All times are UTC

Post subject: Chris Difford
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:05 pm 
Site Owner

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/a ... Ferry.html

Post subject: Re: Chris Difford
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:00 pm 

Hipsters,
This is absolutely hilarious and so imaginable.
If walls had ears, W2 bets 'Studio One' could tell a tale or two !
Salutations,
Windswept

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:39 pm 

I really like this:

Quote:
I sharpened pencils until they were all the same height in the jar.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:01 pm 

Typcial Ferry - charming but a bit of a nightmare also. Am sure plenty can relate to Difford's experiences including band-mates, ex-wives/ girlfriends and many others who loved him but in the end were happy to see the back of him.

That period from around 1997 when he really appeared to go to ground has always fascinated me. No touring, very rarely seen in the media or at all in public and apparently keen to keep as low a profile as possible. I recall at the time searching for any little snippets of info of what exactly he was up but rarely came across anything and this is the first real insight into what was actually happening at the time. Clearly there wasn't much focus with more emphasis on living the London high life and now I'm left wondering who those gold toothed Russians were.

I note this is an extract from Difford's new autobiography, I dearly hope there are many more revelations in the book that weren't included in the article. Does anyone know if he ever did end up writing for Ferry?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:08 am 

Dean wrote:

That period from around 1997 when he really appeared to go to ground has always fascinated me.

Hipsters,

Dean makes an interesting point.

This epoc in our hero's history marks the period between 'Mamouna' and his third coming with 'ATGB'. It was probably a difficult time for him creatively and marked a five year hiatus.

'Mamouna' was well documented as being an extremely exhausting and expensive project and it appears that it was really the formation of the creative partnership with Colin Good that rejuvenated his career.

Not to be underestimated in all of this is the passing of his good friend and sounding board, Simon Puxley.

Ferry has always recognised Puxley's part in the creative process and it would be good to see him elaborate on all of this in his forthcoming biography.

Perhaps it was Puxley's absence that made him search for another sounding board ?

Hence Chris Difford's involvement and then Colin Good ?

Qui sait quoi but it's fun to speculate.

One thing Windswept does know is that the Kensington eatery 'Cibo' got a lot of use during this period. W2 used to see Ferry in there often - sometimes with some pretty dubious looking characters. It's still there today serving fabulous Italian food as always.

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:51 pm 

Quote:
it would be good to see him elaborate on all of this in his forthcoming biography

...I'm sure the reference to a 'biography' is just your boundless optimism W2 but wasn't there mention while ago about a 'coffee table' BF book? I can't keep up!

Quote:
Cibo...serving fabulous Italian food as always

You're as insightful about dining as you are all matters BF! Indeed, a fabulous eatery. Asparagus and parmesan starter to absolutely die for! :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:51 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
Dean wrote:

Not to be underestimated in all of this is the passing of his good friend and sounding board, Simon Puxley.

Ferry has always recognised Puxley's part in the creative process and it would be good to see him elaborate on all of this in his forthcoming biography.

Perhaps it was Puxley's absence that made him search for another sounding board ?

W2

The times don't quite add up though Windswept. Difford appeared on the scene in 1997 and the Good collaboration would have commenced shortly after that. Puxley died in 1999 and was still taking an active role in Bryan's life until close to the end. Indeed from memory Ferry was unable to attend his funeral as it coincided with the first U.S. date on the ATGB tour. But maybe he was subconsciously searching for a replacement even before Puxley died.

There has been speculation that Puxley played more of a Bernie Taupin role than people realise and its notable that much of BF's original output from this century had already existed in demo form prior to his death. There are enough glorious exceptions though (My Oh My, Reason or Rhyme to name but a few) to conclude that BF wasn't entirely reliant on Puxley for his muse.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:17 pm 

Dean wrote:
Windswept2 wrote:
Dean wrote:

W2

The times don't quite add up though Windswept. Difford appeared on the scene in 1997 and the Good collaboration would have commenced shortly after that. Puxley died in 1999 and was still taking an active role in Bryan's life until close to the end. Indeed from memory Ferry was unable to attend his funeral as it coincided with the first U.S. date on the ATGB tour. But maybe he was subconsciously searching for a replacement even before Puxley died.

There has been speculation that Puxley played more of a Bernie Taupin role than people realise and its notable that much of BF's original output from this century had already existed in demo form prior to his death. There are enough glorious exceptions though (My Oh My, Reason or Rhyme to name but a few) to conclude that BF wasn't entirely reliant on Puxley for his muse.

Cher Dean,

W2 thinks that the time line would not have necessarily linear. Many things happen at once and events often overlap. Particularly when it comes to an artist looking for a new way forward.

People may well have been hired for different things - lyric doctor, PR Consultant, Music Director etc..

It would be great to know the full story of these and other times and W2 does live in hope that there will one day be a biography.

This could, as UKRichard points out just be Windswept's boundless optimism but wouldn't it be a sacrilege if one of the greatest artists of our time never told his story ?

Salutations,

Windswept

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:10 am 

Quote:
wouldn't it be a sacrilege if one of the greatest artists of our time never told his story ?

Indeed it would. It undoubtedly requires considerable time to do well which would call for BF to get off the touring treadmill for starters. Autobiographies seem to be ten a penny these days and maybe it's a bandwagon he doesn't want to jump on, but without it others will write BF's history for him. Hopefully his desire to be in control will therefore extend this far.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:20 pm 

Didn't Cibo get a name check on an album? I'm guessing Bete Noire but I'm at work and not got stuff to hand. Not as ground-breaking as the hair, clothes, make-up etc. name checks on the early albums, but it did make me despair of Bryan's state of mind.