VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Olympia - Favourable Reviews
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:58 am 
Site Owner

As this forum has been accused of being negative I thought I would reserve this thread for people who like the new album once they hear it next week.

J.O'B.

Post subject: Re: Olympia - Favourable Reviews
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:39 pm 

Having heard the album courtesy of the guardian (though the later tracks seem to have got jumbled up a bit), first impressions are that it is a good album, well produced and considering the amount of players on the tracks doesn't sound cluttered. My concern is the same as I had when you can dance was released in the summer, is radio going to play it other than when Ferry is being interviewed? The new Elton John/Leon Russell album is radio two's album of the week and already attracting (I think) far more airplay considering that the two albums are released the same day, Robert Plant and Tom Jones had considerable coverage when their albums were released a couple of weeks back.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:34 pm 

Its growing on me with every listen. Song to the Siren will become a classic I think.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:54 pm 

Indeed John, methinks alot of fans here are complaining about BF's new album. They should go away and start their own website to vent their complaints, of which I don't read and In My Mind, they are not true fans like most are here.

I love everything I've heard from OLYMPIA!

I'll be promoting it here in Montreal! Some of the DJs here are my friends.

E

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:11 pm 

Olympia gets 4 out of 5 stars:

http://www.musicomh.com/albums/bryan-ferry-3_1010.htm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:07 pm 

The fifth play today of Olympia has just ended (home alone with too much time on my hands due to redundancy) and personally I think the album is Ferry's finest solo effort to date.
I admit I was a little concerned when hearing individual songs over the past few weeks/months but when taking in the entire collection as an album it's an impressive and sometimes beautiful piece of work.
OK, there's a track or two that seem weaker than the others (name any BF or RM album where this isn't the case) but even then it's just because the rest are so strong.
It's a modern and glamorous offering from a man who deserves great credit for producing such relevant, quality material in 2010.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:19 pm 

Totally won over over now. I think hearing You Can Dance and Shameless so far in advance and then snippets meant it didnt hang together. I think its really good and SFTS will be a classic.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:13 am 

A good album for BF to return with - some nice new songs on there - "Song To The Siren" is the stand out track for me, but will get my teeth (and my ears) into it next week !

Robert.
:D :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:39 pm 

I've had Olympia for 4 days, (sorry) and wanting to give it my complete attention, have just now played it in its entirety. I'm stunned. Its all I'd hoped for. Modern. Classy. Sexy, even. You Can Dance sounds better as part of a whole, and played through the hi-fi. it's , and the whole album, has got a groove , and I like it. Well, I did like Mamouna, too. Not sure why some have expressed negative opnions. I think they want to Do the Strand all over again.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:42 pm 

Having watched the premier of "You Can Dance" this past Summer, I must admit I was expecting Olympia to be a cold and robotic output a la Mamouna. After processing Olympia for three days now, I feel foolish for ever doubting Ferry's abilities and judgment. It's sublime with rich atmospheric textures and the thoughtful lyrics one comes to expect from any Ferry album.

Standout tracks for me include "Shameless," "Song to the Siren," "Tender is the Night," and, Bryan's favorite track on the album, "Reason or Rhyme."

A little criticism...

Ironically, "BF Bass (Ode to Olympia)," with its references to modern technology, sounds the most hopelessly dated. It's hard to balance the thought that the same two men who wrote "Amazona" would churn out the lyrics "Love, Love, You Fit Me Like a Glove."

I must commend Isaac Ferry for the elegant documentary he directed for the "deluxe" edition. If only there was such foresight to videotape the recording of Roxy Music's first few albums.