VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018 Tour Reviews
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:14 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
Jorja Chalmers' playing is beyond good.............Of course, many songs she plays on have never been played by Andy Mackay so comparisons are only partly relevant but when she does play Roxy songs, she is every bit his equal.

As a non- musician, I am always wary about airing my views on musicianship ( particularly where, as appears to be the case on VRM, a number of our cohort are musical and therefore much more technically aware than me). However, in this instance, I feel compelled to put my tuppence worth in.

Jorja and Andy may (or may not) be equals, but even my untrained ear can tell that they are definitely not equivalents. Each time that I see Jorja play I am struck with the feeling that she is technically very proficient but mechanical in her output. Far from being equivalents, Andy’s playing seems to me to be the antithesis of Jorja’s.

The super deluxe RM package highlights how critical Andy was to the unique early Roxy sound. I mean no disrespect to Jorja, but had somebody with her undoubted qualities been in the line up rather than Andy, I suspect that Roxy would have been little more than a footnote in musical history.

PS - of course, Jorja may feel no particular emotional affinity to RM/BF material and/or may well feel under pressure of audience expectation (or be under direct instruction) to play as she does on BF tours, so we may not be seeing the real depth of her talent. The solo album mooted by WS2 will help settle things on that score as she will presumably be able to do her thing free from any such inhibitions.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:54 pm 

It might just be that she's doing as she is told to by our beloved singer as the arrangements of the songs are very much uniform now and don't move away from the improvisations of the earlier tours. Ferry's not be himself on this as Jeff Lynne's ELO for example copy the recorded sound almost note for note as well as the more well known songs in the back catalogue. One thing Miss Chalmers does do more frequently than Andy Mackay did is to move to centre stage when soloing. I think her and over the last few tours Ollie Thompson and Quist have done is dominate the sound more to the eclipse of Neil Hubbard and Chris Spedding.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:55 am 

[quote="Windswept2Rumour has it that she has a solo album out shortly and W2 can't wait to get his paws on it.
Evidently Andy Mackay has already pre-ordered his ![/quote]
Wonder if she's rushed out to secure her 3 Psalms tickets yet? :?:

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:01 am 

UKRichard wrote:
Quote:
that sax-girl

Quote:
That Jorga woman

I see diversity is alive and well here.

Dodgy ground when discussing a man who has traditionally surrounded himself with little more than eye candy!

Let's stop the hypocrisy eh?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:10 pm 

Quote:
Let's stop the hypocrisy eh?

It's not hypocrisy - where have I ever said I agree with what, nowadays, some would term the objectification of women? I think with hindsight a lot of what's been done in the past looks rather dodgy by 21st century standards (whilst acknowledging 'different times').
Anyway, good luck defending terms like those used should you ever need to in an equality engaged workplace.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:15 am 

"equality engaged workplace"?

I'm genuinely impressed.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:54 am 

"Jorja and Andy may (or may not) be equals, but even my untrained ear can tell that they are definitely not equivalents. Each time that I see Jorja play I am struck with the feeling that she is technically very proficient but mechanical in her output. Far from being equivalents, Andy’s playing seems to me to be the antithesis of Jorja’s."

The super deluxe RM package highlights how critical Andy was to the unique early Roxy sound. I mean no disrespect to Jorja, but had somebody with her undoubted qualities been in the line up rather than Andy, I suspect that Roxy would have been little more than a footnote in musical history."

For a 'non-musician', as you call yourself, you've absolutely hit the nail on the head Avondale! That's my feeling exactly. I've met and played with many technically gifted sax players that play without an ounce of soul, they just read/blow the dots. Andy himself admits to not being the best saxophonist in the world, and recently said in an interview that jazz players scare him to death because they practice so much, something he apparently rarely does, but when he plays you can hear the man behind the instrument! And in my mind, that's what a saxophone is all about; hearing the passion/soul/feeling/love for the piece.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:10 pm 

Stabbs MacKenzie wrote:
"Jorja and Andy may (or may not) be equals, but even my untrained ear can tell that they are definitely not equivalents. Each time that I see Jorja play I am struck with the feeling that she is technically very proficient but mechanical in her output. Far from being equivalents, Andy’s playing seems to me to be the antithesis of Jorja’s."

The super deluxe RM package highlights how critical Andy was to the unique early Roxy sound. I mean no disrespect to Jorja, but had somebody with her undoubted qualities been in the line up rather than Andy, I suspect that Roxy would have been little more than a footnote in musical history."

For a 'non-musician', as you call yourself, you've absolutely hit the nail on the head Avondale! That's my feeling exactly. I've met and played with many technically gifted sax players that play without an ounce of soul, they just read/blow the dots. Andy himself admits to not being the best saxophonist in the world, and recently said in an interview that jazz players scare him to death because they practice so much, something he apparently rarely does, but when he plays you can hear the man behind the instrument! And in my mind, that's what a saxophone is all about; hearing the passion/soul/feeling/love for the piece.

That's exactly what made Roxy Music such an incredible band. Of course Andy's sax, but also Bryan's voice (and keys), Phil's guitar, Paul's drum and Eno's sound treatments brought Roxy to a creative peak. Even the classical input of Eddie did. After that all kind of session people walked in, and for me it was over and out...
That said, I still like Bryan's AT,AP and IYM. It were his best solo efforts.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:38 am 

"That's exactly what made Roxy Music such an incredible band. Of course Andy's sax, but also Bryan's voice (and keys), Phil's guitar, Paul's drum and Eno's sound treatments brought Roxy to a creative peak. Even the classical input of Eddie did. After that all kind of session people walked in, and for me it was over and out...
That said, I still like Bryan's AT,AP and IYM. It were his best solo efforts."

Sentimental you may be......fool you are not!!!

IYM is the man's finest hour IMHO.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:10 am 

Couldn’t agree more re IYM comments. Of all the BF albums this is the one for me that gets the most plays . No track skipping, a perfect collection.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next