VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Best Version
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:16 pm 

Clearly the head to toe leather he sported for the 'In Your Mind' tour is no longer an option. Mark you, I hear Honor Blackman can still squeeze into her's !

I'm not sure that she'd consider it the most flattering look for a lady who will turn 92 over August bank holiday weekend... ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:54 am 

:lol:
Well Said Smudge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:30 am 

The Mature Rocker... :D 8-)

What do you mean
No one wants to see a 70 something guy
in a Skin tight Catsuit....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:13 pm 

I'm pretty sure that the Nijinsky pics Teresa popped in are stills from a short film of him, which I saw on some documentary I watched about him a few years after the Mamouna tour.

When Nijinsky made his entrance, he showered handfuls of glitter into the air, which is what Bryan did at his entrance to the opening track, I Put a Spell on You....

Subtle.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:13 pm 

Rendezvous,

I just read a really fascinating account of his life, and not to get too far off our thread here, but he lead a really tragic life, he was afflicted with schizophrenia....

And he achieved most of his fame and did most of his ballet work before the age of 28!

Another Side Note....

My lovely friend in the picture I posted with Chris Spedding said to me today

"Need more Bryan"
Ahahaha We all do :lol:

A Ferryfix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:39 pm 

Mes Amis,

We have digressed to good effect but to return to the matter in hand, W2 has selected 'Chance Meeting' for our 'The Best Version' discussion.

The three versions in Windswept's library are:

1.Roxy Music (VO) 1972

2.Let's Stick Together 1976

3.Le Grand Rex 2000

The original version serves as a sampler as to how a very experimental Roxy might approach a really haunting love song and stands the test of time but it is IWNSHO
really surpassed by the 1976 arrangement.

It's only recently that W2 has come to appreciate how significant the 'Let's Stick Together' album is. Our hero took five Roxy songs, re-made re-modelled them and in every instance came up with superior arrangements and superior vocals. It must have been quite galling for the rest of the band. Nowhere is that more true than with 'Chance Meeting', the song really comes of age on LST.

That said it is Le Grand Rex version that trumps all others. It is absolutely sublime. Colin Good's piano is amazing and the string and brass section just take the whole thing to a completely different level. The stars were aligned with the ATGB tour. As time goes by, it is becoming abundantly clear that it doesn't get any better than this. 'Chance Meeting' was the first self penned song Ferry played on that set list and it followed absolute classics seamlessly. Not many songsmiths from W2's era could manage that trick. If this version doesn't do it for you, check your pulse!

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:40 pm 

I love all the versions, the LST one always gets me smiling, I love the Frankenstein blitzkrieg drum and guitar.

The ATGB version is just stunning too. I have always felt that show was perfection, the interpretation of songs old and new was magical.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:49 pm 

The three versions in Windswept's library are:

1.Roxy Music (VO) 1972

2.Let's Stick Together 1976

3.Le Grand Rex 2000

The results of the Bavarian jury are:

1. RM 1972: 12 points - because the love song lyrics contrast with a brilliantly arranged experimental sound that always gave me a feeling of desperation. Anyway, feather boa at it's best 8-).

2. Le Grand Rex: 10 points - because BF remembered his old masterpiece and Colin Good invented a modern arrangement for CM that worked very well.

3. LST 1976: 2 points. Superfluous in PM's (not so) humble opinion. Never change a winning team - the early Roxy Music. But two points because all Ferry is good Ferry :lol: .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:53 pm 

teresa: "I just read a really fascinating account of his life, and not to get too far off our thread here, but he lead a really tragic life, he was afflicted with schizophrenia....

And he achieved most of his fame and did most of his ballet work before the age of 28!"

Never heard that before - thanks, Teresa, for information and pics ;) . How did your friend get so close to Mr. Spedding? Ah, I know, because she is lovely :lol: .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:13 am 

I really Love Everything about the album
Viva! Roxy Music, including the version
At 15:28.. of Chance Meeting

https://youtu.be/pF-fua9kPXc

And I really Love the nice work this
YouTube poster did,
Matching the Classic and Beautiful British film Brief Encounter...

https://youtu.be/6rO3wbkRFFk

And of W2s top 3 versions
I think my favourite is The Grand Rex...
A Perfect description W2, "Sublime"....

There is Something about that Grand Rex concert in general that just brings out the very best in every song he did there
That Sweaty Intensity

https://youtu.be/aP1UfF08A5s

All Ferry is Good Ferry..

But Most Ferry
Is Brilliant Ferry

Ahaha
Yes
Even IYLSE

Last edited by teresa on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next