VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: OLYMPIA & AVONMORE
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:46 pm 

My OLYMPIA favourites: Song To The Siren + No Face, No Name, No Number. You Can Dance is too monotonous and BF Bass requires a lot of wine to enjoy, as Oberon perfectly puts it ;-). I love the electronic version of Me Oh My and the Shameless version together with Groove Armada. Concerning You Can Dance I'd prefer DJ Hell's version. Heartache By Numbers should have been a hit - but it wasn't ...

Reason or Rhyme is a nice song but I don't consider it to be the super track many of my VRM friends do. Alphaville once again is a nice song and I do like the two bonus tracks although Whatever Get's You Thru The Night is hardly recognizable ... And Tender Is The Night doesn't mean too much to me. Conclusion: A good album but some wrong versions on the original record.

ALPHAVILLE was radio-friendly with a lot of catchy choruses. It wasn't the album Ferry fans bought who are aficionados and connoisseurs of his lyrics. My favourites are still Loop De Li, Midnight Train and Driving Me Wild. I like the ballads in between and I have great respect for his courage to cover Send In The Clowns + Johnny And Mary. Well done, I think. Avonmore was designed to have a slight touch of Roxy but One Night Stand again requires too much Bavarian beer to love it ;-).

The album cover was extremely strange - I hope in this respect BF's taste will return ... And what I wouldn't have needed: Any re-mixed, re-made, re-modelled version of an Avonmore song.

Both albums are very different but at the end of the day I'd probably prefer Avonmore :? . Or should I take Olympia, because Andy plays his oboe on Song To The Siren and a slight touch of Roxy nostalgia hits me :roll: ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:52 am 

My Absolute Favourite video is Johnny and Mary

Perfect Noir
Bryan, The Song itself,
The Lovely velvety black and white imagery....

And
Ahahaha
That Dog....

https://youtu.be/Din_eWjJWe0

Does no one else share my love of Lost?

Oh how I Wish Bryan would add it to his setlist at Newcastle.....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:17 am 

teresa wrote:
My Absolute Favourite video is Johnny and Mary

Perfect Noir
Bryan, The Song itself,
The Lovely velvety black and white imagery....

And
Ahahaha
That Dog....

Elegantly Ageing Hipsters,
Teresa a raison.
It is a great piece of noir and the dog is fabulous but so is Eliza Cummings.
And the locations. Chateau Marmont and the Wolf's lair ....what could possibly go wrong?
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:52 am 

[quote="pianoman"]

Reason or Rhyme is a nice song but I don't consider it to be the super track many of my VRM friends do. ... And Tender Is The Night doesn't mean too much to me. Conclusion.

Both albums are very different but at the end of the day I'd probably prefer Avonmore
(Quote:pianoman)

Philosophical Philanderers,

If ever proof was needed that Roxology is a broad church, this is it.

The normally ever tasteful pianoman has had, what is hopefully only a momentary lapse of reason. But as he is a firm cyber friend, Windswept unreservedly forgives him .

That said, hopefully one day he will acknowledge 'Reason or Rhyme' as a masterpiece. And, if 'Tender Is The Night' doesn't mean much to him, W2 respectfully suggest he plays it 100 times through Bose headphones until he changes his mind.

After days of pontification and repeat listenings and having read the submissions from some of the world's most renowned Roxologists, Windswept has come to the conclusion that things aren't quite as close as he thought when he started this thread.

In fact, if our hero had left 'You Can Dance' off OLYMPIA - leaving 'Alphaville' as the opening track - and had included 'Johnny & Mary' as track 10, he would have achieved 'PeakFerry'.

As it is, he just made a marvellous album - significantly better than AVONMORE which remains a great one.

Doubtless the debate will continue. In the interim, Windswept would like to thank all Roxologists for their thoughtful submissions.

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:16 pm 

Chère Teresa,
J'aime aussi le video!

And these positive vibes from you, W2, pianoman and others makes me feel good.
I had a strange experience last night. After a session at the tennis court and then dinner & some wine, I relaxed, listening to BF live 2015. To my surprise, I suddenly really enjoyed listening to Love is the drug! It has never been a favourite of mine and i have heard it so many times - so what happened? it was as if I heard some nuances of it that I never before had caught. Good or a bad sign?
Salutations!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:43 am 

Cher Oberon :D

Good Sign :D

Cher Windswept

Just one beat of your heart
And stranger than fantasy
I knew from the start
It had to be the place for me
Someone that I would die for
There's no way I could ever leave
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Pianoman :)
I Love Groove Armada
I wish Bryan would add Lost to the new lineup..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:05 pm 

Just some thoughts

Both albums show promise but fail to satisfy

Olympia will always suffer in my opinion because it replaced the aborted Roxy album

Out of the two I'd go for Avonmore by a smidge