VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bryan Ferry - 2019
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:47 am 
Site Owner

More dates have been added to the 2019 Tour.

http://vivaroxymusic.com/tours_44.php

J.O'B.

Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry - 2019
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:24 am 

Oh no...don't like this re-re-re-re-reprise. It's too much, too often…

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:39 am 
Site Owner

Royal Albert Hall June 17th 2019

https://www.gigsandtours.com/tour/bryan-ferry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:58 pm 

So we have a "special" performance at the legendary Royal Albert Hall, according to the BF website, albeit one for which the usual presale allocations will sadly not apply.

It would be tempting to hope that a return to the hallowed hall of Kensington will bring out the best in the great man as it did on the Evening With... tour in 2013. An orchestral backing, perhaps? A show that doesn't start with The Main Thing? It would also be nice to be given some (reliable) hints as to what may be on the cards before we pawn the family silver yet again....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:59 pm 

Bryan's PR team can be frustrating at times - we get drip fed dates, no mention of if there's a new album to promote the tour or no mention if it is a new tour or a continuation of the current tour (I think we're still on the Avonmore tour?)

I take it there'll be further UK dates hopefully but I would like to think there is a new album on the horizon or at least some sort of live album.

I'll definitely be going to a few dates but I really hope it's a new tour with new set list etc.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:56 pm 

Mes Amis,

Regular haunters of this hallowed cyber hall will know that W2 is not famous for his cynicism. Indeed, in the past he has been accused of drinking "Kool-Aid" and all manner of nefarious optimistic activities with regard to things Ferry.

Cela dit, on this occasion W2's enthusiasm cup is half empty.

The thought of another 'best of fandango' is not floating his boat.

Gremlins permitting, Windswept will purchase RAH tickets but if early 2019 shows are the same as last year he will be selling them on.

We really need a theme and something new even, if it is something old, borrowed or blue.

Salutations a tous.

W2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:30 pm 

WS2 your reference to past quaffing of Kool-Aid on behalf of BF brought a smile to my face!

I still enjoy listening to BF and Roxy (right now the 2001 Live Roxy CD Set is providing a soundtrack for all the miles I'm logging in my trusty Subaru) but I've pretty much lost interest in the never-ending-Avonmore Tour (that doesn't include any tracks from Avonmore!!!)

Perhaps 2019 will offer something different, but I'm not sure what that "something" might be...

Perhaps a new album of new songs would hold my interest, but how his voice could handle such a task is at best uncertain, at least in my mind.

But I will buy a cd of the LIVE RAH '74 gig if it ever becomes available.

Hmmm. Maybe that's why the June 2019 RAH gig is getting special attention. But who knows...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:23 pm 

Yess, he's coming to Hamburg and he managed to get the Elbphilharmonie :D Now that is really a fantastic location. And to my great relief the tickets are not available via the Elbphilharmonie website, since that would have been a recipe for desaster. (Actually normally more than a third of the people in Elbphilharmonie concerts aren't really interested in the concert itself, they just want to go to the concert hall. Can't blame them. But I'm glad that our hero's tickets will be sold via the usual stores like eventim etc.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:43 pm 

Time he got over himself and did a last Roxy tour.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:02 pm 

On the one hand, the stars seem aligned - the '74 live recording has been promised, 2019 is the 45th anniversary of it and a return to the RAH - the origins of the recording - is, so far, the only UK date of the tour. If indeed this was the purpose of the tour - or at least the RAH element of it - you'd think this worthy of some fanfare, but no. That's a bit too much to ask, we're just expected to part with our hard-earned on little more than a whim. Furthermore, assuming this is a new show and not the interminable Avonmore tour, unless further UK dates are announced we're all expected to compete for tickets at a single UK venue and travel absurd distances. It's just not good enough.
Sadly, for the first time in 43 years I'll be giving a BF outing a miss, unless additional dates nearer to home - showcasing something different - are announced.