to be signed...

Net result is that the inside of my FYP gatefold sleeve is now fully signed and ready for framing! :D If you'd told me that would be possible back in 1973, I'd never have believed it...

I asked BF if there was any chance of FYP being played in its entirety on the 2011 tour, but he said he didn't think so, although it would be nice to play some of them again. He mentioned The Bogus Man and smiled quite wistfully to himself...

I put in a personal request for Beauty Queen to enter the set list and he said that other people had requested it too (I think he mentioned one of his sons being among them...), so I'll live in hope...

All in all it was a nice, well run event and BF seemed very relaxed. I have to say he's looking pretty damned good for 65 too; the King Of Cool isn't ready to abdicate the throne just yet! :D

Will try to post a review when I've given Olympia a spin, but Ronnie Scott's jazz club and a couple of glasses of decent vino rosso rounded off tonight very nicely...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:13 am 

Sound like you had a good night Smudge and that signed album must be your most treasured possesion now!

I heard from another of the "Lucky 100" that the male attendees outnumbered the females?

He went on to an album launch party after the Selfridges event.

8-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:34 pm 

Yes, Roxy, I think the fully signed FYP sleeve might just be the first thing I'd save if the building was on fire!

And, yes, I think the guys outnumbered the gals at the signing (perhaps by a factor of 2:1...), although one woman claimed to have flown in from Toronto for the event (impressive, if true, given that the "Lucky 100" got less than 24 hours notice, which is probably why not all the "winners" turned up...).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:00 pm 

HI
I was at the signing at Selfridges and found Bryan delightful.
Couldn't wait for it to be my turn. A kind gentleman behind me videoed me with Bryan. Was that you Smudge?
I didn't realise it was an exclusive signing just for the 100 lucky winners of the competition. That made it extra special.
Thank you Bryan, and I probably speak for all of us, for letting us be part of your special day for launching your new album Olympia.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:36 am 

Glad you enjoyed the event, Maggiemay. If you're the lady whose requested dedication from BF included reference to My Only Love, then, yes, it would have been me right behind you in the queue.

If so, thanks for your company and I hope I kept a steady hand for your video memory! :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:23 pm 

Selfridges signing... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/user/bryanferry? ... 4vnBGtdRPk