VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: The Jazz Age
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:26 pm 

I like "The Jazz Age" and have found it a good companion when I'm hunkered down on the computer doing some focused writing (i.e. not blogging on VRM!!!) For some reason I usually skip over DTS but find the rest of the album very listenable - in particular I like STL and TIE.

In truth TJA is not really a BF album, it is more akin to "tribute" albums that present an artist's work as interpreted by a string quartet. That said, I like it quite a lot. However, the vocal version of LITD done for the Great Gatsby movie is not something I have much interest in...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:10 am 

I agree with Avalon_ eyes.
I don't think he did it for the money, it was an experiment which was generally critically acclaimed and led into the great tour of Autumn 2013 and of course a contribution to The Great Gatsby soundtrack which probably was more lucrative for the Bryan Ferry Orchestra.
I must admit, though, I have not played it for a while .....

I have bought it, as I have done all Ferry/Roxy albums. I have listened to it probably once and think he was quite brave with the album and has always looked at different musical moods. I have got to say it was well thought out and executed, but it isn't my cup of tea. I think it was taken positively and the right way by the press. As a Ferry/Roxy fan, it always felt a tad like a franchise to me and not really him ! :o

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:08 am 

Bonjour tout le monde!

I regard Jazz Age as a Ferry/Good project. Let´s say I listen to it once a month. All in all I like it with This island earth as a clear favourite. I was surprised when it came out that BF didn´t sing. Surely it would have attracted a broader audience.
Nice to see that the tour in America went very well and that BF seems to be strong and healthy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:27 pm 

Hello everyone!
I LOVE 'The Jazz Age'! I'm listening to it on a hot afternoon in Belfast in my garden as I write. I know others such as (gone but never forgotten) Windswept also enjoyed it.
I also wouldn't write it off as a critical success but a commercial failure...It led to the soundtrack of 'The Great Gatsby'. Also, I thought people might be interested in this article from 'Variety' about BMG:

http://variety.com/2013/music/news/bmg- ... 200001782/

Particularly:
'Masuch points to the new album by former Roxy Music lead vocalist Ferry — “The Jazz Age,” an album of hot-jazz arrangements of the musician’s repertoire, issued in the U.S. on Feb. 12 — as an ideal example of the type of project BMG sees as worthy of sponsorship — one that helps artists access their market, without the company overexposing itself financially.

Masuch sees Ferry as an iconic talent who wants a bigger output level. “Very quietly in Europe, we’ve sold around 70,000 digital bundles and albums of ‘The Jazz Age,’ ” he notes. “(There’s) nothing wrong with an artist selling 20,000 or 30,000 units of a record. Nobody has proved that only artists or records where $500,000 (is) invested have the right to be properly marketed.”
Finally CBW2!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:08 pm 

Bon Jour Oberon!

I miss you here at the forum..
This Island Earth..
What a Beautiful Song Title

Ferry Good.. :lol: ;)

Thank you for the links Manifesto
An Afternoon in your Belfast garden sounds Sublime :D

And I miss WS2..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:44 pm 

Chère Teresa!
Thanks for your kind words!
This time of the year I am busy looking after all trees & plants in the garden. But in the evening I sit down with a glass of wine and listen to BF. Olympia and Frantic have been played a lot this summer.
Salutations de Naxos!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:46 pm 

Has this become a dating site or what?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:28 am 

STUDEBAKER wrote:
Has this become a dating site or what?

STUDEBAKER. ...marry me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:38 pm 

NO!