VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry Acoustic Show
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:09 pm 

Warning - this looks like it will be seriously good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:59 pm 

Colin Good? Windswept 2 will be overjoyed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:02 pm 
Site Owner

Jerry Nunn wrote:

I have just got my laptop insured for spontaneous combustion for when Windswept 2 drools over that information :-)

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:09 pm 

Early feedback from a couple of friends who were lucky enough to be there suggests that the songs were significantly re-imagined and perhaps more in the Babylon Berlin style.

Chance Meeting and This Island Earth were reportedly the highlights.

Hoping that there will be some recorded evidence available and that it will lead to more shows in a similar vein. :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:04 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
Jerry Nunn wrote:

I have just got my laptop insured for spontaneous combustion for when Windswept 2 drools over that information :-)

J.O'B.

Hedonistic Hipsters,

Windswept's excitement cup runneth over !

The idea of this line up playing a central part in the upcoming tour has W2 in a state of euphoria.

Windswept had a strong feeling that our hero wouldn't let us down. One of the things that has kept him so fresh over the years is his capacity to know when to ring the changes. It's a taste thing and he is the taste tarantula !

The Goodster & The Bonny Lad have always been the perfect partnership and the thought of them treading the boards again or perhaps making another album warms the cockles of Windswept's heart in a way that only Talisker, a new suit from A&S or a romantic encounter with Mrs.W can.

Of course, we'll have the whinging and whining from the feather boa crowd but frankly they'll just have to get over themselves.

Viva Ferry, Viva Good et salutations a tous,

Windswept.

Ps. If it transpires that this line up was just for this event and last years line up is resurrected for the tour, Windswept will slash his wrists.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:26 pm 

I wonder if the Mamouna album is going to be featured on the upcoming tour? It's overdue an airing (although not as overdue a It's Your Mind airing).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:52 pm 

Brace yourself Windswept2......BryanFerryandRoxyMusic @Networld updated the post with the band details to say this:-

"The band that played in Beyeler was a unique band and set designed only for the event at Beyeler..."
So that isn’t the band for the 2018 tour.

:? 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:30 pm 

Anything's possible, but given the rehearsal time that would have gone into the acoustic gig, I think it likely that Colin G will be in the band when the 2018 tour officially kicks off in a couple of weeks... However, who knows what BF will come up with?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:35 am 

Roxy wrote:
Brace yourself Windswept2......BryanFerryandRoxyMusic @Networld updated the post with the band details to say this:-

"The band that played in Beyeler was a unique band and set designed only for the event at Beyeler..."
So that isn’t the band for the 2018 tour.

:? 8-)

Hipsters,

Ohhhhhhhhh Noooooooo*

W2 hopes that this is fake news either from the Kremlin or the guy with the crazy hair but he fears not.

Roxy, is just is too reliable and her post had Windswept spiralling into depression - then he caught sight of DJC's words and hope started to spring eternal again.

W2 is now hoping for a mixed set with something for the more descerning Ferryista in the middle. Surely all this rehearsal time won't go to waste ?

Salutations a tous,

W2

* Smudge, this is not a spelling mistake, it's an expression of alarm.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:38 pm 

I was there. It was very special. Here is a little review wot I wrote:

Bryan and the Baselitzs

The Fondation Beyeler has a reputation for hosting ‘salon’ nights showcasing musicians with a deeper appreciation of fine art. 2015 saw Mark Almond celebrate Brel’s love of Gaugin, 2016 hosted Patti Smith, who will be forever connected to Mapplethorpe and 2017 heralded Factory cohort, John Cale. So, it was fitting that in 2018 this intimate basement gallery space be turned over to Richard Hamilton alumni and eclectic art collector, Mr Bryan Ferry.
Looking like a bemused Melvyn Bragg be-coiffed Oxford don, Ferry sat awkwardly gestrandet an leben und kunst. But within three songs, the nervousness and the almost talked through lyrics were replaced with self-assuredness as his larynx warmed to the job.
There is no doubt that the voice is shot, that’s a fact. But like an athlete after serious injury, Ferry has had to learn a different game to accommodate his physical limitations. Today, his voice works wonderfully when fully embracing its fragility and melancholy.
It was a brave decision to take on an evening that would expose a lesser artist. Billed as ‘an intimate acoustic evening with Bryan Ferry’, my good friend Yuko and I had imagined it would consist of just Bryan with keyboards and harmonica and Chris Spedding on acoustic guitar. Not quite Ed Sheeran, more Bob Dylan pre- Newport Folk Festival. With this in mind, we played Setlist Bingo guessing that Reason or Rhyme, More Than This, Don’t Think Twice, Chance Meeting and Carrickfergus (it was St Paddy’s Day after all) would be shoe- ins.
Imagine my surprise when I discovered earlier that day a room miked up for at least seven players. Oh no, was this just going to be a shortened version of the usual gig set-up? I’d come from London and Yuko, unbelievably, from Osaka to witness what we thought might be the only chance to see Ferry stripped bare (even). A one-off. Perhaps never to be repeated.
It became obvious at first glance of Colin Good that we would be transported back to an As Time Goes By Jazz Age era. And we were. Yuko immediately christened this the Berlin Babylon gig. As a timid Reason or Rhyme (at least we got one right!) petered out, so Bitter Sweet with the Weill dial turned up to 11 jackbooted its way into the room. Well, we were only 5 minutes from the German border, so it felt eminently fitting.
Next up was Where or When, almost heartbreakingly wistful with Jorge Chalmers and Robert Fowler duetting sweetly on clarinets. Meanwhile, back in the Weimar Republic, we were whisked off to The Blue Angel for Marlene’s Falling in Love Again, which saw a gentle sway from the audience.
Into a well-drilled dollop of Dylan, Don’t Think Twice as heard on past tours. At this point I thought we would stay landlocked in a bygone age and I was yearning for something new.
It came in the shape of Chance Meeting.
Randa’s film ‘Mighty’ captures Mr F listening intently and proudly to the original track of just him and Roxy’s bassist Graham Simpson playing, and Graham is memorialised stating he hoped Bryan would one day play it like that again. Tonight, he did. Colin Good on grand piano and Marina Moore on violin, the only backing to Ferry’s plaintive vocals. It was magical and when it surged to crescendo the place erupted. The best response of the entire evening.
Now we’re talking. And out of character, that’s what Ferry did extensively all night between every track. Was this the ‘talk in English’ the Fondation had promised? Had Mr Bracewell had to duck out for reasons unknown?
On to a new track. What is this Yuko? I have no idea Jocelyn. It’s totally unrecognisable. Then a lyric connects, and I identify it as Don’t Want to Know. Parred right back, vulnerable, it was a total reinvention. The same thing happens with Boys and Girls. I know every Ferry lyric inside out but twice now a reinterpretation has caught me on the hop. Taken right back to the bones, a triumph. Then miracle of miracle, Mamouna a song I’ve always thought of as mediocre, was lifted to another level. This was like experiencing a brand-new album.
And now for the icing on the cake, with a great big maraschino cherry and a sparkler. This Island Earth does a sultry samba behind a half-closed door, taking its clothes off very, very slowly. It washes over us with its deliciousness, thoroughly seducing us and, as in life … leaves without saying goodbye.
If all I’d heard was Chance Meeting and This Island Earth, it was well worth the special trip. It bodes well for interesting song choices and new arrangements on the new tour. But selfishly, I’d like to leave it all there in the Fondation with Ferry crowned King amongst the Klees.