VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Looking forward to....reviews....
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:19 am 

... I wonder how the Bowl concert went....

Post subject: Re: Looking forward to....reviews....
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:59 pm 

There are several clips up on Youtube.

The Hollywood Strings do not play on all the songs. I'm not surprised the sit out a tune like Remake Remodel, but I was surprised then also sit out on More Than This.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:36 pm 

Well worth checking out some of these clips. I've yet to view them all but a real surprise was The Main Thing - probably the best version of that song I've ever heard.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:41 pm 

The Main Thing and Windswept are quite stunning, wonderful arrangements. :)

8-)

The Main Thing

https://youtu.be/fos6BzwQruM

Windswept

https://youtu.be/enbq0I6k640

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:30 pm 

Great review here...

http://variety.com/2017/music/reviews/c ... 202540038/

....and couldn't agree more with the Bond theme comparisons for this orchesteral version of Windswept, which breathes new life into the song.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:21 pm 

Quote:
couldn't agree more with the Bond theme comparisons for this orchesteral version of Windswept, which breathes new life into the song.

Great arrangements..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:46 pm 

The short snippets I've heard all sound amazing! Great arrangements especially on The Main Thing and Windswept.

It would be great if Bryan done a 'With Strings' tour extensively - I know the extra cost of having an orchestra on tour would be a problem but then rather than do a long tour that lasts months he could just pick major cities/venues to do it in. Make it more of an 'event' rather than just another tour (although I do love any tour he does!)

I think that a 'Greatest Hits.....with Strings' album with new vocals and arrangements and then a tour to go along with it would be perfect at this stage of his career for Bryan. I always long for new material, like everyone else, but we know how long it takes and that some of it never sees the light of day. I would definitely be happy to see some of his old stuff 'remade/remodelled'!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:36 pm 

Mes Amis,

Comme d'habitude W2 is grateful for all things Ferry and certainly the orchestrated versions of 'Windswept' and 'The Main Thing' shivered his timbers.

That said, it looks like they orchestrated the existing, well trodden set list rather than come up with something new for the evening. Whereas the set list for Dublin (RTE String evening) in 2014 was markedly different from the rest of the tour. The songs were better chosen for a strings project.

W2 would love to see him do an orchestrated album but he should do it with Colin Good. ATGB showed how powerful that partnership can be.

On the sartorial front, Windswept was surprised that our hero didn't make more of an effort for the Hollywood Bowl evening. IWNSHO, the LV jacket would have been a lot more appropriate. Our hero pushed the louche button a couple of years ago to fit the mood of his then new band. There's nothing wrong with a bit of louche but W2 confesses to being a little perplexed by this current ensemble. It looks to be a sort of cross between a working man's jacket and something traditional and succeeds in being neither.

It's not a style faux pas on the scale of Matador look but a rethink is needed.

Salutations,

Windswept (with strings).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:54 am 

In the review posted on Ferry's Facebook account , he mentions that he'd really like to do something new, but couldn't say what as he'd then never do it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:05 pm 
Site Owner

The Hollywood Bowl bits that I heard sound great and are an augmentation to the touring band sound but arrangements written purely for an orchestra would give the songs a new dimension.

Adding strings to a full band doesn’t have the same effect as it being purely the singer with an orchestra with orchestrated version of the songs.

I would love Bryan to do a show like that with an just an orchestra and no electric guitars, sax, drum kit, electric bass etc.

J.O’B.