VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018 Set List
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:08 am 

Chers amis!

Thank you very much, mange takk, Henrik, for your nice review from Denmark. It was somehow refreshing to read such a sponaneous, positive impression after way too much - in my opinion - negativity on this forum.
And all the changes on the set list are for the better. Mme Oberon will be delighted that My only love is back. Best of all; BF is coming to Athens! The setting under the starry sky will guarantee a memorable evening.
Bonne journée à tous!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:54 pm 

I've been away from the forum for quite a while. I send best wishes to you all.

I was delighted to hear Mamouna and Zamba at the show in Newcastle City Hall, the set list was ok, but I was disappointed with the lack of engagement with the crowd, especially with it being "home."

As W2 has also touched on; the BF outfit is bland, as are the young girls on keyboards and strings.

I was hoping for more glamour and sparkle from Bryan for our friend Teresa, who had travelled from the USA for this gig....Public Service Broadcasting made up for it the following evening in Middlesbrough;met them in a restaurant before their gig and they were so affable. Their show was reminiscent of early Roxy
Lots of love.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:02 am 

Mes Amis,

This hallowed cyber hall has never been so quiet both during and after a sell-out tour and Windswept finds himself in an unusual ‘limbo’.

His FerryFix at The Apollo has left him strangely unsatisfied and he can only attribute this to the ‘Never Changing Set List’ and the sameness of the show.

Normally, some weeks after a fandango, W2 is to be found in high spirits with a Ferry tune not far from his lips. Sadly, this is not currently the case. His spirits are high but the tune belongs to another artist.

Perhaps his hopes were just unrealistic.

After talk of the RAH release, Babylon Berlin,the new advertising visual and the fabulous Beyeler show, the stage looked set for a whole new fandango. Malheureusement this was not to be and we were served ‘The Same Old Scene’ but without ‘The Same Old Scene’ - which would have been great - if you get Windswept’s meaning.

W2 was further provoked after watching the DVD of Norah Jones’s fabulous set at Ronnie Scott’s.

It was an amazing gig. She took a great list from her catalogue. Re-arranged them in stripped back jazz form and delivered the performance of her career. With her at the piano and supported by Brian Blade on drums and Christopher Thomas on bass, the classic jazz trio format just sizzled.

Of course, she is in her prime, is one of the best jazz pianists around and has the best female voice since Billie Holiday. But that withstanding, W2 couldn’t help but wonder how great it would be if our hero expanded on those ‘stripped’ arrangements that he tantalises us with from time to time.

‘Another Time, Another Place’ peut etre ?

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:06 pm 

My learned college, W2, I couldn't agree more. Unlike the overwhelming majority of tours that preceded it, I just cannot see what this one achieved. It was neither a triumphant re-imagining of the canon (a la ATGB and AEWBF) nor the promotion of a new album. Merely, as you say, The Same Old (Scene). More Than This there is indeed a whole lot more - as JO'B indicated recently and any other fan can work out for themselves.
Given the strapline touted at the time Avonmore came out - the need to have something new to play (oh hindsight presents so much irony!) - I'd have thought, 4 years on, a better use of 2018 might have been the follow up. But that of course is a whole different can of worms (or maybe a case full of the tinned invertebrates).
One can only hope we're blissfully unaware of a master plan that will sate our collective desires soon enough. Now if only there was an emoji for scepticism!
Optimistically (just),
UKR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:45 pm 

I think part of the disappointment over things like the RAH 1974 show's (so far) non-release is that Bryan himself mentioned it in press interviews, only for it to fail to materialise. If he'd not mentioned it in the first place we'd never have known it was in the pipeline - so why not only mention things only when their release is definite? It seems he has lost the wish (or the will) to surprise us these days.

In terms of the set list I was thinking which never played or rarely played gems I would have liked to be pulled like rabbits from a hat by the great man, but too many of them may be beyond his vocal range these days ("No Strange Delight", for instance. Could he manage that one?)

He seems to be copying his hero Mr Dylan with a Never Ending Tour. If come October a further tour for 2019 is announced with little to hint at a change of tack I'm sure I will not be the only one on here thinking twice before seeking tickets.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:21 am 

Henrik wrote:
The band played well, especially hats off to Jorjja Chalmers for her superb playing, it's funny how her sax skills reminds me of Andy MacKay.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:46 am 

Hipsters,

Something else that Windswept has continued to puzzle over is the complete absence of songs from this century.

Gems like ‘I Thought’, ‘Reason Or Rhyme’, ‘Tender Is The Night’, ‘Me Oh My’, ‘Alphaville’, ‘Johnny & Mary’ and ‘No Face, No Name, No Number’ would have been great to hear.

Peut etre the theme for next year’s tour could be ‘Songs From This Century’ albeit an ‘Interpretations ‘ tour would probably be preferable.

‘Interpretations ‘ would allow a melange of covers and reimaginations of originals.

One way or another we need a theme and a sartorial relaunch.

W2 blames that ‘Engelbert Humperdinck ‘ jacket for all of this!

Salutations,
Windswept

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:11 pm 

I saw David Byrne last month, and Angelique Kidjo perform Remain in Light.
What a contrast to the the Ferry gig in May. Byrne was hugely innovative in his stage show, you all know.
Whilst I enjoyed Ferry at the Palladium, the contrasts were immense.
I love their respective contributions to music.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:37 pm 

8 Talking Heads albums and a significant solo career by the main man.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:35 pm 

avalon_eyes wrote:
I saw David Byrne last month, and Angelique Kidjo perform Remain in Light.
What a contrast to the the Ferry gig in May. Byrne was hugely innovative in his stage show, you all know.
Whilst I enjoyed Ferry at the Palladium, the contrasts were immense.
I love their respective contributions to music.

Cher avalon_eyes,
Yes an interesting contrast.
Kidjo's African reimagining of 'Remain In Light' is certainly innovative.
W2 thinks we may be entering a new era of creativity.
With shows being often the main revenue stream and with the UK circuit being dominated by stars of a 'certain age',the go forward challenge is going to be how to keep it fresh and interesting. Particularly when original material is not rolling of the pen as it did when they were in the full flush of youth.
Windswept thinks there are unlimited possibilities for our hero and prays to the Roxy Gods that the next fandango has a strong theme.
Salutations,
W2

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next