VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry on tour 2018
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:47 pm 

Sadly, after seeing BF/RM around 35 times over the years, I think the "Hammersmith Odeon" on 4 May will be my last. I can take the diminished voice and the air of tribute band, but coupled with the sheer lack of imagination as to the set-list, and lack of
communication, it's too much.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:16 am 

VivaVoce wrote:
Sadly, after seeing BF/RM around 35 times over the years, I think the "Hammersmith Odeon" on 4 May will be my last. I can take the diminished voice and the air of tribute band, but coupled with the sheer lack of imagination as to the set-list, and lack of
communication, it's too much.

How terribly painful this post must have been to write VivaVoce? But I concur, this'll be my last Ferry outing too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:44 am 

Oops. I feel I started this . Now I am one week away from the Palladium, I am anticipating it (sagely). And as a fan.
Let’s bear witness.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:24 am 

I wonder if the whole of Hammersmith 'Odeon' chanting ROXY...ROXY... ROXY...ROXY...might make the man realise just how much we all miss said band? ;) ;) ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:45 pm 

Stabbs MacKenzie wrote:
I wonder if the whole of Hammersmith 'Odeon' chanting ROXY...ROXY... ROXY...ROXY...might make the man realise just how much we all miss said band? ;) ;) ;)

Nice one

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:36 pm 

The Thrill of it All is over for me as our mini Ferry Fandango comes to an end. Newcastle, Glasgow and Edinburgh have been and gone and normal service is resumed. As discussed around the usual BF/RM places the setlist has been very familiar since 2015 so I have little to add on any exciting surprises. Certainly nothing to beat that first night of the 2015 tour when John sent me a text to update the VRM website saying "track 4.....Beauty Queen....no kidding!" That remains one of my best memories.

The only track fresh to my ears.....well since 1994.....was Mamouna and the re-working of the song in the "Babylon Berlin" style was wonderful and after the first Night at Newcastle I found myself looking forward to hearing it again. Coupled with Bitter Sweet in the same style they made a great moment in the set and I imagine it was the same for any fans of the early albums. The atmosphere at the City Hall was fantastic and you can see how chuffed Bryan is to play there and there was the added bonus of seeing TGPT there and he said it was "a great night at Newcastle city hall ! BF (who was on great form) and his band were rocking !"

https://youtu.be/p5jZl0tMEyQ

Edinburgh may just have sneaked in as best for me, down to several factors. Front row seat this time so not far to go to hit the stage at the right time...........which was on Re-make/Re-model instead of waiting until Avalon as had been the case at previous shows( More than This at Glasgow). I think it made the difference and Bryan stepped up a gear. The rest of the show flew past and soon were Doing the Strand which usually signals the end of the show. Bryan was pretending to walk to the wings and we all screamed at him to get back and give us another song, he looked at the band and smiled and I think as we had been such an excellent audience we were rewarded with an extra song........Hold On, I'm Coming.

Would I have liked maybe even half a dozen new/old changes to the set?.....yes. Did it stop me enjoying the three shows I attended?......no. I look forward to the Kelvingrove Bandstand in July.

Time is marching on my friends and one day there will be no shows to discuss so enjoy if you are going to any of the remaining dates.

8-) :) 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:53 pm 

I watch a bit passed half the clip (Mamouna). It´s dark. The funk is left out. But that´s probably fine with many of you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:12 am 

Mrs. Manifesto, myself and 4 other troubadours attended the maestro’s sold out show in Belfast on Monday night.
I was looking forward to ‘The Main Thing’ as the opener as it was my favourite track from ‘Avalon’ and it was also the opening for the first time I ever saw Roxy back in 1982 in the RDS in Dublin. I had been a fan since 1976 but never got to see them live until then(except on TV). So, I was filled with nostalgia hearing it again. There were many treats during the night. The first surprise for me was the size of the band (it was bigger than I was expecting) and the light show was sumptuous and spectacular throughout. Chris Spedding really shone throughout the evening using a variety of playing styles. ‘Out of the Blue’ was just as soaring as it should be thanks to Marina Moore’s work. ’Bitter Sweet’ was very ‘Babylon Berlin’ influenced. If I had a wish list for future tours, it would be to have a tour using the ‘Jazz Age’ and ‘Babylon Berlin’ material but assembling such a band would probably be prohibited by cost. ‘Mamouna’ and ‘More than this’ benefitted from their rearrangements: becoming more wistful and haunting. Jorja shone during ‘Windswept’ and ‘Mamouna’-she has become a crucial part of the band dynamic.
Bryan seemed to be really enjoying himself: more than I can remember at any performance I’ve seen; no doubt helped by the front of the stage and aisles filling up with members of the audience dancing. The whole of the Waterfront shouted ‘Virginia Plain’ to the final question in the song.
I’ve attended quite a few concerts by Mr Ferry: ATGB in the Olympia Theatre and the concert with the RTE orchestra are standouts. I would include this concert up with them. ‘Next time is the best time we all know’ so I came home and booked Mrs Manifesto and myself for Trinity College festival concert in Dublin in July!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:13 am 

Gary wrote:
Stabbs MacKenzie wrote:

Nice one

Shouldn't be too difficult to get going! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:43 am 

Street Life at Bristol.
Please keep it in.
I’ve folded,
Yours, ae.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next