VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Hampton Court Palace
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:52 pm 

Everyone Enjoy tonight's Hampton Concert!
Roxysiren the weather sounds perfect,
Please post after and let us know how the concert was

Wish I Was There...

WS2
I would just love to see you in your linen suit, full Nijinski :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:08 am 

Hedonistic Hipsters,

'The Windswept Morning Post' (™ pianoman) is published late due to hedonistic activities at Wednesday's Hampton Court Ferry party.

Readers will be pleased to know that the event passed sublimely.

We seriously had 'Both Ends Burning'. We had the hottest June day since Nelson lost his eye and the venue itself was absolutely breathtaking. This itself brought difficulties because there was a surfeit of overweight corporate freeloaders who were obviously more attracted by the venue than the music. They seemed incapable of finding their seats on time - imagine walking in during or after 'The Main Thing' - and then proceeded to talk throughout the show. Even during IEDHAH - sacre bleu! There was a particularly obnoxious man with a bizarre comb over sat behind W2 who spent the whole evening trying to seduce a hooker. How bizarre, Windswept never realised you had to seduce hookers!

Malgre tout cela, our hero continued without a head hair out of place and ploughed his way through the full set list in fine style. We got the complete two jacket edition and he was in good 'mature' voice throughout. The sound was fine albeit, as one renowned Roxologist pointed out, the backing vocals were a little low in the mix.

More than this, the band was as tight as a duck's proverbial. It was great to see Monsieur Spedding taking more joint lead on the guitar front. W2 loves his playing - he adds great texture and depth to the sound.

The rhythm section was rock solid and Jorja Chalmers was absolutely brilliant. Inevitably her excellence demands comparisons with Andy which are futile. It is like comparing any two great artists - it is really a matter of taste. Andy in his pomp could really blow up a complete storm and wasn't afraid to improvise. Jorja is very refined and has a great jazz sensibility but is obviously charged with playing Ferry's stuff to perfection. Both are amazing.

With regard to the overall show, forensic Ferryistas will have noted that there were a good few changes from The London Palladium - the set list drew more heavily than ever (more than 80%) on his Roxy years - but that visually the show had much the same look - no video backdrop, dancers or frills and fancies and the sartorial grunge button remained well, if tastefully pushed. All of this does lead to a ' déjà vu' feeling whereas each previous tour has always felt very fresh and has always had its own exciting vibe.

This meant that although W2 got a damn fine FerryFix in the company of two very refined and renowned Roxologists and did come away as motivated as ever, he hopes that next time out rings the changes and that we get a new concept. Personally he thinks a tour dedicated to 'Ready-Mades' or our hero's solo work would have boundless possibilities. The 'Another Time, Another Place' tour - bring it on - maybe this will make the overweight corporate freeloaders go to a 'Bay City Rollers' concert instead !

Ferry On & attention sur la route.

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:20 pm 

The ready mades tour is an intriguing idea.

And reworking the These Foolish Things album, from its "boyish charm" (not my quote but it's apt) into a reflective, older and not necessarily wiser, confection, would be interesting.

Lots of love to you all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:32 pm 

great report W2, thanks!

Glad you had a Really Good Time despite some distractions.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:51 pm 

Thanks W2. Having moved back to my northern roots, I dipped out of this one - a decision made a little easier by the ticket prices and a feeling that the setlist was unlikely to offer too much in the way of change since the last fandango. Having read your review and perused the setlist, I feel comfortable with my decision and look forward to the next outing.

I do hope our hero returns to what seems to be becoming his neglected solo back catalogue. Under the headline of 'Bryan Ferry' I'd prefer to see more of his solo work and for him to leave the heights of Roxy to the 'real' band - however unlikely that is now. Performing so much Roxy material he might as well go out under the banner of 'Bryan Ferry's Roxy Music' like so many other artists who plough the furrow of a band minus the majority of its members.

There is so much More Than This (sic).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:07 pm 

The last 3 times I have seen him(all in the last 18 months) they have been 75 minute rushed set lists with very few changes. Even the first of these 3 which came at the tail end of the Avonmore push only contained 2 from that solo effort. The last 2 shows he replaced those 2 songs with Hurricane and Windswept. I have tix for Vegas in August and really hope he features either some old solo classics or some new material. The greatest hits set list shows, while entertaining are Less than More.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:00 am 

cpl5938 wrote:
I have tix for Vegas in August and really hope he features either some old solo classics or some new material. The greatest hits set list shows, while entertaining are Less than More.

