VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tour Commences
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:59 pm 

So the tour starts tonight US time. Very interested to see the set list. Got a feeling songs from Avonmore won't feature much but who knows. Would love it to be solo stuff from These Foolish Things up to The Bride Stripped Bare with a few Roxy classics. What do you all think?

Post subject: Re: Tour Commences
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:53 pm 

Hard to say what will be new/different, but one big thing that's new is that keyboard player Christian Gulino is taking over as Music Director. That's got to have some impact on the sound of the live band, but exactly what it will mean is hard to say. I suppose we'll have to figure it out listening to concert clips posted on Youtube...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:08 am 

Hi Jerry. As discussed when we bumped into one another in supermarket last week, let's hope for a revitalised 2017 set list. As it is 40 years from the release of Bryan's best solo album (notwithstanding the great man's inexplicable antipathy) then a heavy emphasis on In Your Mind (sans Tokyo Joe) would seem appropriate - and for us old timers would also hit the spot. First and last tracks from that album would be particularly well received in Avondale Towers.
All I Want Is You (another discarded gem) would be much appreciated also.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:24 am 
Site Owner

The set list for the first show can be found here:

http://www.vivaroxymusic.com/tours_39_setlist.php

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:29 am 

Bryan Ferry Setlist at Hard Rock Live, Hollywood, FL, USA

No significant changes...

India
The Main Thing
Slave to Love
Ladytron
Oh Yeah
Windswept
Out of the Blue
Bête Noire
Zamba
Stronger Through the Years
Like a Hurricane
Tara
Take a Chance with Me
Re-Make/Re-Model
In Every Dream Home a Heartache
If There Is Something
More Than This
Avalon
Love Is the Drug
Virginia Plain
Both Ends Burning
Editions of You

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:35 am 

Bonjour!
Thanks, John, for posting the set list for us eagerly waiting!
Funny, I was just thinking that Windswept might be a good idea!
All in all, I am pleased with the list, most important was that Bête Noir is still on. Crowdpleasers must be there, please replace Virginia Plain and Editions of you with Running wild and Jealous guy when the show comes to Europe!
Bonne journée!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:43 am 

So no real surprises on first night - maybe the occasional treat for us long-timers will be added as the tour progresses? If Love Me Madly Again was being rehearsed as recently reported then hopefully it will appear at some stage, along with more of the In Your Mind album which is ripe for reappraisal. And yes, Avondale, the return of All I Want Is You is long-awaited and long-overdue in my opinion!

I suppose we have to accept that many attending will just want The Hits and he is not only catering for those of us who have seen him many times. Some at the RAH on the Evening With Bryan Ferry tour in 2013 were heard to complain that he only played the instrumental jazz orchestra version of "Avalon" and not the usual one. You can't please everyone. Interestingly no "Jealous Guy" - was this a significant hit in the US on release? I can't remember - so maybe this is kept more for European setlists?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:16 am 
Site Owner

When you study the set there are only 9 out of 21 songs were released as singles, so I would say Bryan caters more for his seasoned cognisenti fans than the hit seekers.

I would hope that first night is out of the way with a new band that he will bring in more set changes/additions ...that's what he has done the last few tours.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:36 pm 

It's interesting that nothing from Avonmore is included in the set. I thought that perhaps Avonmore itself or Loop Di Lei would make it but apparently not... (BTW, the version of LDL on the 2015 BF Live album is REALLY REALLY good IMHO

Otherwise the set list is pretty middle of the road as far as I'm concerned. The Main Thing is a very middling Roxy track in my opinion but Windswept is def something new/different.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:33 pm 

Decent set list. Glad to see Jealous Guy out, now if we could just get rid of Oh Yeah, Love Drug, and replace it with the Spedding featured Love Me Madly Again ! I agree with JOB that edits to list will be made as the tour progresses. Will be there in NY in a few weeks.