VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Bryan Ferry Album
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:56 am 

"Geordie’s Favourite Son"

Eh? Which Geordie?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:21 am 

pianoman wrote:
I assume that all the songs from Bitter Sweet were recorded including tracks with Bryan's voice. Maybe he wasn't content with the results of some of them - we know that he's a perfectionist ;) .

Alphaville and Chance Meeting are instrumental on the Babylon Berlin soundtrack. On Bitter Sweet they seem to be sung by Bryan. This brought me to my assumption.

The album has a very good personnel including Colin Good, Robert Fowler, Enrico Tomasso, Marina Moore and Rhett Davies.....

Cher pianoman,
It would be interesting to know what determined which tracks got vocals. W2 suspects it’s driven by the arrangements more than anything but who knows the mystery’s of Studio One? Maybe J. O’B can enlighten us ?
Windswept shares your enthusiasm for the line-up and hopes that TBFO make it into next year’s tour entourage.
Hopefully ‘Geordie’s Favourite Son’ will theme next year’s tour ‘Bitter Sweet’ and incorporate a jazz set as he did in 2013.
Salutations,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:38 am 
Site Owner

I would say that the instrumental arrangements don't lend themselves to vocals with maybe the exception of Sea Breezes.

In my experience as a musician, it's easier to take an uptempo song and turn it into a ballad and give it a more melancholy edge wheras speeding up a slow song doesn't work so well, it almost takes the mickey out of it by doing that.

The arrangements for Sign Of The Times and Dance Away are more uptempo and jaunty than the originsls and wouldn't sound right with the vocals on them.

I have to say I initially was ambivalent to the announcement about this album coming out but since hearing it right through it is a good piece of work. The 8 vocal tracks are well chosen as they suit his 70 + voice.

I am fortunate that since a boy I have always been Into jazz as I was surrounded by and exposed to an eclectic mix of music. If you don't like jazz then your hands are tied behind your back in trying to get into this album.

Of course we would love a Roxy 9 album or a newly written Ferry album but this is not that and should be judged for what it is and not what it isn't.

I really like this album more than I thought I would, not as 'a defender of the faith' but by the fact it has good songs well performed, interestingly arranged, and Bryan's voice sounding as good as any album he could make in his 70's

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:07 am 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
Of course we would love a Roxy 9 album or a newly written Ferry album but this is not that and should be judged for what it is and not what it isn't.
J.O'B.

I had planned not to comment on this album and just let it pass unnoticed as some kind of side project. My alternative reaction would be; is this really what has taken up Bryan`s time all these months between touring since his last solo album? (Last January`s RM deluxe album aside).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:35 am 

I thought the touring ( all those car journeys, planes, hotels and performances ) would really have cut across creativity/songwriting for a brand new project.
I am , though, uplifted, by J.O.B’s comments as I was half expecting a dud record. If the production and craft is as good as it has been on Olympia and Avonmore, then bring it on.
Happy to have the faith defended.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:48 am 

Quote:
is this really what has taken up Bryan`s time all these months between touring since his last solo album?

What if it is? It seems to me BF has pretty much exhausted the 'canvasses turned to the wall', so any brand new material will almost certainly have to be done from scratch. His current preference to tour extensively seems a massive obstacle, especially when it comes to writing, which itself seems to be increasingly tortuous. I'd love something totally new but until such time as that can come to fruition I very much welcome this release.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:59 am 

Mes Amis,

Windswept is truly excited. What's not to like about another BFO adventure ? TJA was sublime.

Roxology is a broad church mais W2 lui-meme gets fatigued at demands from some of the feather boa lovers for another 'Roxy Music' album. Particularly when we've already had two. They were called 'Olympia' and 'Avonmore'.

Windswept considers it a privilege to continue with our hero on his musical journey and is hoping he transforms TRAH into the 'Moka Efti' for next years show and brings on 'the flappers'. If this is permissible in this #meethree age.

Salutations a tous,

Windswept.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:15 pm 

I think Bryan is at a wonderful place in his life -

a man who did not like touring now a touring monster, soaking up his audience and traveling the world

a man who struggled for years to find his muse, now enjoying fully his engagement with his musical heroes - Cole Porter, Dylan, et al.

a voice that has aged, found its place, and is now comfortable in its own 'imperfection'

Great stuff, keep going Bryan!

ps. The cover is a bit of a head-scratcher though!

cheers
Kevin
@roxymusicsongs.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:34 pm 

roxymusicsongs wrote:
I think Bryan is at a wonderful place in his life ...........
cheers
Kevin
@roxymusicsongs.com

Elegantly Ageing Hipsters,
Kevin's words warm the cockles of W2's heart.
Windswept is keeping his powder dry on the cover art until he sees the full book - maybe there is a story here ?
Salutations,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:35 pm 

Does anyone know if the CD version is just universally 'Deluxe' and there aren't different versions going to be floating about?

I pre-ordered the signed version from Bryan's site but, like all my signed items, I like to keep it and order a normal version just to play.

If there is only one version of the CD then not sure why they have called it a deluxe version?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next