Post subject: Babylon Berlin
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:06 pm 
Site Owner

Babylon Berlin Soundtrack

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Babylon-Berlin ... 8585921944

J.O'B.

Post subject: Re: Babylon Berlin
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:02 pm 

It's interesting that cd2 includes a lot of tracks credited to the "Bryan Ferry Orchestra" but except for "Reason or Rhyme" they are for songs that weren't included in the The Jazz Age album performed by the BFO. Hmmm. Are they outtakes from the original jazz recording sessions or relatively new recordings?

I have no idea who "Johnny Klimek & Tom Tykwe" are, but this could be an interesting listen....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:29 pm 

Mes Amis,

This is very exciting.

The soundtrack includes seven new tracks from TBFO : Alphaville, Reason or Rhyme, Bitter Sweet, Chance Meeting,Dance Away, Bitter Sweet & Bitters End (?)

What's more, the series - the most expensive TV ever made - debuts on Sky Atlantic in the UK on 5th November.

Nazis, noir, Weimar decadence and TBFO - what more could a man possibly wish for ?

Windswept will be there with a large Talisker in hand.

W2 can't wait to get his sweaty little paws on more from TBFO.

Salutations,

Windswept

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:47 pm 

DCJ wrote:
It's interesting that cd2 includes a lot of tracks credited to the "Bryan Ferry Orchestra" but except for "Reason or Rhyme" they are for songs that weren't included in the The Jazz Age album performed by the BFO. Hmmm. Are they outtakes from the original jazz recording sessions or relatively new recordings?

I have no idea who "Johnny Klimek & Tom Tykwe" are, but this could be an interesting listen....

DCJ: Tom Tykwer is a German director (Run Lola Run, Perfume etc.) and Johnny Klimek is an Australian musician and composer.

I am very excited about the BF/BFO tracks from this series. I could imagine that Bryan sings on some of them. Especially Bitter Sweet is virtually predestined for Berlin Babylon because of its German verse (which sounds very funny to German ears ;) ). And Bitters End could work out very well as "the" perfect tango 8-) .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:20 pm 

Meanwhile two snippets from the series have appeared on facebook, one with Dance Away, the other one with Bitter Sweet. Both pieces instrumental, both fantastic. They're way to good to be outtakes from the Jazz Age album. The way they're woven into the scenes is very skillfull.

Btw, not to disappoint you, Mr. Windswept, but afaik it's only the most expensive German and the most expensive non-English tv show.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:35 am 

The soundtrack includes seven new tracks from TBFO : Alphaville, Reason or Rhyme, Bitter Sweet, Chance Meeting,Dance Away, Bitter Sweet & Bitters End (?)

The Amazon link credits five tracks to the BFO; Bitter Sweet appears only once, while Chance Meeting seems to be BF without the orchestra.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:00 pm 

Lonely Dreamer wrote:
Meanwhile two snippets from the series have appeared on facebook, one with Dance Away, the other one with Bitter Sweet. Both pieces instrumental, both fantastic. They're way to good to be outtakes from the Jazz Age album. The way they're woven into the scenes is very skillfull.

Btw, not to disappoint you, Mr. Windswept, but afaik it's only the most expensive German and the most expensive non-English tv show.

Cher Lonely Dreamer,

W2 is not disappointed. He is too excited for words.
He loves Berlin, he loves noir and he loves TBFO. What could possibly go wrong ?

He just hopes that the series is as good as the trailer !

Hopefully our hero's involvement won't get him into trouble again. When he extolled the virtues of Leni Riefenstahl and Albert Speer the British gutter press conflated those sentiments with him having bizarre political leanings!

Frankly you couldn't make it up but he did loose his contract with M&S as a result.

That said, W2 never thought M&S and Bryan were a good sartorial fit.

Can't wait to get hold of the tracks. Which Facebook page are the snippets featured on?

Salutations,

Windswept

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:04 pm 

It's on a fansite called "BryanFerry and RoxyMusic at networld", run by a Japanese fan, maybe you know her?

I hope these links work:

https://www.facebook.com/bryanferryfanpage/videos/1424165624349248/

https://www.facebook.com/bryanferryfanpage/videos/1427529390679538/

I haven't watched more than these snippets yet, honestly, except for our hero's contribution it doesn't really interest me that much. Maybe a mistake, I don't know.

Windswept2 wrote:
Hopefully our hero's involvement won't get him into trouble again. When he extolled the virtues of Leni Riefenstahl and Albert Speer the British gutter press conflated those sentiments with him having bizarre political leanings!

I think he should be in safe waters, there's absolutely nothing controversial about this series. But on the other hand you never know what people will read into the most harmless things. I think I once read an interview where he said he likes to discover things which are concealed and the journalist interpreted that as him confessing to a foot fetish :shock:

Btw I believe the Leni Riefenstahl drama was only a scandal in Britain, I haven't noticed anybody in Germany making a fuss about it. I've read the Welt interview in the German original and found his statement completely normal and clear. One really needed a lot of fantasy to read anything controversial into it. The only thing I personally disagree with is that I hate Speer's architecture, but the aesthetic of Riefenstahl's movies is impressive. Nobody who has ever watched them would deny that. Disclaimer in case some yellow press reporters read this: yes, she was also a completely despicable Nazi bitch and making a positive statement about the aesthetic of her movies is not a political statement. :roll:

Last edited by Lonely Dreamer on Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:21 am 

Excellent post Lonely Dreamer, thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:34 pm 

Lonely Dreamer wrote:
The only thing I personally disagree with is that I hate Speer's architecture, but the aesthetic of Riefenstahl's movies is impressive. Nobody who has ever watched them would deny that. Disclaimer in case some yellow press reporters read this: yes, she was also a completely despicable Nazi bitch and making a positive statement about the aesthetic of her movies is not a political statement. :roll:

Sometimes I doubt whether you can separate art from politics, ideology and criminal acts.

Especially Albert Speer who designed at least a part of the Auschwitz concentration camp was lucky to make the judges at the Nuremberg Trials believe that he didn't know anything about what was going on inside ... If you know that can you judge his buildings without bias? I cannot.

Beside that I am sure that Bryan Ferry is a conservative without extremist thoughts.