VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry on tour 2018
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:20 pm 

Smudge wrote:
I'm confused, Christian Gulino was the MD for all of the 2017 tour.....where was there a change in personnel midway through?

If you look at the VRM 2018 tour page, it seems that Christian is only in the band for this week, after which he will be replaced by Richard Cardwell.

Thanks Smudge, I had only looked the the band names which appear at the top of that page which does not include Cardwell. It is odd as I have seen a page from the tour book which has Christian Gulino listed so perhaps he has had to pull out and Cardwell was not availble for the first few shows. The change is only after four shows so not really midway through as there are still another sixteen dates after the change.

Thank to Gaz for your review and I think we were all hoping for more than one fresh track, the rest having been in the pool of tracks for the past several tours. It's early days though and perhaps he is easing himself in gently with the choices. It is going to be odd having only one guitar after being used to at least two if not three over the past few years. The good thing is that it is Chris though but I will be sorry not to see Fonzie beaming down from the stage. I am hoping for my three shows not to have the exact same set list! :)

8-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:35 am 

The jazz age tour was genuinely exciting and the recent Swiss thing seemed at least 'interesting' ....However, this all seems so predictable and dull. So glad I didn't buy a ticket and have to experience the sensation of mustering up forced enthusiasm when LITD comes on. Maybe it's time for him to hang up his threadbare vocal chords and write ambient music for soundtracks .....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:01 am 

I am hoping for my three shows not to have the exact same set list!

I think this is a valid concern, which too few artists address; hopefully your point will be spotted by someone in Team BF and passed on for consideration.

While fans may want a polished performance, they probably don't want to book for two or more shows in quick succession (the London ones being the obvious example, but many fans will go to Glasgow & Edinburgh and maybe Newcastle too...) and feel like they've seen exactly the same show repeated.

Some bands (such as Gov't Mule and the Allman Brothers Band before them) will change almost the entire set list from night to night for the benefit of fans who follow them on tour. They also check what they played on previous visits to any given city, in order to avoid repetition.

As for Springsteen, his musicians are expected to know and be able to play any song from his archive (and sometimes from rock 'n roll history in general), due to his practice of accepting audience requests during shows.

BF's band must surely have rehearsed additional songs, so changing up to a handful from night to night ought to be possible.

I'm just hoping that the June gigs in Amsterdam and Antwerp will be all that Dublin could have been a couple of years ago, i.e. a selection of songs which are ripe for orchestral arrangements, rather than simply bolting a few strings on to the regular set list. If something special can be done for the recent semi-private gig in Switzerland, perhaps we regulars may yet be similarly rewarded. Fingers crossed...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:33 am 

Smudge wrote:

I'm just hoping that the June gigs in Amsterdam and Antwerp will be all that Dublin could have been a couple of years ago, i.e. a selection of songs which are ripe for orchestral arrangements, rather than simply bolting a few strings on to the regular set list. If something special can be done for the recent semi-private gig in Switzerland, perhaps we regulars may yet be similarly rewarded. Fingers crossed...

Desole Smudge,

Your point over 'Dublin' is just not correct.

The set list was very different in content to the rest of the 2014 tour and was brilliantly arranged for strings. You may or may not have liked it but it was specific for those two evenings.

If you click on the specific set lists in this hallowed cyber hall, you will be able to see the evidence. Dublin bore no relation to the gigs before or after.

Although he wasn't there, W2 did hear that there were some sound issues on the first night but the second evening, when he was in attendance, it was Ferry nirvana.

Given that everything was changed for Dublin, there is every prospect
that this will happen for future orchestrated performances but nothing is guaranteed as last year's Hollywood Bowl set was very similar, if not the same, as the rest of the tour.

With regard to 2018, Windswept was certainly hoping for a new show but it is clear that this has not happened. It is also bizarre that there aren't any songs from this century.

IWNSHO this is a shame because we've had some great 'concept' shows in the past with extremely creative set lists, extensive line ups, fabulous staging and more than a touch of glamour.

This looks to be a much more paired back affair. It's the smallest band he's toured with in a long time. There may be a couple of changes as things progress. We've seen one already. But Windswept fears that the die as cast and that he will have to fall on his old maxim that "All Ferry Is Good Ferry".

We will see, maybe this is a unique sound ... the powder remains dry.

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:08 pm 

Chers amis!

After the fantastic set list of the semi-private show in Switzerland, it was easy to let the imagination go wild. Now, though, we are back to reality, and for BF that means to please the "audience". And what do they want? Yes, Slave to love, Love is the drug etc. Only in my dream the tedious VP will be replaced by San Simeon.
So, let's be happy that our hero seems to be in good health and that he is still touring! One thing I like about this band, is that there are many women on stage!
À bientôt Paris! - and I'm still hoping for a show in Athens...

To the great Smudge; I always like to read your posts, but to compare Bruce Springsteen to our hero, isn't that like giving a pint of beer to a wine lover?

Bonne soirée à tous!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:38 pm 

Desole Smudge,

Your point over 'Dublin' is just not correct.

The set list was very different in content to the rest of the 2014 tour and was brilliantly arranged for strings. You may or may not have liked it but it was specific for those two evenings.

If you click on the specific set lists in this hallowed cyber hall, you will be able to see the evidence. Dublin bore no relation to the gigs before or after.

