VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry - 1994 - Mamouna Documentary
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:00 pm 

Oberon wrote:
Merci beaucoup, Roxy!
This was very interesting. All Ferry is good Ferry, but Mamouna is, for me, his most original, personal album. While Avalon had a perfect balance between being commercial and yet artistically brilliant, Mamouna was perhaps too sophisticated to reach a broad audience. I attended three shows in Tokyo after itś release; as far as I remember, only Mamouna was played from the album. And then he started the Frantic tour with My only face - à la Ferry!

Forensic Ferryistas,

Like a moth to a flame, Windswept is drawn back to this hallowed cyber hall by the perceptive nature of the peerless Oberon's remarks.

Encore une fois Oberon is absolutely correct. Mamona is our hero's masterpiece and his most personal work. It is an album that demands to be listened to in its entirety. It's completely seamless, there is not a mis-step on it and it sounds as fresh today as it did back then.

W2 saw this show at London's Apollo in '94 and he did play Mamouna, Your Painted Smile and NYC on that particular evening. But, as Oberon so elegantly puts it: 'a la Ferry' he is capable of a set list that has little to do with his current output.

It was great to see this video again (merci Roxy) because it perfectly encapsulates the artistry of his process and the joie de vivre of those involved (RIP David Williams).

Mais, not everything is perfect with the film. The check shirt is a rare sartorial error and I'm sure our hero would love to re-shoot with something more appropriate. But, in a way, it shows that it was only Cary Grant that never made a mistake!

The Garbo inspired 'The Only Face' remains the best track on the album but the best version he ever did of that song was when performing live for Jools Holland. He did a fresh arrangement for the show that included a blistering harmonica solo that would shiver the timbers of the most cynical feather boa wearer.

W2 is writing this epistle in the most difficult of circumstances. It is nearly a year since his last live FerryFix and his withdrawal symptoms are extreme and only endless playing of our hero's catalogue sooths him. That said, summer is nearly here and Hampton Court beckons and this years set list features Windswept - W2 can't wait.

a bientôt,

W2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:48 pm 

Hi WS2, nice to have you back! :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:30 pm 

That's what I call good news - WS2 is back! I missed your sophisticated postings. Three years of French at school help to understand your postings ;-) Welcome back!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:33 pm 

Welcome back - finally! The place was a little less colorful without you here

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:44 am 

I've been having a lousy time lately.....seeing W2 reappear has really cheered me up!!

Salut!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:02 pm 

Cher W2!
Bon retour parmi nous. Je suis trés content que tu es revenu!
The tour in America seems to have been very successful. The versions of Wasteland & Windswept are fabulous!
Bonne soirée à tous!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:31 am 

Welcome Back W2!

... that's a good start to the week....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:14 am 

Welcome back. Don't ever flounce off again! :D

Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry - NY Show
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:46 pm 

Back from the Upstate NY show. All in a good time and a fun night. BF voice held up well for about an hour and then Fonzi did the heavy lifting. Set list still 90% Roxy dominant, Tokyo Joe out, Bitter Sweet in. The first half of the show was much better than the hits at the end. However, songs continued to be cut short, BQ, LadyTron, DreamHome, all significantly shortened. Good to see Spedding but he was wasted. Other than a short solo during Hurricane, he strummed basic rhythm chords for the entire night. Not sure why he is brought in. Jorja continues to shine and is often given center stage. At 71, BF still looks great and its good to see the effort. Hopping that when he is back for the West coast dates he shakes up the set list and maybe even some new material.Otherwise not sure I return for the 4th time in less than 1 year.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:52 am 

Windswept............how nice to see you sashay through the cyber hall and I hope that 2017 has been treating you well.

I am honoured that the contents of my Ferry cabinet enticed you to have a little fandango once again.

Stay tuned, I have more to dust off. :)

8-)