VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bitter- Sweet Forum Member Reviews
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:49 pm 

Amazing, these comments above…

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:52 am 

Sorry guys but I am going to buck the trend here. I hate it. I didn’t like The Jazz Age either. I hate the whole genre of jazz and it saddens me to hear classic Roxy and Ferry songs played this way. For that reason I’m out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:29 pm 

My copy arrived with some delay. In the meantime I've listened to Bitter-Sweet several times and my feelings are somewhere between :D and :? ...

The outstanding tracks are Bitter-Sweet, New Town (probably the most Roxy song within Ferry's solo work) and Chance Meeting. Dance Away works well as an instrumental. I'm missing the vocals in Limbo, Sign Of The Times and Sea Breezes.

Boys And Girls and Zamba are a little bit monotonous but maybe better than the originals. Sadly, not a single new song is included. And yes, the artwork is excellent.

In general you can say that it's really surprising how Ferry's compositions work well with these arrangements. Particularly Ferry/Mackay's Bitter-Sweet always had this Brecht/Weill touch.

J.O'B.'s comment on Bitter-Sweet (some weeks ago) was really perfect; the album is the best you could expect from our "70+" hero. So let's enjoy it 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:02 pm 

Jerry Nunn wrote:
Sorry guys but I am going to buck the trend here. I hate it. I didn’t like The Jazz Age either. I hate the whole genre of jazz and it saddens me to hear classic Roxy and Ferry songs played this way. For that reason I’m out.

Cher Jerry,
Please don't go !
Forum members will miss your refined, measured and insightful comments.
Listen to 'Bitter - Sweet' again, the beauty of it may rub off on you.
Salutations,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:14 am 

Windswept2 wrote:
Jerry Nunn wrote:

Cher Jerry,
Please don't go !
Forum members will miss your refined, measured and insightful comments.
Listen to 'Bitter - Sweet' again, the beauty of it may rub off on you.
Salutations,
Windswept.

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm there W2? Any way I just meant that I will not be purchasing Bitter Sweet. Listened On Spotify and just don’t like it. As I said I really do not like jazz so just because Bryan is behind it it isn’t going to make me like it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:32 am 

I agree, JO’B.’s quote has hit the nail perfectly on the head. What more could I expect?

IMHO Bryans Team have maneuvered their business into a good position. With a minimum of effort, (probably just a couple of days in the studio for Bryan), there is this new CD with some vocals. On the back of the CD they can refresh the present concert concept, and in a couple of years’ time they can release another Greatest Hits compilation with tunes from the Jazz Age and this release.
Perhaps on a more positive note. I praise Bryan for his vocals on the CD. There is no hiding behind with heavy production and backing vocals. It’s him.

I like Alphaville, New Town and Bitter Sweet. Unlike Pianoman, I cannot take to Dance Away: the Ferryesque romanticism has been replaced with a happy-go-lucky-banjo-like-style which has me cringing. Finally, I did not recognize Sign of the Times.
I am listening to Windswept2s advice and giving it repeated listening. I prefer it to Jazz Age,(much better sound and quality I find), but my enthusiasm is fading, and I will probably go back and listen to the originals in all their Glory – what a magnificent history.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:24 am 

Will be interesting to see how the album performs in the charts. Should make a dent at least in UK & I guess Germany, where the 'Babylon Berlin' soundtrack reached #22 and was on their album chart for 9 weeks.

Some chart data for 'The Jazz Age'

Belgium #68 [10 weeks]
Germany #91 [1 week]
Holland #94 [1 week]
Sweden #34 [4 weeks]
UK #50

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:37 pm 

StephenPep: "I praise Bryan for his vocals on the CD. There is no hiding behind with heavy production and backing vocals. It’s him."

Absolutely right, StephenPep. I didn't notice that before. Boys And Girls was the first album where Bryan's voice had been mixed totally into the background. He began to sound weak, almost pleading. On some tracks (Sensation etc.) you could think that he was part of his own background choir. I never liked that. But on Bitter-Sweet - it's him ;) !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:28 pm 

pianoman wrote:
I didn't notice that before. Boys And Girls was the first album where Bryan's voice had been mixed totally into the background. He began to sound weak, almost pleading. On some tracks (Sensation etc.) you could think that he was part of his own background choir. I never liked that.;) !

-Agree, and vulnerable, as if being in a dark place.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:13 pm 

I've listened to most of the album. I was expecting the whispering vocals, but was pleasantly surprised by a lovely soothing vocal that fitted the music a lot better and was calming to listen to.

I'm not a huge fan of this jazz style and want, probably what we all want, a few new songs with an early Roxy style. I know Bryan's voice is a bit more limited these days but I'm sure he could come up with enough songs for perhaps an EP. He doesn't need to produce a full album.

And I wish he had brought out the 2011 Roxy Music Manchester Arena concert. Last I heard it was "third on the list" he told me. Having no idea what was first and second I cannot judge if it is next or not. Would have made a nice xmas pressie this year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next