VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:24 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Bryan Ferry Album
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:22 am 

Not for me I fear. TJA is the onlyrelease from the entire catalogue I do not have. No doubts I’m sure about the quality,but the album I wish for is one of real new material with fresh artwork too. An orchestrated reworking also appeals but in my opinion the JA, whilst I found quite amusing and clever in parts, destroyed the songs. There, I’ve said it and I can hear the cries of heresy ringing out as I type.
Where is the triple deluxe Viva album!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:33 pm 

The Pale Moon wrote:
Not for me I fear. TJA is the onlyrelease from the entire catalogue I do not have. No doubts I’m sure about the quality,but the album I wish for is one of real new material with fresh artwork too. An orchestrated reworking also appeals but in my opinion the JA, whilst I found quite amusing and clever in parts, destroyed the songs. There, I’ve said it and I can hear the cries of heresy ringing out as I type.
Where is the triple deluxe Viva album!!

In that case you must check the tracks from the Siren Tour posted by a certain 'Flowerboy 94' on YouTube. That's the real thing! (in contrast to Bryan's dull Jazz pastiche...)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:45 pm 

I echo the comments made by DCJ , both about the sepia print on the cover and the prospect of the music being not quite what I want from Ferry at this time.
I’d rather be looking forward than looking back. A Ferry/Eno co-production perhaps, but obviously not a nostalgia trip as Eno wouldn’t countenance one. Something like the Eno-Hyde pieces

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:59 pm 

Thanks Sentimental Fool, never heard strictly live before.
You’re a star.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:01 pm 

The Pale Moon wrote:
There, I’ve said it and I can hear the cries of heresy ringing out as I type.

Perhaps tellingly those cries of heresy haven't followed and I'm certainly amongst those who just can’t get excited enough to raise an objection, particularly as half the album has previously been released. I’ll still get it and am interested to hear how things like New Town and Boys and Girl sound but this jazz phase really is outstaying its welcome now and makes me wonder if Ferry will ever again produce anything relevant or original.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:14 pm 

The original JA album did nothing for me, I must confess. I found it rather dull in the absence of any Bryan vocals - however I was converted after seeing the wonderful 2013 live shows when played live mixed in among the normal band material.

Ferry has rarely been the most prolific of writers, especially of lyrics, but he is not alone in acts of his vintage. The Stones are still struggling towards completing their first new album of original material in 13 years. McCartney's new album came in at No 1 and was well received by critics and fans but has now sunk without trace in the charts. The common consensus seems to be why slave away over an album of new material which few will buy, when you can tour playing the hits and make more £s, € and $?

I would have preferred a brand new album but, as opposed to playing the same old set lists of the last 2 to 3 years with a rock band, I would happily settle for a live show which at least suggests a degree of re-intepretation of the back catalogue. It was with the 1999 and 2013 shows when he brought in first strings and then brass that his lost mojo seemed to be rediscovered.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:44 pm 

I do like the set list, and being constructive that's what I'd punctuate on this thread.

As it happens, I don't listen to TJA, and I will not buy this new thing. But I will check it out on my Spotify premium account...which may make BF ca. 34p in royalties during the several times I play it.

However: I'm grateful for any output at this stage. Albums and tours at this career phase....all welcome.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:15 pm 

rendezvous wrote:
Sounds good.

I have always thought, when Country Life came out, that Bryan missed out on an obvious pun by not calling it "Bitter-Suite."

Hue And Cry called their live album Bitter Suite

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitter_Suite_(album)

J.O'B.

Aye, 15 years later!

Lots of love

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:34 am 

Bitters End on Spotify. Sounds v good despite my general "meh" towards TJA stylee. No vocal though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:36 pm 

RoxySiren wrote:
Bitters End on Spotify. Sounds v good despite my general "meh" towards TJA stylee. No vocal though.

One word: horrible

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next