VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Anybody else going to the show in Hamburg tomorrow?
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:30 pm 

Anybody else going to see Bryan's show in Hamburg tomorrow night?

How about you, StephenPep, have you overcome your (justified) grudge over the pricing or are you still in boycott mode?

Post subject: Re: Anybody else going to the show in Hamburg tomorrow?
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:04 am 

Guten Morgen Lieber Lonely Dreamer!

I hold up my hands, guilty!

The first time in 30+ years, that I am not attending a concert nearby. A few seats at the back/on the side are still up for grabs in Hamburg, but a repeat of the show from Nov 2015 comes too soon for me personally. I note the fantastic reviews, I really do, and I do not want to ruin anyones pleasure with my negative standing.
I guess I just miss the pure & magnificent Roxy Music (probably why I am listening to Eno's early work), and Bryans solo work of way back when, like Mamouna, Frantic concerts etc. A repeat of the Lite show does not motivate me.
The ticket prices are stupid, but demand is there, just see the prices for the Depeche Mode and Rolling Stones concerts in Germany. (Wow! "meine Herren!").
But, I sincerely wish everyone a great night out at a Bryan Concert. I see Uwe was in Dusseldorf.. another positive review.
So what comes next? I live in hope, Roxy Music 2018?

Enjoy the evening, great to hear that the Great Man is on form and healthly!

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:24 pm 

StephenPep wrote:
Guten Morgen Lieber Lonely Dreamer!

I hold up my hands, guilty!

The first time in 30+ years, that I am not attending a concert nearby. A few seats at the back/on the side are still up for grabs in Hamburg, but a repeat of the show from Nov 2015 comes too soon for me personally. I note the fantastic reviews, I really do, and I do not want to ruin anyones pleasure with my negative standing.
I guess I just miss the pure & magnificent Roxy Music (probably why I am listening to Eno's early work), and Bryans solo work of way back when, like Mamouna, Frantic concerts etc. A repeat of the Lite show does not motivate me.
The ticket prices are stupid, but demand is there, just see the prices for the Depeche Mode and Rolling Stones concerts in Germany. (Wow! "meine Herren!").
But, I sincerely wish everyone a great night out at a Bryan Concert. I see Uwe was in Dusseldorf.. another positive review.
So what comes next? I live in hope, Roxy Music 2018?

Enjoy the evening, great to hear that the Great Man is on form and healthly!

I can understand your point of view and your feelings toward the 2017 tour, StephenPep. The program is not substantially different from the 2015 set list and there is no new album to be presented. On the other hand it was fantastic for me to see Bryan's retrospective on the finishing straight of his career. Perfect musicians, fantastic atmosphere - what else could you want?

Of course, his crispy, fragile voice will never be the same again, but Bryan and his team make the best out of it. And Jorja is absolutely divine as the musical impersonation of both Andy and Eno. But nevertheless she is neither one or the other. And that's one reason for the melancholy a fan of Roxy as a band feels after this concert: Most likely there won't be any further reunion. Not in 2018 and not in 2019.

So enjoy all the records, video films and, of course, your memories, StephenPep. Isn't it fantastic to have a musical passion whereas so many others in our age don't ;-) ?

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:47 pm 

Hello StephenPep and Pianoman,

I can understand both points of view, though, obviously my own view is more similar to that of Pianoman. Honestly it does not really matter that much to me if two or three of twentysomething songs are from a new album or not. And without a new Roxy album I'd be about as sceptical about a Roxy reunion tour as you're about this year's Ferry solo tour ;-) I'd probably go anyway, but I'd have the feeling I'd be going into a museum rather than to a concert - argh, did I really say that out loud in the Roxy Music fan forum? I hope I don't get killed now. :?

A pity you're not coming, StephenPep, I'm going to meet with my friend at an Italian restaurant near the venue, I was going to suggest for you to join us. So maybe next time we can have a short meeting over a glas of wine or beer? (Last time my friend and I arrived at the very last minute, she's coming from the north-west coast and the schedule was simply too tight for a meeting.)

So, anyway, it's a wonderful day here in Hamburg, one of the first warm sunny days after a horrible winter and a spring which, until last week, did not really deserve its name. Have a great day!

Cheers,

Lonely Dreamer

Last edited by Lonely Dreamer on Wed May 17, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:05 pm 

pianoman wrote:

So enjoy all the records, video films and, of course, your memories, StephenPep. Isn't it fantastic to have a musical passion whereas so many others in our age don't ;-) ?

Hipsters,

Encore une fois Pianoman is correct. Ferry keeps us young and his Chameleon like tendencies mean that you are never quite sure what you are going to get - other than it will be good!

Who would have predicted that The Jazz Age would be followed by Avonmore ?

W2's sons ridicule him endlessly about his obsession but ironically they are progressively falling in love with our hero's music.

That said, they remain transient in their tastes and this, IWNSHO, is why they don't become passionate.

A few weeks ago the male Windswepts were relaxing ensemble listening to a little Ferry. W2 commented on how good a particular bass line was and who had played it. The senior of the junior Windswepts commented that he didn't know anybody in his peer group who would have the same knowledge about their music.

This, W2 explained is because Ferryistas have better music, better tailors and in fact have better taste in everything !

Long may it continue.

a tout a l'heure,

Windswept