VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 2018 Tour Reviews
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:39 am 

Monday 9th April, St. David's Hall, Cardiff.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/ ... ll-cardiff

8-)

Post subject: Re: 2018 Tour Reviews
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:50 pm 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/conce ... -frontman/

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:16 am 

Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, 17 April.

http://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/live-m ... l-17-april

Colston Hall, Bristol, 25th April.

https://www.bristol247.com/culture/musi ... on-hall-2/

Symphony Hall, Birmingham, 29th April.

http://www.thereviewshub.com/bryan-ferr ... irmingham/

London Palladium (1st Show), 1st May.

https://onlyrockandroll.london/2018/05/02/bryan-ferry/

8-)

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:53 pm 

Hedonistic Hipsters, Debauched Dilettantes & Hopeful Hepcats,

Fresh from the Apollo, Windswept delivers his verdict. It was a great night.
The mantra that all Ferry is good Ferry holds but it was good Ferry and not peak Ferry.
Mais pourquoi ? W2 hears you shout down the hallowed cyber line. Well, for the full review read on:

D'abord, the set list and staging.
Not surprisingly, the set list was the disappointment of the evening for W2.
Eighty percent was identical to last year's Hampton Court gig. W2 didn't think it was the most creative selection the first time around so repeating it wasn't a plus.
Of course it includes some gems. 'Bitter Sweet', 'Mamouna', 'Wasteland' and 'Windswept' to name but four.
And no self-respecting Roxologist could ever tire of hearing the likes of 'Stronger Through The Years' , 'In Every Dream Home' and 'Out Of The Blue'.
But the rest was a best of fest designed to delight the casual fan. It was never going to slake the thirst of the more discerning Ferryista.
IWNSHO, when you compare it to his other tours it simply isn't as creative. He needs a theme and if he wants to keep touring sans arret we need something different a la ATGB, AEWBF, Frantic or Dylanesque. He has set the standards for this century with those tours and comparisons will be inevitable.
Behind those tours was the Ferry/Good partnership. It was extremely creative and came up with fabulous arrangements that kept things fresh.
Ferry is now onto his fourth MD since Colin was either rested or rested himself and W2 doesn't see what his successors are really adding other to rehearse the band on standard arrangements of a seldom changing set list.
The staging and light show were fine but standard fair compared with some of the movie back drops and dancers used in previous tours.

Deuxiemement le music et le band - Happily, both were superb.
Jorja Chalmers is absolutely brilliant. Boy can that girl blow up a storm and to say she adds a little frisson in the process is the understatement of the decade. W2 is excited about a solo album.
Chris Spedding WAS the guitar department and one can only imagine the conversation between him and Ferry:
BF. "Great news Chris I want you on lead."
CS."Ah, thanks Bryan I'm honoured. Who'll I be playing with ?"
BF. "The world's greatest guitarist ."
CS. "You've got Gilmour!"
BF. "No Chris, that would be you too"
CS." I'm playing with myself then. Does this mean double the wonga?"
BF. " Not exactly Chris but I'm altering the lyric to 'Oh Yeah' it's now
"Rhythm of Rhyming Guitar" Also think what this will do for your
future career."
CS. "Bryan, I'm 72"
BF. "Don't worry Chris I'm not ageist."
With every pre-programmed pedal in the world it was going to be a stretch and it is a testimony to Spedding's musicianship that he managed to pull it off so brilliantly. Although it didn't scale the heights of Frantic's Spedding and Mick Green (RIP) partnership, it was infinitely better than the sound produced by Quistgaard last year. Chris just has so much more texture and soul to his playing and frankly the solo guitar worked well.
Marina Moore was also fabulous on strings and made a significant contribution.
The rhythm section was first class but W2 thought the drums too loud in the mix.
The keyboards and backing vocals were all superb.
But, the big surprise of the night was actually our hero's voice. Windswept doesn't know what he's being taking but it's strong again and he sounded great. OK, the range is different but independent of that, he was belting them out and without any Fonzi to smooth things.

Troisiement le merchandising et le sartorial.
Yes there is a tour book and W2 forever the fan bought it. He shouldn't have bothered because like the set list, it is made up of essays that we've all read before in previous books but it was nice that he gave a much deserved mention to our editor in chief J O'B.
Apropos le sartorial. If it is allowed in this #methree world, W2 would like to say Jorja looked amazing but our hero needs to retire that Robin Hood jacket and revert to his A&S finest with all speed.
It's not a disaster but like the set list, not the best.

