VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Best Version
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:08 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
Perpetual Procrastinators,

W2 has interrupted his arduous preparations for The Hampton Court show to discuss that most dramatic of chansons 'In Every Dream Home A Heartache'.

Windswept is the proud custodian of four versions of this haunting critique of the emptiness of opulence. They are:

1. For Your Pleasure (VO 1973)
2. Live in London (1979)
3. Roxy Music Live (2001)
4. Rendez- Vous with Jane Birkin (2004)

IWNSHO 1-3 can be discussed ensemble because they share the same structure.

The song itself is quite brilliant and serves as a perfect example of Ferry's capacity to stand outside of things and to observe with the eye of an artist. The way he leads us through the futility of the material world to the point were we are considering love with an inflatable doll is absolutely masterful. 'I blew up your body but you blew my mind' is surely one of the most awaited lyrics in pop and the ensuing pregnant pause followed by the guitar fest and sing out chorus has long been one of Roxy Music's defining live moments.

That said, it is the version with Jane Birkin that particularly grabs Windswept's imagination these days. He loves the way the whole thing has been stripped back with the keyboard and synthesiser being largely substituted by Chris Spedding's simple and oh so haunting guitar riff.
W2 also likes the way the head banging third act guitar fest is superseded by some nice adult electronica. Birkin and Ferry's voices match perfectly and the whole thing has the same incredibly sexy vibe that Ferry gave to his interpretation of 'Johnny & Mary'.

This is currently Windswept's favourite version although he knows his verdict will have traditionalists trying to strangle him with their feather boas.

Friends of W2 will also be pleased to know that his preparations for Hampton Court continue to go well. His personal trainer has succeeded in stretching him into full a Nijinsky pose in anticipation of our hero including 'Do The Strand'. He just has to manage it after three large Hendricks and tonic to be confident of success on the night!

a bientot,

Windswept.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:09 am 

Chers amis!
Only to hear Bête Noir live was worth the trip Naxos - Krakow. The arena was full & the Polish audience was very enthusiastic and noisy. The great pianoman has already given us an excellent revieiw. To that I can only add that I found Marina Moore to be a very welcomed new member of the band. All in all I thougth the band sounded better in -16 than it did in -15 ; and now it is even better! All the replacements have been to the better.
For the first time my son (18) came with me. Of course he has been a "passive smoker" all his life, but I was so pleased to see that he truly enjoyed the show. His highlights were More than this and Tokyo Joe, which were a pleasant surprise. Where or When and Jorja's solo on If there is something were other highlights for me. Talking about Jorja, this black panther without a tail, I can not understand that there are people who miss old RM members. And our hero, yes, he seemed to be in a great form! Thank you BF for the fantastic music and all the inspiration it has given me during all these years!
À W2; I also like the version on Jane Birkin's somehow crazy album!

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:57 pm 

Cher Oberon, first of all many thanks for your lively impressions from Krakow - glad to hear that Bryan has enthusiastic fans in almost every part of the world. Tokyo Joe and Where Or When are on the setlist only from time to time, so you were lucky to hear them. Of course Mme Chalmers, the black panther without a tail, as you put it, is a fantastic musician and a feast for the eyes as well - but please be tolerant as far as pianoman's deep feather boa nostalgia is concerned ;-).

Apropos - M. Windswept: I always had the ambition to own every single studio recording from both Roxy (not that complicated) and Bryan (I had to purchase some rather expensive Japanese versions of his albums ...). Of course I own Jane Birkin's version of IEDHAH but, as you might already have guessed, I prefer the original (feather boa) version from FYP 8-) .

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:20 pm 

I am wary of repeating comments as people may get bored with recurring themes, but i guess it's unavoidable...

When W2 raised the idea of a "stripped" Bryan album a couple of years ago I mentioned the Rendez-vous version as being a great reworking of a song that, really, you would not dare to cover. It is fabulously incongruous.

In effect, Bryan manages, with his versions of More than This, Dream Home etc. to refocus them into a different frame. As we get older I guess sometimes the imagery we thought made us feel one way, touches us differently, like the tone of words, how they are verbalised, changes the message of the words themselves.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:51 pm 

Oberon wrote:

For the first time my son (18) came with me. Of course he has been a "passive smoker" all his life, but I was so pleased to see that he truly enjoyed the show. His highlights were More than this and Tokyo Joe, which were a pleasant surprise.....

I can not understand that there are people who miss old RM members.....

À W2; I also like the version on Jane Birkin's somehow crazy album!

