VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Bryan Ferry Album
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:10 pm 

Bitter Sweet applause...

I loved ‘The Jazz age’ I loved Babylon Berlin... I love Germany - visit Berlin every year - at times I take in Hamburg and Munich - My own creative output as an artist is mainly influenced by German popular culture - sometimes I feel so content and at peace in Berlin that people joke that I must’ve lived there before in a past life ...

And so , why does this new venture leave me so cold ...? Well , the performances in Babylon Berlin just didn’t work for me - they seemed stilted , tired and empty - I’ve listened to most of the BFO cuts on The Babylon Berlin album once and never felt drawn to them again - The original Country Life Bittersweet , in my opinion, has one of Ferry’s most accomplished vocals and for me this new treatment is painful to my ears ... the voice is so so weak it just ruins the song and I know it will all be just like that ...Boo Hoo Boo Hoo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:30 pm 

Gardner wrote:
Bitter Sweet applause...

I loved ‘The Jazz age’ I loved Babylon Berlin... I love Germany - visit Berlin every year - at times I take in Hamburg and Munich - My own creative output as an artist is mainly influenced by German popular culture - sometimes I feel so content and at peace in Berlin that people joke that I must’ve lived there before in a past life ...

And so , why does this new venture leave me so cold ...? Well , the performances in Babylon Berlin just didn’t work for me - they seemed stilted , tired and empty - I’ve listened to most of the BFO cuts on The Babylon Berlin album once and never felt drawn to them again - The original Country Life Bittersweet , in my opinion, has one of Ferry’s most accomplished vocals and for me this new treatment is painful to my ears ... the voice is so so weak it just ruins the song and I know it will all be just like that ...Boo Hoo Boo Hoo

Gardner, I can understand every member of this forum who does not like the BB stuff Bryan releases at the end of November, although he sang jazz/swing/ballroom songs from the beginning of his career (TFT, SGIYE, YGTMH, ATGB).

As far as I'm concerned I've always liked that kind of music (I'm a huge fan of the Pasadena Roof Orchestra). TJA was strange because of the shellac sound and, of course, Bryan's absent voice. Contrary to your opinion, Gardner, I think Bitter-Sweet works very well when Bryan performs it in the "Moka Efti" night club (BB). The only thing I've been wondering about since I know the BB album set list: Why didn't he write at least one single new track for it? David Crosby of CSNY published his fourth album with new material within five years - at the age of 77 now!

Concerning his voice: These days I've listened again to songs like "Funny How Time Slips Away" or "Psalm". Wow, what a brilliant voice he had in 1973/4! Well, these days are gone but I love his late work, too.

Unlike you, Gardner, I have been to Berlin for the first time in 2015, although I live not far from Munich. So I can understand your passion, Berlin is always worth a journey. Architecture, art, music, history (very often to be ashamed of ...) and more.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:09 pm 

pianoman wrote:
Gardner wrote:
Bitter Sweet applause...

Gardner, I can understand every member of this forum who does not like the BB stuff Bryan releases at the end of November, although he sang jazz/swing/ballroom songs from the beginning of his career (TFT, SGIYE, YGTMH, ATGB).

As far as I'm concerned I've always liked that kind of music (I'm a huge fan of the Pasadena Roof Orchestra). TJA was strange because of the shellac sound and, of course, Bryan's absent voice. Contrary to your opinion, Gardner, I think Bitter-Sweet works very well when Bryan performs it in the "Moka Efti" night club (BB). The only thing I've been wondering about since I know the BB album set list: Why didn't he write at least one single new track for it? David Crosby of CSNY published his fourth album with new material within five years - at the age of 77 now!

Concerning his voice: These days I've listened again to songs like "Funny How Time Slips Away" or "Psalm". Wow, what a brilliant voice he had in 1973/4! Well, these days are gone but I love his late work, too.

Unlike you, Gardner, I have been to Berlin for the first time in 2015, although I live not far from Munich. So I can understand your passion, Berlin is always worth a journey. Architecture, art, music, history (very often to be ashamed of ...) and more.

Pianoman - I thought the Jazz Age a clever Post Modern idea - as fresh as when he first released TFT ! I loved how it took a risk and messed around with expectations.. For me it was a special album.
I love Munich - the river and the English Garden ... We also went to Konigsee and Obersee which left me in awe - I want to go back to Obersee and swim in the water !

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:25 am 

Gardner wrote:
Bitter Sweet applause...

I loved ‘The Jazz age’ I loved Babylon Berlin...

And so , why does this new venture leave me so cold ...? Well , the performances in Babylon Berlin just didn’t work for me - they seemed stilted , tired and empty - I’ve listened to most of the BFO cuts on The Babylon Berlin album once and never felt drawn to them again -

Mes Amis,

W2 understands Gardner’s point insomuch as our hero’s performance was not a highlight of this fabulous series. Windswept attributes this 100% to direction. It was clear they would not let him be himself and this left him looking tired and stilted. Something that never happens in a real live performance ...... Oh, and where did they get that ridiculous neck tie from ?

