VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry Live 2018
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:33 am 

Thanks for posting the link.
Good article, highlighting the quality of the playing, the writing and the singing. Ferry's voice and range is quite stunning on this record.
I'm going to take out my Windswept 7" EP from under the stairs for a spin on my new turntable to see how it stands up after all these years.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:35 pm 

Bon soir, mes amis!

Avaloneyes, I agree with you that When she walks... and This Island Earth are very good songs indeed; BF has also played them live now and then. As for the cover of the album, I'm glad that we have the one that we have - especially the image you get when you open the album!
I share W2;s opinion that Colin Good was the best MD the band ever had, but now, as Time goes by, I also think we can do well without him. As for the set list, I personally would like to hear songs like Don't want to know, My only face, San Simeon etc, but we have to be realistic. In Krakow last year the audience went wild when the band played Slave to love. Probably BF himself would love to play some odd material, but of course he must please the audience - else they will not come back next year!
Salutations de Naxos!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:16 pm 

I don't know anything about the alternative cover art, but I'd surely like to hear the album the way it was originally intended, as a double album. And as much as I love the Windswept EP, it has a different sound, it seems the older tracks have been remixed for the occasion, and somehow I don't like it. (Just as I never liked the remix of To Turn You On for the Avalon album.) I'd like to hear the original versions and the entire album exactly as it was intended before commercial interests of the record company got in the way.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:57 am 

Anyone know why Sunset was not included on the Live in Paris dvd, as the video is on Youtube, and it looks as if the cover image for the dvd (possibly) came from that performance?

https://youtu.be/YV0MHsLBE0o

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:19 am 

Vinny wrote:
https://theimmortaljukebox.com/2015/05/21/blood-on-the-tracks-bryan-ferrys-the-bride-stripped-bare/

I think it is in the video clips in this article though I’m not 100% sure. I’ve definitely seen a better image somewhere.

Fanatical Ferryistas,

Mon dieu - what a fabulous article this is.

It should be made compulsory reading for any self respecting Roxologist !

He captures the mood of the album perfectly - it remains a fabulous piece of work and personally, Windswept is relieved they didn't go with the first album art. Our hero looks incredibly louche on the released version. It remains a standout cover and is up there with the ATGB sleeve in terms of creativity.

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:51 am 

Robertron wrote:
Anyone know why Sunset was not included on the Live in Paris dvd, as the video is on Youtube, and it looks as if the cover image for the dvd (possibly) came from that performance?

https://youtu.be/YV0MHsLBE0o

Hedonistic Hipsters,

This post is a prime example of why Windswept adores this site.

This fabulous version of 'Sunset' was lurking in the ether and Robertron has brought it to life via this hallowed cyber hall.

What's more, this shows why the great Oberon was both right and wrong about Colin Good. He was right when he said he was our hero's best ever musical director. He was wrong when he said we could do well without him.

The Good/Ferry partnership was absolutely and utterly peak Ferry and our hero should rush out and rebond with him sans delai.

Those arrangements and that band were completely incomparable and that night, the stars were truly aligned with our hero giving his best ever performance.

If ever there is need of a Director's cut it is this DVD. The thought that this version of 'Sunset' lies on the cutting room floor is too much to bare. It breaks Windswept's heart.

W2 is moved to appeal directly to l'equipe Ferry:

"Mes Amis, if you read this, we must have the whole ATGB re-released. The album, The full DVD and a full concert CD".

Il faut aller vite,

Salutations,

Windswept

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:37 am 

This performance of Sunset is indeed sublime. Pure poetry. So pleasing he didn't choose to do an 'edit' as with so many songs in the repertoire - there's not a line in this Roxy great that you could go without.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:09 pm 

UKRichard wrote:
This performance of Sunset is indeed sublime. Pure poetry.

Mes Amis,
UKRichard is so correct.
W2 is in emotional turmoil thinking this performance lies unloved on Studio One's cutting room floor. The thought has Windswept gnawing at his navy blue knitted silk charvet tie - it's too much to bare !
Il faut lance un cri de coeur for a special ATGB/AEWBF special edition featuring DVDs & CDs.
Next year marks the twentieth anniversary of ATGB - surely a great moment to celebrate with a commemorative edition.
Windswept calls on Roxologists of all persuasions to set their differences aside and unite behind this proposal.
Can he have your support ?
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:33 pm 

Quote:

Mais oui. Bien sur.

(And to think I once felt those two years of CSE French were a waste of time.)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:54 pm 

UKRichard wrote:
Quote:

Mais oui. Bien sur.

(And to think I once felt those two years of CSE French were a waste of time.)

Cher UKRichard,
CSE, oh to be so young !
Is this not a fabulous version of Sunset ?
From memory, this is probably the only out take from that concert.
Nonetheless, to have the whole thing re-mastered and re-issued with an accompanying CD has to be the thinking Roxologists dream.
Salutations,
Windswept

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next