VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Best Version
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:43 pm 

Cher W2, tu as vraiment trouvèe quelquechose trés interessent encore une fois, merci! Cette fois, je ne suis pas d'accord, mais, comme tu dis souvent toi- même, roxy church is generous!
Casanova is not a favourite of mine, in my opinion is one of the weakest song from Country life! Anyway, the version with the excellent Mel Collins - a great contributer to pop music in general, Camel etc. - is something special.
Viel Spaß am Samstag, pianoman, we are waiting for a report!
Bonne soirée à tous!

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:04 pm 

Oberon wrote:
Bonne soirée à tous!

Tack så mycket, Oberon ;-). What a gift from heaven that our hero is still touring after a 45-year-career! Anybody else attending a concert these days?

- p -

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:44 pm 

Fascinating thread and interested to see where else it will lead. This could run and run!

TOF - I love the original but find the Frantic tour version truly haunting and agree that arrangements like this are real gems that so suit BF's current voice. When it's him at a piano, not competing with a wall of sound, it's truly inspiring.

Casanova - the LST arrangement has a groove but has always felt a little lightweight to me - I prefer the razor-sharp almost snarl of the original and its relentless drive. That said, the ATGB version is, quite simply, a stunner. I could listen to that all day - beautiful strings. A classic example of what made that tour the finest ever - from out of nowhere a virtuoso re-interpretation of the BF/RM songbook.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:05 pm 

RoxySiren,

Don't despair, have you not read the comments from myself, StephenPep and UKRichard!!!?

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:36 pm 

Roxysiren,

Rendezvous, Stephenpep and UK Richard love the CL version too...

So,
You Are in Fabulous Company ;) :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:30 pm 

Apologies for the scan reading of earlier posts...
Yes, it's good to see the company I'm keeping on this wonderfully nuanced niche within a nichette.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:39 pm 

This is a great thread. I think a discussion of the live reworking of More Than This is in order.
Original
Live '02
Live unplugged '14/'15
Live Full Band '15
To me the original is still the greatest but the live versions are also wonderful.
But I truely truely love the unplugged version from Glastonbury. I really agree with UK Richard about solo Bryan and the piano.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:04 pm 

I'm gonna beat the Fabulous Roxy to posting the live versions of MTT that I could find on YT...

Glastonbury 2014
https://youtu.be/jatonZVbl7Y

https://youtu.be/5RhkwOmT7gI

Live Coachella 2014
https://youtu.be/pHb0UgnXeLU

Unknown
https://youtu.be/Wpl_YbHhDTE

Original Video
https://youtu.be/kOnde5c7OG8

My late Beloved husband David
Loved More Than This...
And I left some of his ashes beneath this cross in the US that looks Strikingly similar to the one in the video..

Attachment:
20161009_151758_HDR.jpg
20161009_151758_HDR.jpg [ 239.87 KiB | Viewed 9469 times ]

Last edited by teresa on Sat May 13, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:32 pm 

pianoman wrote:
Oberon wrote:
Bonne soirée à tous!

Tack så mycket, Oberon ;-). What a gift from heaven that our hero is still touring after a 45-year-career! Anybody else attending a concert these days?

- p -

Cher Pianoman,

Have a fabulous night. Oberon is so correct, it is indeed a gift that our hero is still fandangoing after all these years.

Windswept lui-même will be heading to Hampton Court in June and his personal trainer has him on a program of assisted stretching in order that he can manage a full Nijinski Pose. Standing on one leg is never easy when you've drunk so much!

Have a ball and let us know how it goes.

a bientôt ,

W2

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:30 pm 

AzArtist wrote:
This is a great thread. I think a discussion of the live reworking of More Than This is in order.
Original
Live '02
Live unplugged '14/'15
Live Full Band '15
To me the original is still the greatest but the live versions are also wonderful.
But I truely truely love the unplugged version from Glastonbury. I really agree with UK Richard about solo Bryan and the piano.

Elegantly Ageing Hipsters,

AzArtist has stolen W2's thunder and picked the next track. He has proposed MTT - a fabulous idea!

Before Windswept waxes lyrical about the versions proposed (and thank you Teresa for posting the examples), W2 would like to summarise his thoughts on CASANOVA.

During the discussion many renowned Roxologists (albeit Roxy never stated her preference) opined that the CL 'Version Originale ' remains the best.

This has left W2 in a state of shock but he remains completely convinced that his preference for the LST, ATGB, AEWBF and Jazz Age versions is well founded and remains the thinking Ferryista's choice.

That said and despite his refined ear, he doesn't profess to have a monopoly on wisdom so perhaps the mantra that all Ferry is good Ferry (except IYLSE) should prevail. Maybe a late vote from Roxy will swing things more in his favour. He lives in hope.

Now to AzArtist's choice, More Than This, W2 has been spinning the selection on his virtual turn table and his appreciation is as follows:

AVALON (May '82) - Manifesto and Flesh & Blood had made it clear that Roxy were progressively ploughing a new furrow so
when W2 finally got to listen to AVALON in its entirety he wasn't surprised at the direction.
He remembers going out from work to buy the album and took it to a dinner party that night. Fortunately the hosts were fans and after dinner, there was a lull in the conversation and he got to pop the album on their turn table.
There was stunned silence and when MTT came on, W2 remembers thinking it was one of the most beautiful songs he'd ever heard.
It is a song that means different things to you at different times in your life and at that point we were entering into our thirties and it was a time of deepening love both for our partners and our children - 'More Than This You Know There Is Nothing' summed it up beautifully.
The VO has a great tempo, is quite sparse and like the whole album amazingly well produced. The musicianship is faultless and Ferry's vocals are superb.

Live ('02 Reunion Tour) - Ironically, despite W2 priding himself on seeing every Roxy & Ferry Fandango and yes, even The Gas Board, they never played MTT at any gig he attended. They didn't play it when he saw the Avalon tour in Frejus and they didn't play it at Madison Gardens or Radio City on this tour! In fact, W2 was starting to think it was personal and only finally got to see the boy play it live in Sydney (FYP 2011). Talk about having to go to the other end of the world to hear one of your favourite songs played live! Nonetheless, they must have played it somewhere live in '01/'02/'03 and W2 got to hear it on their live album. Pour etre honnete it's not his favourite. They move the tempo up - presumably to allow for some seat dancing. It's competent but doesn't move the creative peanut forward.

Live Unplugged '14/'15 (Glasto Version) - Mon Dieu if you aren't moved by this, you haven't got a heart.
As somebody commented under the Youtube clip, he uses the frailty in his voice to underline the inherent emotional frailty in the song. An absolute master stroke and the stripped arrangement with the backing singers is beyond brilliant. Less is definitely more on this occasion. It's 35 years since the VO and we are all now nearer the end than the beginning. He knows it and he's looking back - we are looking back with him and it is just a fabulous way to do it. Love it beyond words and he should put it on an album otherwise W2 will organise a protest outside Studio One.

Live Album '15 - Again, he didn't play this when W2 saw him at The Palladium - studiously ignored again. That said, it's better than '02 reunion because of it's slower tempo and his mature vocals give it more gravitas.

In summary mes amis, W2 just adores the Glasto live version and wants to see it on a stripped album More Than This there is only the VO.

But this is w2's truth tell him yours.

a bientôt,

W2
Ps Windswept also loves Norah Jones's version of MTT

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next