VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Best Version
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:35 pm 

W2,
Ahhhhh
A Man of Consummate Taste! :)

All Ferry is Good Ferry..
Even IYLSE.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But Some Ferry Stands Alone..
More Than This has Such a special place in my heart.

As I stated in my previous post, it was one of my husband's Favourite Songs, and listening to it was what brought me to the Viva site after Bryan had sent me his condolences......

I had told Bryan via the link on his site that it was one of David's Favourite Songs, and that he was Quite a fan, and that I was listening to More Than This specifically because I missed David..
I was Not Expecting a reply...

He was really touched by that, and within a half hour after I had sent this message,
Bryan sent me a personal reply with his condolences to my email.

So this song holds an even More special place in my heart now, knowing that the man who wrote it acknowledged my husband's love of it...

So my favourite version is the Original Video version, this one.... I'm not sure which version this is from the above selection....
https://youtu.be/kOnde5c7OG8

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:58 am 

Great thread this and great to have W2 back.
I know it is slightly off topic but my other favorite artist passed away last year.
Bryan has often mentioned him as one of his favorites.
And when W2 mentioned Nora Jones i'll have a go.
The original studio version from Roxy will always be my favorite but it has not been easy for Bryan to replicate it live.
This is a truly great (almost acoustic) live version!-)

https://youtu.be/UCHxVpUYkAU

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:12 am 

Quote:
During the discussion many renowned Roxologists (albeit Roxy never stated her preference) opined that the CL 'Version Originale ' remains the best.

WS2, my humble apologies but it has been a hectic week in Roxy Towers plus the fact that I really need to go to the desktop to view all versions at the same time. Tablets and phones are great little things but refuse to play some of the Youtube tracks and I like to do my homework properly. :) Now I find I have MTT to revise also........hopefully today. ;)

8-)

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:52 pm 

'THE' Concert, Munich 13/5/2017:

Earl: Her sound was reminiscent of the 1930s/1940s style with a little bit of country and the songs of colleagues like Caro Emerald or Duffy. Yes, she is a good singer and was warmly welcomed by the Munich public. Nevertheless I was irritated by the Midi drum sounds. A real drummer would have worked much better ...

Bryan: Our hero was in a fantastic shape, his voice in a proper condition. He apparently loved what he did, smiled at the public, even though he didn't talk that much to his Bavarian fans. But he knew that the public in the (sold out!) Circus Krone building came to see him, his 45 year repertoire and his wonderfully skilful band. What an evening!

The repertoire: So many early Roxy songs (Re-make/Re-model, Bitter Sweet etc.) - I had never heard them on stage so far. And: In Every Dream Home A Heartache - Munich quality paper Süddeutsche Zeitung had called it once one of the best songs of the 20th century ...

The musicians: Really a great band with no touch of Roxy lite. Jorja Chalmers was the jewel on stage with her andy-esque solo performances and her eno-esque synthesizer squeaking. Jacob Quistgaard showed his extraordinary talents as a rock guitarist and was welcomed by country people waving a Danebrog flag. Chris Spedding treated his spectacular guitars with musicality and routine. Luke Bullen played with great precision and our hero once again showed his harmonica skills. And don't forget Christian Gulino - he played the perfect key arrangement of Tara!

Surprises: So many young people that must have been kids, when Slave To Love was in the charts. My personal goosebump song was 'Like A Hurricane' - wow! Tara is becoming longer and longer but the solo performances in it were absolutely brilliant. Moreover, I was surprised to hear 'A Simple Twist Of Fate' but it worked well as an uptempo encore with Bryan on harmonica.

What I missed: Some more Ferry classics of the 80s + 90s like Don't Stop The Dance, Kiss And Tell or Mamouna.

My conclusion: 24 songs of a great musician with a career that lasts almost half a century. After having bought an Avalon T-shirt for myself we drove back to our home town completely satisfied and happy. And with some kind of melancholy because we don't know whether our hero will ever return. But so far: Thank you Bryan 8-) !!

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:32 pm 

Sounds great pianoman....wish I had been there.

The original More than This...I first heard this on the radio a few weeks before the single or album were released. I had just woken up, switched on the radio, and knew within a nanosecond that it was Roxy. It was like coming home after a long journey.

I was actually going through a terrible time, so the lyrics were reflective and calming.

I didn't like Prince's version when I first heard it, but, revisiting it here, it's better than my initial thoughts, now I think maybe Bryan's stripped down version is a tribute to his friend.

I also think More than This is pretty c!ose to something Dylanesque lyrically.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:42 am 

That sounded like an absolutely
Wonderful evening Pianoman...

Isn't it great to be able to see a true music legend like Bryan Ferry still going strong.

My first two ever Ferry concerts last summer at the Tynemouth Festival in northern England where he hails from and again at the Fox Theatre in Detroit were truly memorable...

Last edited by teresa on Mon May 15, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:33 am 

Vielen Dank, pianoman, for an excellent review. Glad that you enjoyed the show. Agree that it should be nice to hear some newer material, but anyway, as you also mentioned, let`s be happy that our hero is in good shape and keeps on touring! The only thing I hope concerning the show in Krakow, is that he will add Where or When to the set list. If not, je m'en fout, as long as we have Bête Noir!
Cher W2, you can count on me when it comes to that planned demonstration outside Studio 1!
Salutations à tous!

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:55 am 

Roxy wrote:
Quote:
During the discussion many renowned Roxologists (albeit Roxy never stated her preference) opined that the CL 'Version Originale ' remains the best.

WS2, my humble apologies but it has been a hectic week in Roxy Towers plus the fact that I really need to go to the desktop to view all versions at the same time. Tablets and phones are great little things but refuse to play some of the Youtube tracks and I like to do my homework properly. :) Now I find I have MTT to revise also........hopefully today. ;)

8-)

Cher Roxy,
Good luck with your revisions. Nobody ever said a Phd in Roxology was easy!
a bientôt,
W2

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:18 pm 

pianoman wrote:
'THE' Concert, Munich 13/5/2017:

Jorja Chalmers was the jewel on stage with her andy-esque solo performances and her eno-esque synthesizer squeaking.

I was surprised to hear 'A Simple Twist Of Fate' but it worked well as an uptempo encore with Bryan on harmonica.

And with some kind of melancholy because we don't know whether our hero will ever return.

Cher Pianoman,

Sounds like an excellent fandango ! W2 agrees completely.
Jorja is fantastic and has without doubt become our hero's musical muse. Who can blame him?

W2 is pleased that our hero has introduced 'A Simple Twist Of Fate'. It's a great interpretation and a fabulous showcase for his pocket rocket (harmonica).

He has another 13 shows before Hampton Court and W2 hopes these rehearsals in main land Europe aren't exhausting him.

Windswept's preparations for the Hampton gig are continuing unabated. A&S has been briefed on his wardrobe and his trainer continues to stretch him in the hope that he will be able to manage a full Nijinsky pose (W2 is secretly hoping that this can be avoided).

More than this dear Pianoman, we need your appreciation of 'More Than This'.

a bientôt

Windswept

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:02 pm 

a fabulous showcase for his pocket rocket (harmonica

Windswept[/quote]

Ahahahaha :lol: :lol:
Caught that W2

Minds Out of the Gutter Please :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next