VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Best ever (most successful and interesting) BF track?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:34 pm 

Hopefully this thread won't put anyone off their supper.

I'm backing Your Painted Smile in BF compositions and A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall in covers.

Thoughts very welcome, thanks.

Post subject: Re: Best ever (most successful and interesting) BF track?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:51 am 

In the spirit of this thread I’ll throw in one...
.. .I really like The Chosen One - another contemporary game changer.

I still happily stumble around, or shuffle, to this one in my living room. And there’s a cracking remix, I think by Somerset Johnson , on SoundCloud - wooh, wooh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:52 am 

I Love

Ahahaha
At the Moment...

Mamouna
Mother of Pearl
Pyjamarama

And
As Always MoreThan This

And Yes, Vivavoce
The Winsome Longing of Your Painted Smile..
Sigh
It's Lovely and that's one I listen to
Over and Over

The Sweet Melancholy of Where and When
Makes me Cry

I for one listen to Roxy/Ferry according to my mood at the moment... And my Favourites change accordingly :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:16 pm 

I take it that we are excluding Roxy material...?

Accordingly:
Today, I'll nominate "I thought". But there are very many candidates :)
Covers? Today, I'll nominate a couple. The in crowd for swagger, and where or when for personal reasons.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:08 pm 

Hipsters,

Vivavoce has posed an almost impossible question that has Windswept tied up in knots !

So much to choose from and over so many years.

Thus fare, although they are not W2's choice, he would like to salute Vivavoce's choice of 'Your Painted Smile' and avalon_eyes' selection of 'The Chosen One' . Both are completely inspired and should certainly feature on any thinking Ferryista's short list.

Qudos also has to go to RoxySiren for selecting 'The 'In' Crowd' from our hero's extensive catalogue of ready mades. Another great choice and as stated, it has real swagger.

Now for W2's own selections that are proving a complete agony ........ he has been scratching his well coiffured head and engaging those little grey cells and finally, the answer is .........

'Another Time Another Place': this is such a great song in terms of lyrics, construction and music. It opens in the style of the great songs from the '30s & '40s and then when it reaches its second act it swaggers into something completely different. It is such a superb exercise in style and it is the track that made W2 totally understand 'Ferry' as distinct to Roxy. Also, to have it as the last track on the album was a masterstroke. It sealed the deal going forward.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:26 pm 

This is an almost impossible ask but, push come to shove, (today) I'd go for The Right Stuff as an original - so underrated in all its forms and a wonderful promo video to support it. As for a BF interpretation, notwithstanding the glory that is the entire ATGB and gems like Song To The Siren, I think any day, week, month or year it would have to be the glorious B side to Tokyo Joe. BF's sumptuous version of She's Leaving Home is, quite simply, unsurpassable.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:33 pm 

Agree with previous comments; a difficult ask to choose one track and it does depend on my frame of mind at the time.
Love Me Madly is my choice (I absolutely adore I Y M) original BF and River of Salt in the ready mades...this week anyhow.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:42 pm 

Ref: Windswept, Another Time, Another Place.
Aside from the Roxy Music re-makes which would appear as B sides and then on the Let’s Stick Together album, ATAP was Ferry’s solo self-penned debut.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:16 pm 

Something is wrong here, I disagree with most of the choices made herein.

And I don't care.

The "In" Crowd is my favourite cover, it has power, swagger, an electrical surge of energy that you felt knowing you were the best dressed guy about to leave with the sexiest girl in the place....if you hadn't already walked in with her.

A Special kind of Guy I really love, it has obvious musical parallels with Marvin Gaye's Sexual Healing, but I think it was Bryan's realisation that his love life was over with Amanda (who I also think is "AMbition, no telling" elsewhere in another song).

I find Another Time Another Place, and the Chosen One overblown, anthemic arena stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:53 pm 

I've always loved The Right Stuff and especially the new Johnson Somerset remix. Actually my original favorite version was The Brooklyn Mix B side. I must be one of the few people to hear it live. It was the night after SNL at a Jimmy Maelen benefit at The Ritz ( now Webster Hall). With Johnny Marr and the same line up as SNL. Bryan did I think 5 songs that night. A great packed show and everybody there was there to see Bryan.