VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry Live 2018
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:21 am 

Tara got dropped during the latter part of the 2017 tour and there's a good chance it won't reappear in 2018. I like the version featured in the 2015 Live album but when I saw BF in July 2106 I didn't think Tara was particularly compelling.

Perhaps JG will get dropped this year, but it was a #1 Hit for Roxy and is one of those tracks that a lot of fans remember. I think it is also a tune that works pretty well with BF's mature vocal styling so that makes it a good candidate for encores...

Hard to say what he'll do with Hurricane. It's not really a Roxy track (although it was a part of the High Road EP) but I guess BF likes to sing it, and it does fill up a fair amount of time with lengthy solos...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:13 pm 

Hedonistic Hipsters,

W2 remains optimistic for a relatively fresh set list.

In fact, if you look at the set lists for 'Dylanesque', 'Olympia' & 'AEWBF' - especially on a specific venue basis - they are all, in their own way, quite brave.

It's only since the advent of the new band that the 'Avonmore' set has morphed into a greatest hits fandango and, given the extraordinary number of shows that the maestro has undertaken over the last couple of years, W2 would be flabbergasted if we don't have an all new set list.

That said, Windswept has had his gaster flabbered before donc qui sait quoi.

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:14 pm 

It's been a while since BF had "new product" to promote, but now that the RM Deluxe album has been released maybe he'll resurrect some of the tunes from the album that he hasn't played in decades - like The BOB Medley or Would You Believe. At this point RMRM, ITIS, LadyT, and 2HB have been a part of his recent set lists (especially ITIS and LT), so if he wants to do something special to promote RM Deluxe he'll need to revisit some territory he hasn't explored for some 40 years. But it's certainly possible.

I think the overriding concern governing the concoction of a basic setlist for 2108 is that he wants to make sure that his vocal cords can hold up for a sustained run of gigs... No reason to take chances with songs that "push" the vocal cords more than necessary...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:10 pm 

DCJ wrote:
.... if he wants to do something special to promote RM Deluxe he'll need to revisit some territory he hasn't explored for some 40 years. But it's certainly possible.

...I think the overriding concern governing the concoction of a basic setlist for 2108 is that he wants to make sure that his vocal cords can hold up for a sustained run of gigs...

Perpetual Procrastinators,

Our US editor makes some good points but W2 doesn't think he will promote Roxy - he thinks that there will be a heavy, if not unique focus on his solo catalogue.

Windswept also thinks that the decision to sell the live album at shows was probably a commercial masterstroke and wouldn't be surprised if a CD of the first RHA show is not launched in the same way.

Regarding our hero's larynx - yes he will have to take care - but surely there is not so much in the back catalogue that couldn't be sung in a lower octave ?

We will soon find out. Windswept is desperate for a FerryFix.

Salutations,

Windswept.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:16 pm 

2HB would be a great addition to the set list, and not too much strain on the vocal chords!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:41 pm 

Tryptich wrote:
2HB would be a great addition to the set list, and not too much strain on the vocal chords!

Listening to the boxed set of the first album I am greatly enjoying "Sea Breezes" in its various versions. If Bryan really wanted to surprise us then he could do worse than add this long-overlooked one to the set list.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:01 pm 

True2Life wrote:
Tryptich wrote:

Listening to the boxed set of the first album I am greatly enjoying "Sea Breezes" in its various versions. If Bryan really wanted to surprise us then he could do worse than add this long-overlooked one to the set list.

Cher True2Life,

W2 must demure.

He wants all 'Roxy Music' to be ostracised from the 2018 set list.

Let's have a purist Ferry fandango.

Salutations,

Windswept

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:59 am 

[i][i]W2 must demure.
Salutations,
Windswept
[/i][/i]

[b]We can always dream, but I can't see it happen.

I have listened to some of BF's 2017 shows lately. The audience response is always best on the Roxy tracks + Like a hurricane.

Why should he change "a winning team"?[/b]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:00 pm 

Chers amis!

Mais oui, W2, it should have been fantastic with a show of only BF;s catalogue. But we have to bear in mind that RM is in a way more BF than BF himself! I mean, especially early RM consists only of BF;s own material while on his solo records there are so many covers.
Doc has a point regarding the audience. Mme Oberon, for example, has been to about 5 BF shows; every time she had said that Oh Yeah!, Jealous guy and Avalon were the songs she enjoyed most. And she knows all of BF;s songs as she has been a "passive smoker" for about twenty years.
I think it should be a good idea to replace some classics with some other classics; instead of Slave to love, don't stop the dance, Both ends burning rather than Love is the drug, Running wild instead of Editions of you and so on. Most important to me; keep Bête noir on the list!
Salutations!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:30 pm 

doc wrote:
[i][i]W2 must demure.
Salutations,
Windswept
[/i][/i]

[b]We can always dream, but I can't see it happen.

I have listened to some of BF's 2017 shows lately. The audience response is always best on the Roxy tracks + Like a hurricane.

Why should he change "a winning team"?[/b]

It is the choice of BF songs in my opinion. The likes of This is Tomorrow, In Your Mind, The Price of Love, Hard Rain etc would be much better received than anything post Bride Stripped Bare.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next