VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bryan Ferrys Automobiles
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:04 am 

I stumbled upon an interesting article featured in The Telegraph by Neil Lyndon, from 2010 about what Our Hero
has an eye for as far as automobiles go. Being interested in "all things Ferry" to quote Windswept2 ;) I was very interested to see what caught his eye as far as cars go as my late husband David was quite a car buff and collector, and being from the Detroit area I have ties to the industry.

My close and very dear friend Don Sherman is an occasional editor and longtime writer for Car and Driver magazine, and is close friends with Dave Mclellan, designer of the Corvette, one of Mr Ferrys favourite machines.

At the time the article was printed, he owned an Audi A8 luxury sedan, and to quote Mr Ferry, "It's very discreet," and "It's the best car I've ever driven, although I am not really a car fanatic."
"I usually drive it myself, though sometimes I like to be driven and recline the front passenger seat all the way back and go to sleep." :D
Tasteful Elegance, would we expect any less?

He also talks about his 1957 Studebaker Champion,
A car he owned in his early days.
"It was elegant and understated in a similar way to the A8.
I loved the way that car looked, though I had to push it a lot more than I drove it."

He also owns a 1990 black Corvette,
"But I hardly ever take it out. Mostly, I just like to look at it and enjoy that amazing sculptural quality that some cars can have."

I am sure Mr Ferry would appreciate the beautiful design of my personal favourite, the italian Zonda Pagani.
Unfortunately way out of my budget range, my young son Dave came rolling up into our driveway one day a few years ago in one accompanied by aforementioned family friend and Car and Driver writer Don Sherman, who had his hands on this sexy machine for a test drive/ review and thought Dave would enjoy takin it for a spin

Ummmmm He got it up to a scary 165 mph on a side road near our house in Michigan......

To own one for purely aesthetic value, like a large sculpture.
Oh, to be in Ferryland :)

You can read the whole article online, sorry I do not know how to add a link to it;
It is called : Audi A8:Old School Charmer, from The Telegraph by Neil Lyndon

Attachments:
2010-12-11-Pagani-03-049DEFDEF.jpg
2010-12-11-Pagani-03-049DEFDEF.jpg [ 82.95 KiB | Viewed 16648 times ]
1990-Corvette-ZR-1.jpg
1990-Corvette-ZR-1.jpg [ 31.62 KiB | Viewed 17071 times ]

Last edited by teresa on Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:59 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferrys Automobiles
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:28 am 

I recall that about six or seven years ago BF was hired to "promote" the Audi brand. And his PR relationship with the company stills seems to be in effect Check out this pix from last April:

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news- ... /470839998

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:53 am 

Wow, thanks for that DCJ,
It doesn't surprise me that he would stay with the same model car
As long as they keep making them ;)
Once you find something you really like.....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:40 pm 

He had a Bentley quite recently (maybe still has it). A "mate" saw him in a 911 too, driving it. Down a one way country lane near his house. Maybe his. Apparently Mr F refused to reverse. But knowing my "mate", he may have been the aggressor, not Bry!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:39 am 

He owned a Bentley Continental GT at one time Roxysiren. He has been driving Audi cars since at least 2003/4.

Bryan with his 1957 Studebaker which he bought in 1968.

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:38 am 

Roxy wrote:
He owned a Bentley Continental GT at one time Roxysiren. He has been driving Audi cars since at least 2003/4.

8-)

Wow Roxy
Thank you for that addition
I got my pictures off the internet and that Champion in the picture I posted above doesn't really look like Bryans model
His looks more like a sport car
The one I posted is the four door sedan model of the Champion
That is a great picture 8-)

Last edited by teresa on Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:48 am 

RoxySiren wrote:
He had a Bentley quite recently (maybe still has it). A "mate" saw him in a 911 too, driving it. Down a one way country lane near his house. Maybe his. Apparently Mr F refused to reverse. But knowing my "mate", he may have been the aggressor, not Bry!

Thanks for that RoxySiren
It sounds like Bryan really enjoys driving 8-)
Even though at least in that article he says
"I am not really a car fanatic." :)

Last edited by teresa on Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:01 am 

Roxy wrote:

Roxy would you mind if I replace that photo above of the Studebaker I posted with your photo? That way it will be the right model Studebaker. 8-)

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:12 pm 

Grumpy Old Git request (probably suffering from gig fatigue & insufficient sleep! lol)...

It should be possible to reply to posts here by cutting & pasting only the relevant bits of the original post, without needing to copy and re-copy entire posts, including large photos; it's taking far too long to wade through the forum these days. Many thanks. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:35 pm 

Fanatical Ferryistas,
W2 remembers the Studebaker well albeit he never connected it to our hero until many years later.
It was a permanent fixture parked in Jesmond near an old girlfriend's place. Bizarrely, it never seemed to move but it was quite a talking point. There weren't many stand out cars in Newcastle back then. The only other notables were club Annabel's owner, Kayu Poostchi's Corvette and designer Nigel Cabourn's 911. Most of the rest, Windswept included were either on Lambrettas or Triumphs.
During the early '90s our hero also drove an Alfa Romeo 164, quite a stylish voiture for the epoc. Windswept with his slavish love of all things Ferry bought one.
It was a big mistake and W2's edition probably had the same level of reliability as The Bonny Lad's Studebaker and never made it into a great song!
This was the last time W2 allowed musical fanaticism to influence his taste in voitures and he won't be buying an Audi!
Jags forever Audi never - mind you, it doesn't rhyme in Virginia Plain!
Salutations,
W2