VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bitter- Sweet Forum Member Reviews
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:19 am 

I suppose what I’m saying is that as gorgeous as it is - it’s still an album made up from versions of tracks we’ve heard before ..I mean Reason or Ryhme - which is my last fave Ferry Song ( along with I Thought) which I think as moving as any classic - is nearly the same as the beautiful TJA version .. Sign of the Times and Dance Away skip along the Straße .. but sound like songs left over from TJA ... Bitter Sweet - I’ve heard on Babylon Berlin .. Boys and Girls is my fave on here ... but even then I have to admit it’s still all covers and blah blah .... ( let’s not forget Sea Breezes and Chance meeting were on LST as b sides !!!) ..For me some really good moments .. but it feels cobbled together under the auspices of the Babylon Berlin Vibe ..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:22 pm 

I like it, it’s very melancholic and not much of a party album but the addition of strings to some of the tracks gives added depth over the Jazz Age arrangements and it has the feel of a Bryan Ferry album rather than an interesting side project.
Some of the tracks benefit from a less cluttered arrangement, in particular New Town and Reason or Rhyme and I like the South American touches on Boys and Girls and Limbo which are probably my favourite two tracks. The boingy sounds in the 2nd part of Chance Meeting are great (almost like a 1920s acoustic Eno) and Bitters End is still hilarious.
The voice, although not what it was, is actually much better than on the Great Gatsby vocal cuts and gives me hope that we still have another great album to come.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:57 pm 

Vinny wrote:
I like it, it’s very melancholic and not much of a party album but the addition of strings to some of the tracks gives added depth over the Jazz Age arrangements and it has the feel of a Bryan Ferry album rather than an interesting side project.........

Hedonistic Hipsters,

Saliant words from Vinny.

W2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:01 pm 

" The voice, although not what it was, is actually much better than on the Great Gatsby vocal cuts and gives me hope that we still have another great album to come. "

@Vinny :

An album in collaboration with Eno is certainly not unlikely. Yeah, and if Phil and Andy do their part ... it would be a dream for me.

An album in collaboration with Eno is certainly not unlikely. Yeah, and if Phil and Andy do their part ... it would be a dream for me.

It all started with Roxy, it would be awesome if these great artists would express all their creativity and creativity in one last album ...

And there is still unpublished material around, sometimes missing only a sparking idea and the thing gets rolling.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:11 pm 

So just listened to a few of the songs again (with the official graphics) on YouTube .. and all my misgivings aside - despite the songs being covers - some of these arrangements are gorgeous and if it introduces them to a new audience then I suppose that can only be a good thing...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:45 pm 

Quote:

I would certainly welcome an Eno/Ferry collaboration, I thought was a great track and I would like to see more in that vein.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:27 am 

Perpetual Procrastonators,

Windswept’s continuous plays yesterday confirmed his view that this album is a complete and utter triumph.

His songs so lend themselves to this style of arrangement and greats from his post Avalon period - those from the noir trilogy (‘Boys & Girls’, ‘Bette Noir’ & ‘Mamouna’) - are particular beneficiaries.

The reason for this , IWNSHO, is the very distinctive multi-layered production techniques employed on their VOs although great, are something of a straight jacket when it comes to the songs themselves. More so than say the early Roxy albums and the first three solo works.

A classic example of this are the ‘Bitter -Sweet’ interpretations of ‘Boys & Girls’ & ‘New Town’. They just work so brilliantly in this format.

Also, his choice to have certain tracks showcased as instruments is inspired. ‘Limbo’, & ‘Sea Breezes’ are truly haunting.

The musicianship throughout is just ‘premier cru’ and all are great but Colin Good’s piano and Enrico Tomasso’s trumpet are really just extraordinary.

Our hero simply has to showcase this at the RAH or even better at Ronnie Scott’s

Salutations,

Windswept.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:55 pm 

I have to agree with all of those above who are applauding this wonderful album.
We now have a wonderful trio of albums (4 if you count the soundtrack) that started 20 years ago with the birth of an idea for 1999's As Time Goes By and BF's re-birth on the live stage.
I listened to all 3 albums yesterday in sequence, a pure aural joy!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:05 pm 

Tryptich wrote:
I have to agree with all of those above who are applauding this wonderful album...........
I listened to all 3 albums yesterday in sequence, a pure aural joy!!

Debauched Diletantes,

It warms the cockles of Windswept's heart to read "Tryptich's" words.

This trilogy is a real landmark in our hero's history and it is so great to see the Ferry/Good partnership back in action - it's truly a golden combination.

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:18 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
Perpetual Procrastonators,

His songs so lend themselves to this style of arrangement and greats from his post Avalon period - those from the noir trilogy (‘Boys & Girls’, ‘Bette Noir’ & ‘Mamouna’) - are particular beneficiaries.

The reason for this , IWNSHO, is the very distinctive multi-layered production techniques employed on their VOs although great, are something of a straight jacket when it comes to the songs themselves. More so than say the early Roxy albums and the first three solo works.

A classic example of this are the ‘Bitter -Sweet’ interpretations of ‘Boys & Girls’ & ‘New Town’. They just work so brilliantly in this format.

Windswept.

Yeah, straightjacket, right? It gives a hint of what could have been, IMHO.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next