Hedonistic Hipsters,

The family Oberon clearly brought their son up well. He looks to have developed into a man of great taste. Sometimes W2 fears for the youth of today and the mind numbing dross some of them listen to.

Frankly not only is there a literacy and numeracy problem out there, half of them don't know their Tokyo Joe from their Virginia Plain!

The youthful Monsieur Oberon serves as a timely reminder that there is light at the end of this tunnel.

W2 lui-meme continues to struggle with the education of his eldest.

Zut alors, he even likes Coldplay. This is despite being told that this is music for people who don't like music.

W2 will persevere. Happily his youngest has made much better progress and is now in love with the first four Roxy albums. He will be rewarded with an honorary feather boa on the occasion of his next birthday.

With regard to Oberon senior's point about people missing old RM members, W2 couldn't agree more. We passed that rubicon a long ago and Ferry's line ups - particularly since the ATGB tour have been quite phenomenal and this band is really quite strong and yes Jorja is deliriously good.

Finally the fact that Oberon senior supports W2's opinion of the Ferry/Birkin version is further proof that birds of a feather flock together.

a bientôt,

W2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:21 pm 

rendezvous wrote:

....the idea of a "stripped" Bryan album a couple of years ago I mentioned the Rendez-vous version as being a great reworking of a song that, really, you would not dare to cover. It is fabulously incongruous.

In effect, Bryan manages, with his versions of More than This, Dream Home etc. to refocus them into a different frame. As we get older I guess sometimes the imagery we thought made us feel one way, touches us differently, like the tone of words, how they are verbalised, changes the message of the words themselves.

Debauched Diletantes,

Nothing boring about this!

W2 couldn't agree more with Rendezvous's sentiments. Frankly ATGB Windswept becomes more and more convinced that Ferry is our generations Cole Porter. His songs are just so strong that they can lend themselves to a multiplicity of interpretations with the caveat that the interpretations have to be good because the originals were genius.

A case in point is the late Willy Deville's version of 'Slave To Love' . Windswept just loves this arrangement, it is so damn good and IWNSHO way ahead of the original. Yet, it still remains completely a Ferry song. One difference is that Deville was singing it as a memory whereas the original was delivered with that night in mind.

More than this, the stripped album remains an imperative for the thinking Ferryista and hopefully our hero might get to it. It remains Windswept's dream and hopefully he'll get to it. If he does the Birkin version of IEDHAH or similar definitely belongs on it.

Preparations continue for Hampton Court. W2 just hopes his tailor can deliver on time!

Salute,

Windswept

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:29 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
A case in point is the late Willy Deville's version of 'Slave To Love' . Windswept just loves this arrangement, it is so damn good and IWNSHO way ahead of the original.

Thank you, Windswept, I hadn't known that version yet. Very interesting, though I personally prefer the original.

Btw have you noticed Sivert Høyem's cover of More Than This? Our SentimentalFool had discovered it on youtube and made us aware of it a while ago. In my opinion one of the best Ferry covers ever:

Sivert Høyem - More Than This

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:40 pm 

Lonely Dreamer wrote:

Btw have you noticed Sivert Høyem's cover of More Than This? Our SentimentalFool had discovered it on youtube and made us aware of it a while ago. In my opinion one of the best Ferry covers ever:

Sivert Høyem - More Than This

Cher Lonely Dreamer,

Sivert Hoyem has a fabulous voice and this is a great rendition of the VO. It also has some very nice guitar work on it.

That said, it would have been good to see him come with a different arrangement or take on the song. He covers it he doesn't own it.

What W2 likes about our hero's ready mades is that he always comes with something different. He sprinkles Ferry dust on them and makes them his.

That's why W2 likes Deville's take on STL and Norah Jones's version of MTT. In their different ways they make the songs their own and bring something new to them.

Mais, all Ferry is good Ferry.

Salutations

W2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:44 pm 

Lonely Dreamer wrote:

Nice version of MTT, thanks, Lonely Dreamer. The acoustic guitar brings in a touch of folk rock. But it's close to the original compared to others like Norah Jones.

I didn't know that there are so many cover versions of this song. For e. g. this one (Judith Owen with Leland Sklar on bass guitar):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rzhzBq7m30

Is More Than This finally the most covered RM song? (Prince, Blondie, N. Jones, J. Owen, S. Hoffs etc.) ??

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:59 pm 

Don't let us forget this haunting version of STL
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f7LtdCfkiDM

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next