VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: 2018 Set List
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:17 pm 

My review of the Regensburg show (18-VII-2018):

1. The venue: Fantastic event location in Bavaria – the inner courtyard of an old castle. Perfect weather with mediterranean temperatures. Bryan was obviously very impressed by the atmosphere in Regensburg :D .

2. Music: Our hero’s voice was in a very good shape – better than 2015 and 2017. The band played a tight sound and thanks to the old hand Chris Spedding it’s obviously clear now that we don’t need 3 guitarists to rock the show. Jorja was georgous as always but Luke Bullen was my musician of the evening: Powerful, intelligent drumming. A touch of TGPT 8-) .

3. The setlist: Never heard Mamouna, Don’t Stop The Dance, Tokyo Joe or Casanova live before. Loved to hear Oh Yeah and More Than This. Oh yes - can you imagine a BF concert without Slave To Love and Jealous Guy? That’s just the way it is ... BF played 25 songs, but I don’t remember the exact order, sorry.

4. Jorja: Bought her record (highly recommendable if you like Kate Bush or Tori Amos). I could talk to her while she signed it. Wanted to know which song of the current setlist she likes best. After a short think she said If There Is Something – and smiled ;) .

5. The critic: A woman wrote about the show in the Mittelbayerische Zeitung. But she had a very female sight on things: Bryan loves the ladies, Bryan married young Amanda Sheppard, Jorja attracted much applause from all the males in the public etc. At least there were no factual errors in what she wrote. At the end oft he article she had to concede that there had been frenetic applause for Bryan - the crowd even wanted a third encore (but didn’t get it :( ).

6. Resumé: Happy to see Bryan in such a good constitution. He obviously had fun and the public had it, too. Perfect arrangements, some really brilliant musicians and maybe the best setlist for years (IMHO). If Bryan’s voice turns out to be stable and he wants to go on with touring I can imagine to buy tickets for our hero again – Viva Roxy Music 8-) !! (BTW: It was the most expensive concert I’ve ever been, 139 Euros ...)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:02 pm 

Mrs. Manifesto and I are getting ready for Friday! We saw him in Belfast earlier this year and can't wait for Trinity College.
The Irish Independent ran this article earlier this month:

https://www.independent.ie/entertainmen ... 64825.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:06 am 

Cher pianoman,
Thanks for your great review from Regensburg!

After the show in Paris, I also thought that Luke Bullen really had become a vital part of the band. Marina Moore should also be mentioned. Her somehow mild appearance is of course overshadowed by the black panther, but the violin goes like a golden thread through the music.
Got tickets to the ancient arena in Athens, that will be something special!
And what's going on in Germany in December?

Salutations à tous!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:19 am 

Oberon wrote:
Cher pianoman,
Thanks for your great review from Regensburg!

De rien, Oberon!

After the show in Paris, I also thought that Luke Bullen really had become a vital part of the band. Marina Moore should also be mentioned. Her somehow mild appearance is of course overshadowed by the black panther, but the violin goes like a golden thread through the music.

You are right, Oberon, she is a little bit underrated ...

Got tickets to the ancient arena in Athens, that will be something special! And what's going on in Germany in December?

Bryan will be a part of the Night Of The Proms show with 17 (!) guest appearances in Germany/Luxemburg within 4 weeks.

Salutations à tous!

Have loads of fun in Athens, Oberon - I am sure you'll enjoy it 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:24 pm 

Reviews of a rather wonderful concert on Friday in Dublin. My wife and I enjoyed the rather poignant 'My Only Love' and a great version of 'Casanova'. It rained heavily but the crowd sang along to nearly it all!
Irish Times:
https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/musi ... -1.3578722
Irish Independent:
https://www.independent.ie/entertainmen ... 63364.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:57 am 

Manifesto wrote:
Reviews of a rather wonderful concert on Friday in Dublin. My wife and I enjoyed the rather poignant 'My Only Love' and a great version of 'Casanova'. It rained heavily but the crowd sang along to nearly it all!
Irish Times:
https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/musi ... -1.3578722
Irish Independent:
https://www.independent.ie/entertainmen ... 63364.html

Hipsters,
This must have been a very poignant show and his decision to go ahead with it speaks enormously to the therapeutic value of music both for the performer and the audience.
Good luck and love to all.
It’s also nice to see more avant-gard make it onto the set list albeit Windswept yearns for a ‘concept’ tour.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:13 am 

Chers amis!

Digital problems so i Keep it Short. Fantastisc evening at Odeon HerodesAtticon Atticon. Fabulous setting in the 2500 year old theatre and surprisingly Good sound, especially for BFs voice. Great response from the Greek audience, mostly Women. Best Concert i havet been to together with jazz age at RAH some years ago. Seemed to be a special evening for our hero and his band too. But how could Bryan and Chris Keep their jackets on when it was almost 30 degrees? Don t stop the dance!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:04 pm 

Oberon wrote: Seemed to be a special evening for our hero and his band too.

I guess they have a break now until the German Proms.
I'd rather wish he focused on studio work, or , preferably, writing great new material and taking it into the studio.

Alphaville ( 8 years old , and the rest) has been going around my head recently.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:25 pm 

It looked like a stunning setting! :)

https://www.athensvoice.gr/gallery/4754 ... s-megaloys

8-)