VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Babylon Berlin
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:06 pm 

Quote:
. Does anybody know whether (some of) the songs are outtakes from The Jazz Age or have been produced especially for this soundtrack?

I recall JO'B posting somewhere these are tracks left over from TJA. Given that was wholly instrumental, whether vocals were added later or not I have no idea.
Definitely sounds like a great buy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:54 pm 

Marina Moore has only been on board with Bryan since the 2017 tour so maybe a mixture of new recording and Jazz Age unused tracks?

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:10 pm 

pianoman wrote:
Does anybody know whether (some of) the songs are outtakes from The Jazz Age or have been produced especially for this soundtrack? It is a double CD (price in Germany: 18 €) I can really recommend.

Hipsters,

W2 has also taken delivery albeit via iTunes.

Contrary to their pre-order blurb, it is possible to buy TBFO tracks separately. This was Windswept's chosen route and he has now added them to his Jazz Age playlist.

Great additions they are as well. For JA enthusiasts they are certainly the equal of anything on the original album and IWNSHO, 'Bitter Sweet' and 'Dance Away' are probably even better and 'Bitters End' is simply sumptuous. Windswept has asked Mrs W to start wearing her flapper dress again.

As to when and how they were recorded ? Who knows? But Windswept seriously doubts that they are out takes from the JazzAge sessions purely because there weren't any strings on the original offerings.

Hopefully all of this will mean that there is a JazzAge2 in the hopper and that next year's tour will herald the return of TBFO with strings !

It's great to see Ferry's music in such an amazing production. Windswept is loving every minute of Babylon Berlin. It's a great story and visually quite stunning.

Ferry On !

Salutations,

Windswept

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:55 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
Great additions they are as well. For JA enthusiasts they are certainly the equal of anything on the original album and IWNSHO, 'Bitter Sweet' and 'Dance Away' are probably even better and 'Bitters End' is simply sumptuous. Windswept has asked Mrs W to start wearing her flapper dress again.

I enjoy these probably new ones more than the original JA album. Nothing against the shellac sound there but I hope it will be remastered some day without it.

On Reason Or Rhyme and Bitter Sweet Bryan's voice is in a very good condition and Chance Meeting (instrumental) is absolutely brilliant!

Since I am not a client of Sky I will have to wait until October 2018 for the series to be broadcast on ARD free TV but I am really looking forward to that 8-) .

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:32 pm 

Has anyone else been keeping up with this? I finished the first season last night and a brief preview of season 2 was included during the end credits, which showed Ferry making a guest appearance as an onstage singer. Season 2 in its entirety is already available on Sky's On Demand service and I watched the first episode this evening but no sign of Ferry yet so he must appear later in the series. The series is not quite my thing but a BF guest appearance will definitely keep me watching.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:58 am 

I can confirm that the guest appearance is at the start of S2E2, BF performing Bitter Sweet and also briefly Reason or Rhyme, which may explain why vocals were included on those tracks. Very nice little cameo performance indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:39 pm 

Mes Amis,

Windswept has just viewed our hero's cameo and has to report a styling faux pas.

In a program that gets every period detail so correct the director has managed to make our hero look like he has been teleported in from another era.

The night club setting and staging were completely perfect but our hero lei-meme was obliged to wear the most ridiculous black tie that made him look like somebody had placed a black napkin around his neck whilst his hair looked set, when the whole vibe called for foppish - and we all know that our hero can do foppish well.

Anyway, the music was perfect and although the styling wasn't peak Ferry, it wasn't a bordel on the scale of 'The Bolero' look.

That said, we can't do with any mistakes at this stage of the game !

Mais, malgré tout sa, the show continues to be amazing and the dance scene in the jazz pub is just unbelievable.

Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:11 pm 

Quote:
obliged to wear the most ridiculous black tie that made him look like somebody had placed a black napkin around his neck

Attachments:
71d6QHcjI9L._SL1500_.jpg
71d6QHcjI9L._SL1500_.jpg [ 215.1 KiB | Viewed 14019 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:00 pm 

I watched the clip this morning. It is very good but I couldn't help but think of Grandpa from The Munsters, an undead vampire.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:27 am 

Some good points about the icy styling, BF definitely had a look of the walking dead about him. It would have been nice to see him in more playful mood as well but the song choices didn't really suit that and, much as I love Reason or Rhyme, a vocal performance of Bitters End may have been a better accompaniment to Bitter Sweet in that regard.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next