More than this, Windswept is with the ever tasteful pianoman. He loves TJA (including the shellac sound), Yellow Cocktail Music and the cuts released thus far on the BB soundtrack and looks forward to ‘Bitter Sweet’.

Concerning the voice, oh the voice , the voice ...........Windswept finds much to like in the mature timber and is just so pleased that ‘Geordie’s Favourite Son’ is still touring and performing in the autumn of his years and is delighted to be around to be part of it. Is it the same as when he was in his pomp ? Mais no but who’s is ?

W2 first saw Ferry perform with ‘The Gas Board’ at Newcastle’s very decadent GoGo Club in the mid sixties - it was surely the Tyne’s equivalent of Babylon Berlin’s Moka Efti - and over fifty years latter is looking forward to seeing him again at TRAH. Our voices may have aged like fine wine but we still have our hair, our teeth and a good suit !
Salutations a tous,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:56 am 

Quote:
Windswept finds much to like in the mature timber

...as do I. I'm looking forward to Bitter Sweet and am only disappointed that it's not an entirely vocal album (oh and the artwork!).
I sincerely hope next year's tour is built around Bitter Sweet and, notwithstanding the UK has featured prominently in BF's touring schedule in recent years, that he brings any new show out to the provinces. Magnificent and prestigious though the RAH is, it self evidently can't meet the needs of all fans here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:27 am 

UKRichard wrote:
Quote:
Windswept finds much to like in the mature timber

...as do I. I'm looking forward to Bitter Sweet and am only disappointed that it's not an entirely vocal album (oh and the artwork!).
I sincerely hope next year's tour is built around Bitter Sweet and, notwithstanding the UK has featured prominently in BF's touring schedule in recent years, that he brings any new show out to the provinces. Magnificent and prestigious though the RAH is, it self evidently can't meet the needs of all fans here.

Elegantly Ageing Hipsters,

Windswept finds himself agreeing violently with UKRichard albeit he’s keeping his powder dry on the artwork until he’s seen the book.

The Windswepts are booked for TRAH but would prefer to see their hero at The Brighton Dome - their absolute favourite U.K. venue.

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:36 pm 

W2 first saw Ferry perform with ‘The Gas Board’ at Newcastle’s very decadent GoGo Club in the mid sixties - it was surely the Tyne’s equivalent of Babylon Berlin’s Moka Efti - and over fifty years latter is looking forward to seeing him again at TRAH. Our voices may have aged like fine wine but we still have our hair, our teeth and a good suit !

:lol:

As a VRM member who still has his teeth, at least one good suit but rather few hair I bow down to Windswept 2 who saw Bryan performing with The Gas Board in Newcastle. So WS2 must be the absolute Ferry expert! Did Bryan attract his attention at that time or was he just another rock singer to him?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:03 am 

pianoman wrote:

:lol:

As a VRM member who still has his teeth, at least one good suit but rather few hair I bow down to Windswept 2 who saw Bryan performing with The Gas Board in Newcastle. So WS2 must be the absolute Ferry expert! Did Bryan attract his attention at that time or was he just another rock singer to him?

Cher pianoman,
Funny you ask this question.
W2 discussed this with a good friend of his who now lives in Florida and who is a compulsive diary keeper. He has it noted that we went together to see ‘The Gas Board’ at the GoGo on Wednesday, 5th July 1967!
W2 was so pleased he nailed the date.
Windswept saw him two or three times in the sixties - at least once at the GoGo and maybe a couple of times at a very infamous venue in South Shields called ‘The Cellar ‘.
And to your question, yes, the boy had style from the get go (very Mod with a twist) and the band could certainly play. There stock in trade was soul covers. Stax stuff - ‘Knock On Wood’, ‘Hold On I’m Coming ‘ - that sort of think.
Did W2 think he was just another rock singer ?
Difficult to say. The standard was high back then in the NE. Bands like The Animals had made it and the scene was on fire but yes, he certainly had a charisma and always a good suit !
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:14 pm 
Site Owner

I have added some of the credits to this page here:
http://www.vivaroxymusic.com/albums_122.php

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:46 pm 

I assume that all the songs from Bitter Sweet were recorded including tracks with Bryan's voice. Maybe he wasn't content with the results of some of them - we know that he's a perfectionist ;) .

Alphaville and Chance Meeting are instrumental on the Babylon Berlin soundtrack. On Bitter Sweet they seem to be sung by Bryan. This brought me to my assumption.

The album has a very good personnel including Colin Good, Robert Fowler, Enrico Tomasso, Marina Moore and Rhett Davies. I am looking forward to the CD. Seemingly the deluxe version is the "normal" version.

So November 2018 brings us new albums from Mackay/Manzanera and Ferry. Wow 8-) !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next