VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: This may be petty but...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:02 am 

it bothers me that Ferry needs to use a music stand to remember the lyrics - I just wish he would do without it - get away from the mike stand and move a bit....I guess I just miss the old Ferry - when he would slink around the stage with the brilliant stagecraft...gone now and reduced to minimal stuff and limited body language....tied to the mike stand (and music stand!!!)

Post subject: Re: This may be petty but...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:58 pm 

It's not just song lyrics, he has a setlist (understandable) and the names of his band and support act taped to the floor by the music stand. I thought that he was using it as a prop during the ASGB tour but other than the Roxy 2001 tour he's used it ever since. Given his entrance in 2001 leaving the piano during re-make/re-model did this change on the following Roxy tours? To be fair he's not by himself using a music stand and being more static in his movements now, I was suprised how much Bowie used one and stayed close to the microphone stand during his later tours (except for the reality tour I think)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:16 pm 

I go to a lot of concerts and there are lots of acts who use lyric book or sheets on stage, not just older acts either. I guess the more songs you have in your back catalogue the more likely you might be to forget a couple of lines here and there. I think perhaps it's more of a safety blanket than a nesseccity.
8-)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:26 pm 

Yes it is a shame that Bryan is attached so much to his music stand and lyrics. I long for the days when he prowled the stage and jumped after almost every song. Though with a bad back I can understand why he no longer does the latter!

Like others I do this think he uses the lyrics as a safety blanket...just in case. But I also wonder whether he uses them as a prop due to insufficient rehearsal...either through lack of time given to rehearse or a disinclination to rehearse. I don't know how long Roxy Music or Bryan and his solo band would generally give to rehearse...I don't know how long any musician rehearses. I suppose you could say how long's a piece of string, everybody would be different. All I can say is that Leonard Cohen, who at 73 can give Bryan 10 years, rehearsed with his band for 3 months before going back on the road for the first time in 14/15 years early in 2008. Some of the lyrics of Leonard's songs are at least as complicated as Bryan's, some more so. In performance Leonard sings everything from memory, not a music stand or lyric sheet in sight.

So is it mental agility or lack of reheasal????