Although he wasn't there, W2 did hear that there were some sound issues on the first night but the second evening, when he was in attendance, it was Ferry nirvana.

Given that everything was changed for Dublin, there is every prospect
that this will happen for future orchestrated performances but nothing is guaranteed as last year's Hollywood Bowl set was very similar, if not the same, as the rest of the tour.

You certainly had the best of Dublin, WS2 (friends who attended both nights told me that the second show was much the better of the two); sadly I was only present for the opening night. :(

I could perhaps have made my point more eloquently; the Dublin setlist may have differed from the surrounding dates, but contained few songs that were real surprises and ignored many that would really suit strings and an orchestral treatment. I think BF missed a trick, for example, in allowing Feel The Need to open the show without him.

My fear is that the "lowlands" shows may follow the Hollywood Bowl model that you describe.

We are in agreement that all Ferry is good Ferry (even IYLSE! ;) ), but the scope is there for it to be so much better than just good on those nights. We'll live in hope...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:57 pm 

My gripe is that he’s becoming a Ferry tribute act rather than the real thing. He hung the Royal Albert Hall live release in front of us, he’s played with orchestral backings - at the proms in the park a few years back, at the Hollywood Bowl and in Dublin. He talked last year in an interview about doing something really new , right at the end of the extended Avonmore tour, “ but I can’t say what it is”. And when the posters were issued for this tour, with the tux motif, I thought he might try and do a tour on, say, the Great American songbook, with a bit of jazz and ATGB stlyle classics thrown in. We know he can do this.
AEWBF at the Albert Hall in 2013 was a career peak. (one of many).
The Palladium gig, 2 years ago, yes 2 years , was just ok , in my view.
I really loved the Bete Noire tour, And Mamouna, and Franctic, and Dylanesque, and AEWBF. But I’m not looking forward to , ahem, meh, on 1 May.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:01 pm 

To the great Smudge; I always like to read your posts, but to compare Bruce Springsteen to our hero, isn't that like giving a pint of beer to a wine lover?

Thank you for your kind words, Oberon.

There is room in this life for good beer and fine wine; maybe not on the same table, but The Boss and BF are unlikely to ever appear on the same bill, I guess. :)

I doubt, however, that any artist does more than Springsteen to give his diehard fans what they want to hear. Perhaps the difference is that a greater proportion of those who attend BF's shows want the radio-friendly singles, rather than the real gems which appear on his albums.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:09 pm 

I think he's regressed into a Roxy tribute act, even parroting Phil Manzanera's remark in 2001 that "no one else plays our songs, so we might as well become our own tribute act" in an interview at the beginning of the year. It's rather telling that he doesn't want any thing to do with the other members of Roxy but the set-lists for the last few years are top heavy with Roxy songs considering that his solo catalogue has almost twice as many songs to choose from.In Cardiff 15 of the 23 songs/half songs were Roxy, in Liverpool it was 16 from 23, he seems to drop a solo song in favour of a Roxy song when he does veer away from the now standard set list.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:26 pm 

A review I wrote in 2014:

“What’s the difference between Bryan Ferry as a solo artiste and Roxy Music? Well it has to be said that over the years the it’s been pretty blurred at times. In the early days of both his solo recording and performing career many of Roxy’s members were present in support, particularly TGPT and to some degree Phil Manzanera. The “In your Mind” album and tour showed a slight change in direction with the introduction of Chris Spedding, but many of Roxy were still in the wings, including TGPT, Manzanera and John Wetton. The real departure from this formula came with “The Bride Stripped Bare”, where American session musicians were the order of the day. Pretty underrated offering, but it might be argued that the disc lacked something. Also, when they reformed Roxy were starting to do covers and “Avalon” features a track without either Andy or Phil.

What confuses the issue even more is material. Roxy had always played Roxy songs until the “Siren” tour, when the solo tracks “Hard Rains” and “The In Crowd” appeared. Then Roxy material started creeping into the solo gigs.

So onto the 2014 Glastonbury performance. It started with the classic, but shortened “Remake/Remodel”. No disrespect to Cherisse Osei, but this track is nothing without the powerhouse drumming of TGPT and so it failed for me. “Kiss And Tell” and “Slave To Love” were little better, but fortunately things picked up with “Ladytron”, while “If there is Something” continued the improvement with a rousing finish. “In Every Dreamhome” again lacked something in atmosphere, probably because Phil, Andy and Paul were not performing on it (compare this version to that performed by Roxy on the Jonathan Ross show).

As the gig progressed, more and more Roxy material kept coming and over 80% of the songs performed during the gig were Roxy tunes. Jorja Chalmers played Andy’s parts pretty well, while Guy Pratt and the introduction of Spedding moved us more towards a Roxy sound.

Even though the start was stuttering, in all honesty I couldn’t say that I didn’t enjoy this gig. However, why play so much Roxy Music material if we were supposed to be watching a Bryan Ferry gig? In my opinion Roxy songs don’t sound like Roxy without Phil, Andy and Paul. Does Bryan have an issue with his own solo material or did he know that Roxy songs would be better suited to a festival, as are Roxy Music as a band. Time to remove the blurriness Bryan - Roxy songs at Roxy gigs (if there are ever any more) and solo material at your gigs please!”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next