VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Top of the Pops
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:02 am 

Just wondered if anyone has been watching the old TOTP repeats on BBC4? They've got up to 1985 at the moment. BF didn't actually make any studio appearances to promote Boys and Girls almost as if he was too good for the show at the time with presenters reinforcing this by referring to him in God like terms. However, the Slave to Love video did get shown and there were also clips of Ferry performing Don't Stop the Dance in Montreaux. Slave to Love narrowly managed to make the top 10 but was released prior to the albums release, whilst Don't Stop the Dance peaked at 21 several months after the album came out and stayed in the top 40 for five weeks (slipping to 41 on its sixth week). STL may have seemed like the obvious single but DSTD is a much superior song IMHO that captures that slick sophistication of the time perfectly. I just wonder would it have trumped STL in the charts had it been released as the lead single. Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Top of the Pops
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:38 pm 

Slick sophistication or too many recording tracks and too much mixing/overproduction. Comes to something when you can't hear some of the guitar greats such as Gimour on a track :(

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:27 am 

IMHO Don’t Stop The Dance is an awful track. Slave to Love is far superior. From Avalon onwards all the albums Dylanesque apart, suffered from over production, too many musicians playing bits here and there.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:13 pm 

Never realised Don't Stop the Dance is so disliked and gets lumped amongst the 80's material regarded as overproduced. I can understand that criticism of most of Boys & Girls - many of the albums songs come more to life when performed live (The Chosen One on the New Town VHS anyone) - but I've always thought that DTSD worked really well for having that extra bit of polish. But then I'm an 80's child who loves that BF period (up to & including Mamouna) as much as I do 70's RM. Likewise it's perhaps understandable why those who grew up on early-70's Roxy would be more dismissive of it.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:56 pm 

Don't stop the dance worked better on the limbo tour Than the recorded version and any live version since.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:25 am 

wrighta wrote:
Don't stop the dance worked better on the limbo tour Than the recorded version and any live version since.

Disagree with that too. Was never mad about the drumbox dominated live version of DTSD in the Bete Noire set even though I mostly loved that tour. The more recent live versions have been fantastic though, I remember being blown away by the version at the St Lukes BBC gig that premiered the Dylanesque tour.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:56 pm 

Dean, you have summed me up perfectly. I have never hidden the fact that all my favourite Roxy and Ferry stuff comes pre Avalon. There are a few gems since then but DSTD has never been one of them IMHO. Unfortunately Street Life wasn’t added until after the 2 shows I attended but had I been expected and find it was binned for DSTD I would have been gutted. Each to their own though.