Cher cp15938,
Have a great time in the city of sin albeit probably the best chance of significant set list changes rests with 'The Hollywwod Bowl' show as it's a 'Ferry With Strings' special.
The last time he did this was in Dublin three years ago and there were significant adjustments to take advantage of the full orchestra. It was a great evening.
Those folks in the city of angels might get the best of it but W2 hopes you do to.
Salutations,
Windswept

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:20 pm 

Cher W2, merci beaucoup pour ton jugement aprés le concert. Quand même, ta as eu du chance; BF a donné Where or When!
I agree that it should be refeshing with a change of set list, but we have to keep in mind that this tour has been very successful, full arenas and great reviews. And the band sounds better than ever. That said, I have to add that I still prefer the constellation that produced the masterpiece Nuits de Fourvière.
I wonder what BF will do after the concerts in America. How about bringing Colin Good and Ollie back onboard? Quistgaard is a good player but he acts like a studio musician and at least in Krakow he did much less than previous years.
Well, anyway. let's be grateful that our hero is still on the road!
Cordiales salutations!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:16 pm 

[quote="Oberon"]

"Quand même, ta as eu du chance; BF a donné Where or When!"

C'est vrai and it was fabulous.

"I still prefer the constellation that produced the masterpiece Nuits de Fourvière."

W2 aussi

"I wonder what BF will do after the concerts in America. How about bringing Colin Good and Ollie back onboard?"

Windswept shares the dream.

"Well, anyway. let's be grateful that our hero is still on the road!"

Absolutely, we are so lucky and Windswept thinks the innovation will continue.

If Tony Bennett is still doing it at 90 maybe our hero is just starting !

Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:23 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
Hedonistic Hipsters,

'The Windswept Morning Post' (™ pianoman) is published late due to hedonistic activities at Wednesday's Hampton Court Ferry party.

Readers will be pleased to know that the event passed sublimely.

We seriously had 'Both Ends Burning'. We had the hottest June day since Nelson lost his eye and the venue itself was absolutely breathtaking. This itself brought difficulties because there was a surfeit of overweight corporate freeloaders who were obviously more attracted by the venue than the music. They seemed incapable of finding their seats on time - imagine walking in during or after 'The Main Thing' - and then proceeded to talk throughout the show. Even during IEDHAH - sacre bleu! There was a particularly obnoxious man with a bizarre comb over sat behind W2 who spent the whole evening trying to seduce a hooker. How bizarre, Windswept never realised you had to seduce hookers!

Malgre tout cela, our hero continued without a head hair out of place and ploughed his way through the full set list in fine style. We got the complete two jacket edition and he was in good 'mature' voice throughout. The sound was fine albeit, as one renowned Roxologist pointed out, the backing vocals were a little low in the mix.

More than this, the band was as tight as a duck's proverbial. It was great to see Monsieur Spedding taking more joint lead on the guitar front. W2 loves his playing - he adds great texture and depth to the sound.

The rhythm section was rock solid and Jorja Chalmers was absolutely brilliant. Inevitably her excellence demands comparisons with Andy which are futile. It is like comparing any two great artists - it is really a matter of taste. Andy in his pomp could really blow up a complete storm and wasn't afraid to improvise. Jorja is very refined and has a great jazz sensibility but is obviously charged with playing Ferry's stuff to perfection. Both are amazing.

With regard to the overall show, forensic Ferryistas will have noted that there were a good few changes from The London Palladium - the set list drew more heavily than ever (more than 80%) on his Roxy years - but that visually the show had much the same look - no video backdrop, dancers or frills and fancies and the sartorial grunge button remained well, if tastefully pushed. All of this does lead to a ' déjà vu' feeling whereas each previous tour has always felt very fresh and has always had its own exciting vibe.

This meant that although W2 got a damn fine FerryFix in the company of two very refined and renowned Roxologists and did come away as motivated as ever, he hopes that next time out rings the changes and that we get a new concept. Personally he thinks a tour dedicated to 'Ready-Mades' or our hero's solo work would have boundless possibilities. The 'Another Time, Another Place' tour - bring it on - maybe this will make the overweight corporate freeloaders go to a 'Bay City Rollers' concert instead !

Ferry On & attention sur la route.

Salutations,

W2

Ditto. :lol:

Mr and Mrs RoxySiren loved the whole Hampton Court vibe and beautiful evening. And wonderful friends for company ;) . The music was a bonus. That's something I rarely say when Bry is the act. Indeed the music was just about a bonus, since the deja vu and loutish bloated corporate hooker-friends singing along (I'm being very very generous by categorising the drunken moan as song) weren't ideal. However, I was so high on the vibe and company that i had a great time. Just imagine if the set list and audience had been on point too?