VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry Live 2018
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:07 am 

Regarding the sentiment that BF expunge ALL Roxy Music songs from the 2108 tour, an interesting puzzler comes to the fore: what about the songs from the first RM album (along with Casanova from CL) that BF subsequently re-recorded for the LST album? These are legitimate BF solo tracks and, if nothing else, they definitely blur the seemingly hard line separating BF solo tunes and RM tracks...

Some people might consider it blasphemy, but I actually prefer the LST version of Sea Breezes to the Roxy recording... However, exactly what BF was thinking when he concocted the revised version of Remake/Remodel is beyond my ability to comprehend...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:05 am 

I’m not in favour of dropping all RM songs from the set. Certain ones yes. Avalon, Jealous Guy for instance. But for the BF songs I’d love to hear the ones I mentioned previously over anything from Bete Noire, Olympia and Avonmore. Guess I’m a bit like Avondale when it comes to my RM and BF tastes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:18 am 

Cher Jerry Nunn,
shall we meet at dawn?
Well, I'm only joking. As the great W2 says, this church in broad and generous. Our so different views on BF;s music only shows our hero's strength. He has candy for us all, so to speak. A concert of material from Mamouna, Bête Noir & Olympia only would have been fantastic to me. By the way, the dvd Live in Paris from ATGB tour, is simply fabulous. That and the Jazz tour was in my opinion peaks in BF;s career.
Salutations!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:57 am 

The Bride Stripped Bare has been on my playlist recently and what a fine record it is - some great covers ( the soul ones) and a couple of even better originals - When She Walks in the Room and This Island Earth are incredibly mature pieces of work.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:35 pm 

Indeed Oberon. This forum would be somewhat dull if we all had the same views on his and the band’s work. My favourites are mainly from the 70’s. They were a huge part of my teenage years. That is not to say all the newer stuff is bad. Just a preference.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:05 pm 

avalon_eyes wrote:
The Bride Stripped Bare has been on my playlist recently and what a fine record it is - some great covers ( the soul ones) and a couple of even better originals - When She Walks in the Room and This Island Earth are incredibly mature pieces of work.

Hedonistic Hipsters,

avalon_eyes, yet again, demonstrates consummate good taste.

TBSB is an absolute masterpiece and frankly, W2 would be ecstatic if Geordie's favourite son performed the album from start to finish.

That said, it's interesting that some Roxologists seem to be under the impression that the 'greatest hits' set list is a long standing practice. It isn't , forensic analysis of set lists would appear to indicate that this practice has come to the for since his maestro musical director, Colin Good, moved on.

It is interesting to note that since Colin, our hero is now on his second musical director. Windswept has always felt that that we reached peak Ferry live when Good was in the chair.

W2 awaits the set list and this tour with interest.

Salutations,

Windswept

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:33 pm 

avalon_eyes wrote:

In this environment of special edition releases, I would love to see at some stage a re-issue as the originally intended double album with the alternative cover art.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:15 pm 

Vinny wrote:
In this environment of special edition releases, I would love to see at some stage a re-issue as the originally intended double album with the alternative cover art.

+1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:56 am 

That would be quite something , but hey.....
I've seen the cover art somewhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a review?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:08 pm 

https://theimmortaljukebox.com/2015/05/ ... pped-bare/

I think it is in the video clips in this article though I’m not 100% sure. I’ve definitely seen a better image somewhere.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next