VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Best Version
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:31 pm 

Thank you for the excellent review, Pianoman. I'm already getting excited about tomorrow's show in Hamburg 8-)

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:44 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
pianoman wrote:
More than this dear Pianoman, we need your appreciation of 'More Than This'.

a bientôt

Windswept

Quel faux-pas, Monsieur Windswept, mais voilà:

My favourite Roxy songs at the beginning of their career have always been Virginia Plain and Do The Strand. At the end of their career as a recording band it was definitely Take A Chance With Me and, of course, More Than This.

There is so much longing in the lyrics, in Bryan's voice and in the instrumentation (Phil's guitar chords, synthetic strings etc.) that you have to call it a masterpiece even if the song makes do with few words and chords. But that's the most difficult in songwriting, as we all know.

So I have to say that the original version is my number one, but the slow Glastonbury 2014 version (my #2) was a fantastic idea to adapt the song to Bryan's weaker, fragile voice. It's really a goosebump moment when you can hear a needle drop while Bryan sings More Than This at his Nord stage piano only accompanied by guitar, synthesizer and background voices. Chapeau! I'd love to hear that on a cd record some day ;).

Last edited by pianoman on Tue May 16, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:52 pm 

Lonely Dreamer wrote:
Thank you for the excellent review, Pianoman. I'm already getting excited about tomorrow's show in Hamburg 8-)

I am sure you will enjoy the show, Lonely Dreamer 8-) ! And I'm a little curious whether he will play 'Simple Twist Of Fate' in HH. In a recent interview he suggested that the die-hard German Roxy/Ferry-fans live in Munich, Hamburg and Berlin :lol: .

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:07 pm 

Did he not mention Kempten?! :shock:

I missed that interview, do you have a link?

And yes, I hope he'll play "Simple Twist of Fate" I love that song.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:26 pm 

Lonely Dreamer wrote:

Astonishingly not ;) . As much as I hoped to go to a Ferry concert on foot, he never sank so low that he had to play in a town hall near the Bavarian Alps :lol: .

http://www.fnp.de/nachrichten/kultur/Br ... 79,2615112

Fingers crossed. Standing ovations could be helpful 8-) .

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:25 pm 

pianoman wrote:
Lonely Dreamer wrote:

Astonishingly not ;) . As much as I hoped to go to a Ferry concert on foot, he never sank so low that he had to play in a town hall near the Bavarian Alps :lol: .

:lol:

pianoman wrote:
Lonely Dreamer wrote:

http://www.fnp.de/nachrichten/kultur/Br ... 79,2615112

Thx!

pianoman wrote:
Lonely Dreamer wrote:

Fingers crossed. Standing ovations could be helpful 8-) .

I'll do my very best!

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:59 pm 

After very careful consideration of the Casanova conundrum I think I would have to put the original Country Life version at the top of my list of favourites. I love Bryan's theatrical performance of the lyrics. Of the remaining solo versions I favour the Grand Rex 2000/ATGB 99 version. I am a sucker for strings and alongside Julia Thornton's percussion it made a very good alternative version. Tollwood was also great and the 79 another refreshing different version. I had been listening to some live shows from the 79 tour previously and Dave Skinner added some lovely keyboards which gave the Roxy tunes a different edge.

I had the idea that I would search my music files for Casanova and was shocked to find 27 listed from various live shows and albums which maybe 3-4 duplicated from the original studio version. I considered listening to a playlist including all versions but time has been tight this week so perhaps a project for another time.....another place. ;)

It was also interesting to find that Casanova was not on the set list for any of the UK CL Tour shows including the very excellent Newcastle City Hall 74 show. It was included on some of the US dates much later in the tour..........I wonder why it was not included for the UK but then added for the US :?

8-)

8-)

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:38 pm 

Roxy wrote:

It was also interesting to find that Casanova was not on the set list for any of the UK CL Tour shows including the very excellent Newcastle City Hall 74 show.

Hipsters,

A great Casanova appreciation from Roxy. Although W2's verdict is somewhat different he understands completely where she is coming from.

It's also interesting that they didn't include the track in their UK CL shows.W2 was at that gig and honestly can't remember but, if correct, it means that the first time Windswept will have heard 'Casanova' live would have been during the 'In Your Mind' tour when Bryan would almost certainly have played the LST version.

By deduction this means that the only time W2 has actually heard Roxy play Casanova would have been during the Manifesto tour.
An interesting piece of trivia that probably only interests W2 but there you have it.

Coming soon to this thread - 'In Every Dream Home A Heartache'

Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:04 am 

In Every Dream Home...

I So Enjoy Talkin Roxy/Ferrytalk with such
Intelligent, Witty, Fun Ferryistas :lol:

Is There a Heaven?
I'd Like to Think So.....

Last edited by teresa on Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:05 pm 

Perpetual Procrastinators,

W2 has interrupted his arduous preparations for The Hampton Court show to discuss that most dramatic of chansons 'In Every Dream Home A Heartache'.

Windswept is the proud custodian of four versions of this haunting critique of the emptiness of opulence. They are:

1. For Your Pleasure (VO 1973)
2. Live in London (1979)
3. Roxy Music Live (2001)
4. Rendez- Vous with Jane Birkin (2004)

IWNSHO 1-3 can be discussed ensemble because they share the same structure.

The song itself is quite brilliant and serves as a perfect example of Ferry's capacity to stand outside of things and to observe with the eye of an artist. The way he leads us through the futility of the material world to the point were we are considering love with an inflatable doll is absolutely masterful. 'I blew up your body but you blew my mind' is surely one of the most awaited lyrics in pop and the ensuing pregnant pause followed by the guitar fest and sing out chorus has long been one of Roxy Music's defining live moments.

That said, it is the version with Jane Birkin that particularly grabs Windswept's imagination these days. He loves the way the whole thing has been stripped back with the keyboard and synthesiser being largely substituted by Chris Spedding's simple and oh so haunting guitar riff.
W2 also likes the way the head banging third act guitar fest is superseded by some nice adult electronica. Birkin and Ferry's voices match perfectly and the whole thing has the same incredibly sexy vibe that Ferry gave to his interpretation of 'Johnny & Mary'.

This is currently Windswept's favourite version although he knows his verdict will have traditionalists trying to strangle him with their feather boas.

Friends of W2 will also be pleased to know that his preparations for Hampton Court continue to go well. His personal trainer has succeeded in stretching him into full a Nijinsky pose in anticipation of our hero including 'Do The Strand'. He just has to manage it after three large Hendricks and tonic to confident of success on the night!

a bien tot,

Windswept.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next