VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chris Difford
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:44 pm 
Site Owner

rendezvous wrote:
Didn't Cibo get a name check on an album? I'm guessing Bete Noire but I'm at work and not got stuff to hand. Not as ground-breaking as the hair, clothes, make-up etc. name checks on the early albums, but it did make me despair of Bryan's state of mind.

Cibo is credited on Taxi

http://www.vivaroxymusic.com/albums_23.php

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:52 pm 

Good thread!

A biography? Well that would be worth waiting for, and I am
sure we could provide a good title instead of the usual "the official biography of Bryan Ferry"

"Stronger through the years"?
"One Kiss"?

I would vote for "call me Mister" lyric from "still falls the Rain" I believe

Whatever, thanks for the Great Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:41 pm 

UKRichard wrote:
Hopefully his desire to be in control will therefore extend this far.

Cher UKRichard,

You could well be correct. Evidently he does read them. W2's concern is that the perfectionist in him will constantly impede the project.

He probably can't / doesn't want to write it himself.

He should recruit a great, reputable ghost to help him. One worry could be that he selects Michael Bracewell. IWNSHO this would be a mistake. The tome would be intellectual masturbation and only close relatives of the author would buy it.

Windswept thinks James Fox did a great job for Keith Richards. Our hero should give him a call.

With luck good sense will prevail and we'll get something good. Hope springs eternal.

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:46 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
rendezvous wrote:
Didn't Cibo get a name check on an album? I'm guessing Bete Noire but I'm at work and not got stuff to hand. Not as ground-breaking as the hair, clothes, make-up etc. name checks on the early albums, but it did make me despair of Bryan's state of mind.

Cibo is credited on Taxi

http://www.vivaroxymusic.com/albums_23.php

Hipsters,

Mais oui. Our hero had the Bete Noire press launch at Cibo.
The food is great. Windswept gives it his cherished 5W rating.

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:08 pm 

Thank you dear W2 for your insightful take on the biographical options but moreover, thank you for the sumptuous phrase 'intellectual masturbation'. As UKR sees evidence of this in so many quarters these days - not least his workplace - he looks forward to putting it good use at the earliest opportunity. :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:37 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:

He should recruit a great, reputable ghost to help him. One worry could be that he selects Michael Bracewell. IWNSHO this would be a mistake. The tome would be intellectual masturbation and only close relatives of the author would buy it.

Completely agree, its been to BF's detriment that hes surrounded himself more with academics like Bracwell and Colin Good over the past 20 years in place of more quirky and hip influences like Puxley and Rhett Davies. Again probably something to do with his desire for control.

I doubt we'll ever see an autobiography sadly. It would take forever for a start but I don't think he really has the desire to write one and we can't complain too much about that as his elusiveness is a big part of his attraction. Sadly there's not many good BF/ RM books on the market, I like The Bryan Ferry Story for its visuals and Puxley's style of writing but it's hardly an objective account. The only other book I'd recommend is Jonathan Rigby's Both Ends Burning with its excellent analysis of each and every Roxy song in the canon. Bracewell's Re-make Re-model is pretentious twaddle in a way that is at odds with what Roxy Music stood for and is definitely one to be avoided.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:35 am 

"My indecision is final" would make for a suitably self-mocking title for a BF autobiography, but not one that I think he would ever agree to it sadly. We only have to see how "rabbit in the headlights" he has appeared on some TV interviews when the interviewer starts delving into areas of Bryan's private life that he would prefer to keep private to conclude that a BF autobiography is unlikely. It would take up so much of his time as he agonised over what to include and what to omit, only for him to finally decide that the whole idea was a mistake in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:41 pm 

Not sure how much to believe from the Difford piece, especially because Mick Green's on-stage heart attack came on the last leg of the Frantic tour in Feb 2004. That was some five years after Difford says he left BF. This doesn't add up.

Sadly, I agree that BF will not write an "AutoBio" that would truly be interesting to read, because it would require him to expose too much that he has worked hard to keep out of the public eye for the past 30+ years. While "twaddle" might be a bit too strong, I agree that Michael Bracewell's take on Roxy was indeed pretentious and waaaay too faux artsy.

Last edited by DCJ on Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:11 pm 
Site Owner

I started working part-time at Studio One January 2004 and it was Chris Difford that I was dealing with there. I also had a meeting with him around April that year in Glasgow to discuss Ferry stuff. I am sure it was a few months later when he stopped working at studio one.

J. O'B.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:01 am 

Thanks JOB. So that justs raises more questions about when Difford actually quit compared to when he says he departed BF's enterprise. I looked through all the credits on the Live 2001 Roxy CD and I couldn't find any mention of Difford so presumably he was not around for that tour. At some point he came back so that by 2004 he's at Studio One where JOB sees him and then he leaves.

Actually, what I think is perhaps most interesting is that Difford either didn't sign a non-disclosure agreement re his work for BF or he is now ignoring the non-disclosure agreement he did sign...

Last edited by DCJ on Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next