Quatriemement the audience . If ever proof was needed that Roxology is a broad church this was it.
Windswept had the misfortune to have this particular n'er-do-well in front of him who had the chutzpah to block his view by waving this electronic contraption in front of him thru' which he appeared to be watching the gig.
After asking him politely to refrain didn't work, W2 explained that he hadn't paid £170 (Mrs W was there) to look at his phone. When that didn't work he resolved the issue by offering to place his phone in his orifice of his choice.
But really, what are these people thinking about ?
This culture of me seems to reign supreme and is just so tiring.
Other than that, the audience was very enthusiastic. We had a great time and a contingent rushed the stage at the appropriate moment. Albeit the size of some of the stage rushers may have been a little frightening for our hero and in truth, he probably didn't know how quickly to leg it back to Chelsea.
In summary, it was a great night but Windswept left wishing he'd been at the acoustic show and hoping for something new, different and better next time.
But hey, all Ferry is good Ferry and the maestro reigns supreme.
Salutations a tous et bon gig for those taking in the main land Europe shows.
W2

Last edited by Windswept2 on Fri May 04, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:53 pm 

Thanks WS2 for a really thoughtful and insightful review! Indeed All Ferry is Good Ferry, but it appears it would be very difficult for this latest incarnation to achieve Peak Ferry....

Regarding your audience experience, I feel for you! The smartphone has wreaked havoc on our civic norms and you're considered some kind of neanderthal if you dare question people's ability to use it anywhere, anytime, for any purpose. Sigh. I'm just a cranky old man I guess...

Thanks again for your commentary WS2!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:46 pm 

DCJ wrote:
Sigh. I'm just a cranky old man I guess...

Thanks again for your commentary WS2!!!

Cher DCJ,
Not at all.
The neanderthals are those that want to view life through a contraption rather than living it.
You are clearly a discerning hipster and we have to push back otherwise all will be lost.
Ferry forever, via cel phone never !
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:23 pm 

Thanks W2 for a good and balanced review. My excpectations were also on the lower side after reading this site for the last four weeks.

There were of course absolutely no surprises in the setlist but all in all my family and I had a great time last night. And after seeing him on ten different tours I finally got to hear Dreamhouse live!

My wife and I brought our two youngest to London so they basically had no choice but to come along for my «Ferry fix»!
The youngest who turned 10 yesterday had a quick(?) nap between STL and JG but still enjoyed himself. My 15 year old daughter who also saw Ferry for the first time was impressed by his energy level, after all he is pushing 73..!-)

I also noticed some in the audience who watched the concert through their phones, but my daughter informed me that compered to the Selena Gomez show she saw a couple of years ago almost everyone last night watched Ferry the natural way!
Before the show I feared this may be the last one but now I am more than ready for Ferry 2019!

«we’re too young to reason too grown up to dream»

Regards
Uwe2

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:01 am 

Great comments here and a comprehensive overview from W2. For me the comment
Quote:
He needs a theme
nails the issues around this tour. With, a it turns out, no (RAH) album to promote, this tour really needed something else to hang its hat and, in largely regurgitating what had gone immediately before, it has failed to do so.
I look forward to a return to 'peak Ferry' when he plans his next fandango.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:01 am 

Thanks WS2 - an excellent and honest report of the concert, with odd touches of spicy humour, lovely.

Great that so many people are enjoying the shows. The critics have been very fair to Bryan, but I must say as a RM die-hard, I am lost. I can't push myself to see a repeat of a repeat, and where a couple of years back, there were comments of the BF Lite show, it is now XXL Lite as I see it, albeit excellent musicians of course.

Quoting: "But hey, all Ferry is good Ferry and the maestro reigns supreme."

I hope he keeps well and sets a focus on a new "theme". it is never too late.

Best wishes

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:16 am 

UKRichard wrote:
Great comments here and a comprehensive overview from W2. For me the comment
Quote:
He needs a theme
nails the issues around this tour. With, a it turns out, no (RAH) album to promote, this tour really needed something else to hang its hat and, in largely regurgitating what had gone immediately before, it has failed to do so.
I look forward to a return to 'peak Ferry' when he plans his next fandango.

Even if the much-hoped for RAH release had emerged it's hard to see many of the songs from that set-list being played live again now for Ferry's 2018 audience. Apart from Hard Rain, Smoke Gets In Your Eyes and In-Crowd few if any of these songs have been played by him for many years and would surely prompt bafflement from the casual fans waiting for LST and LITD.