VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Best Version
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:39 pm 

Philosophical Philanderers,

W2 has returned to his virtual turntable and has been spinning our hero's epic chanson about that ultimate philanderer 'CASANOVA'.

Windswept is the proud curator of five versions of this gem.

Few of our hero's masterpieces have undergone such dramatic transformations and W2's appreciation is as follows:

Country Life 1974 - W2 liked rather than loved this. IWNSHO it was
not the standout track on the album. It sounded and still sounds uncharacteristically heavy. The vocals were very edgy and the whole thing was too guitar central. Best listened to wearing platforms, with a pint of IPA in hand whilst doing a slow heavy head nod. You are involved with a blond lady that Mrs W still hasn't forgotten and your hair is too long and you haven't mastered the Ferry quiff.

Let's Stick Together 1976 - This arrangement is phenomenal and is a complete transformation. The tempo is faster. It has a great key board intro. The percussion is fantastic and the whole thing is jazzed up and given a much greater sophistication. Best listened to whilst
posing at Annabel's top bar. You are sporting your new suit from Marcus Price whilst nursing a rum snatch and surveying the field. Mrs W is at the loo and your Ferry quiff is perfect.

Roxy Music Live 1979 - This one is a hybrid. It's as with Ferry prefers his solo version but can't persuade the band to go with it. Consequently it's more or less the CL version done at the LST tempo.
Really only notable for its energy and Mackay's tremendous sax solo.
That said, all Ferry is good Ferry and every band alive would kill to be able to play like this. Best listened to at the gig itself - Newcastle City Hall - you are still buying your suits at Marcus Price, your quiff is strategically dipped below one eye, you've married Mrs W and you are still drinking pints.

Le Grand Rex 2000 - The LST arrangement is taken to new heights with this live performance. The song is given the 'Good' touch with fabulous strings. This band are just golden and Ferry's vocals are great. A definite career high. Best listened in Paris's Silenceo. You are wearing smoking sans cravat and quaffing champagne. Mrs W has gone to bed and your Ferry quiff is immaculate but grey.

AEWBF Tollwood 2013 - Again, another twist on the LST version. This time using TBFO to full effect. The brass section on this take are just unbelievable and they make the song sound like it could have been written any time since 1920. Ferry's vocals have well and truly matured but are still great. Best listened to at Gatsby's virtual party. We all have magic mirrors that make us look as we were in 1976 - albeit Mrs.W always does and you can drink what you like. The Ferry quiff is thankfully still in tact but is now white.

Finding the best version here is nigh on impossible but after much soul searching, W2 has to come down in favour of the LST cut. It takes it by a head from LGR and AEWBF because it is just so solid. If that doesn't make you dance you haven't got a pulse and yes, although W2 has got a magic mirror he has to admit that those Annabel days were something else.

Ferryistas - your favourite please.

a bientôt,

W2

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:49 pm 

Once again I have assembled the list of tracks via Youtube for members to have a listen. ;)

Country Life - 1974
https://youtu.be/g8jZ2-Ov_Oc

Let's Stick Together - 1976
https://youtu.be/mknVDBHFHz8

Roxy Music - 1979 (The Congresgebouw, Den Haag)
https://youtu.be/Lariq25W8LQ?t=31m37s

Le Grand Rex - 2000
https://youtu.be/pquVE-O9Xmw

AEWBF Tollwood - 2013
https://youtu.be/pQ8dmlSEaG8

8-)

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:13 am 

Good stuff Windswept.

The 1977 live version of Casanova edges the LST album version IMHO; Mel Collins on Soprano Sax is phenomenal live.

But my favourite is the Roxy 79 live version; as moody as the LST album version and with Andy and Phil playing uncharacteristically bluesy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54mlCn7cV7Y

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:10 pm 

Country Life version:
Still my favourite Roxy track. As I've said before, powerful performances from all the lads, I truly adore the Faustian-Dorian Gray hell, stratospheric guitar and The Rue Morgue eerie keyboards. Played while suffering ingrown toenails after wearing platform boots in preceding years, they were a godsend when you're only 5'7".

LST version:
I liked it, nice groove, but I could never truly take it to my heart. Whenever I've seen Roxy or Ferry since I always feel cheated that he doesn't do the original. Which makes my views on the remaining versions kindly posted here a bit superfluous.
Listened to it while administering a mix of navy blue henna and red henna while at art college and getting strange looks from the Hells Angels in The Old Twenty Nine pub. I remember playing pool, cost 25pence, against one of their gang, and doubling the black off a side cushion and regretted it immediately, to my utter shock, the Angels applauded and "little petrol hair punk" was let out alive.

Got to say, of the other versions the Tollwood is nice and should have been extended, the band were really jamming nicely.

Listened to them all at lunchtime. Waiting for another operation on ingrown toenails. Bloody platforms.

Doesn't Bryan look cool and sleazy on the petit dejeuner clip!?

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:27 pm 

Mes Amis,

Encore une fois - thanks Roxy for posting the links but you didn't nominate your favourite? W2's curiosity is killing him!

Rendezvous et Owhawell are clearly favouring versions of the original - although this can be empathised with W2 feels strongly that the real decision is between the LST, ATGB & AEWBF arrangements.

But hey, Roxology is a broad church and all Ferry is good Ferry (except IYLSE)

More views are solicited on 'CASANOVA' before we move on to something extremely controversial.

a bientôt,

Windswept

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:20 pm 

Great topic!

If I turn away from other 'now playing' CDs, presently Deodato btw, I just need to listen to the Country Life version of Casanova to get into a Roxy Music mood and mode, from zero to 100 within seconds. My Roxy favourite, so strong, all on form, the sax, the vocals, perfect bliss.

Then so glad it was included in the ATGB concert, 3rd place then the BF Version.

Best wishes

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:35 pm 

Best version of Casanova: LST with electric piano and sax. Even if I never liked any other Roxy cover version on this album - they are simply superfluous (in pianoman's opinion) ... The 1979 version is very interesting, didn't know about this before. And the original version always seemed too heavy and slow to me.

BTW: I am looking forward to seeing Bryan in Munich on Saturday 8-) !!

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:48 am 

All Ferry Is Good Ferry....
Sigh.. Even IYLSE.... :)

It's So Nice to have you
Back in the Hallowed Cyberhalls WS2...

Talkin Ferrytalk just wasn't
As Fun or Interesting without you!

IMNSHO of course :lol:

Casanova
One of My Absolute Favourites

And that Petit Dejuner show Bryan did is Absolutely Priceless!
There's a part (here) where the hotel manager (I'm assuming)
Tells Bryan when he returns for a visit
That his girlfriend has died
In A Flaming Crepe Explosion... :lol: :lol:
Poom!!! Ex Plo Sion :lol:
How did he manage to keep a straight face?????

https://youtu.be/YMuPCcFhD2I

This Sweaty, Dark, Sexy version
I think The Grand Rex
Is my choice

https://youtu.be/pquVE-O9Xmw

Casanova
Is That Your Na Ha ha Hame
Or Do You Live There...

And Matthew Becker, Bryans
Fabulous photographer, recently posted this picture of Bryan..
He looks So Happy,

May He Continue to
Do What He Does Best
Forever :)

Attachments:
13708184_10154329013874857_4032181705348313169_o.jpg
13708184_10154329013874857_4032181705348313169_o.jpg [ 157.64 KiB | Viewed 9875 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:38 pm 

Am I the only one that loves the CL version? Acid guitar...sneering hateful vocal...contempt oozing from every bar....

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:39 pm 

...doesn't mean I don't like the serpentine snake charming vibe of the lst version though :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next