VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Night of the Proms ...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:24 am 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
Windswept2 wrote:
A quality performance of the fabulous 'Bitter-Sweet' in a beautiful appropriately sized venue that has great acoustics would surely be much more his style ?
Salutations and Happy Christmas,
Windswept

I am a part time musician in my own small way. I have a studio at home with a load of gadgets, nice guitars, expensive microphones so that I can write and record music for my own enjoyment. To justify the expense and help pay for it I will be playing two Christmas parties this weekend, where I will be playing Slade, Shaking Stevens etc as well as all the cheesy pub/function band stuff like Brown Eyed Girl, Mustang Sally. All of this is music I have no connection with whatsoever but it is what puts the gear into my studio for me to do what I like to do as a musician. I am sure the professionals like Bryan etc have a big boys version of that to support their main work and maybe Proms is one of them.

Well said, John. And we shouldn't forget that Bryan is an employer for a lot of people. I have a colleague who is a studied saxophonist/clarinetist. We play some country rock or diner jazz gigs every year (things we both like) but he earns his living by playing Oktoberfest music in China or entertaining people at Christmas markets in UK (as a professional musician you have to do such things as well) ...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:50 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
To justify the expense and help pay for it I will be playing two Christmas parties this weekend, where I will be playing Slade, Shaking Stevens etc as well as all the cheesy pub/function band stuff like Brown Eyed Girl, Mustang Sally. All of this is music I have no connection with whatsoever but it is what puts the gear into my studio for me to do what I like to do as a musician. I am sure the professionals like Bryan etc have a big boys version of that to support their main work and maybe Proms is one of them.

Hmm, Mustang Sally and all that... Well, these are the true choices of the people. In my town, David Crosby recently played for only a half full venue, while what is left of Dr. Hook will next year probably play for a full house. There are times I think that this only happens in my part of the country, but it seems to be a world wide phenomenon. - Music for people who don`t like music, or?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:09 am 

pianoman wrote:
VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
Windswept2 wrote:
A quality performance of the fabulous 'Bitter-Sweet' in a beautiful appropriately sized venue that has great acoustics would surely be much more his style ?
Windswept

I am a part time musician in my own small way. I have a studio at home with a load of gadgets, nice guitars, expensive microphones so that I can write and record music for my own enjoyment. To justify the expense and help pay for it I will be playing two Christmas parties this weekend, where I will be playing Slade, Shaking Stevens etc as well as all the cheesy pub/function band stuff like Brown Eyed Girl, Mustang Sally. All of this is music I have no connection with whatsoever but it is what puts the gear into my studio for me to do what I like to do as a musician. I am sure the professionals like Bryan etc have a big boys version of that to support their main work and maybe Proms is one of them.

Well said, John. And we shouldn't forget that Bryan is an employer for a lot of people. I have a colleague who is a studied saxophonist/clarinetist. We play some country rock or diner jazz gigs every year (things we both like) but he earns his living by playing Oktoberfest music in China or entertaining people at Christmas markets in UK (as a professional musician you have to do such things as well) ...

Hipsters,
Mais oui but friend Ferry eclipsed this decades ago. He is not the struggling musician looking down the sofa for the last penny and there is a flip side to this.
If he wants to maintain the longevity of his career - and I suspect he does because it’s a labour of love - he should be careful not to damage the brand.
‘Bitter-Sweet’ is a masterpiece and he should be focused on that right now.
Let’s hope 2019 sees normal service resumed with a great ‘concept’ tour to promote the new album.
Windswept

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:40 pm 

Quote:
he should be careful not to damage the brand

I'm concerned for his otherwise distinguished reputation and anything that tarnishes his outstanding legacy (with regard to the latter it's ironic and unfortunate that this discussion comes at the time of the RRHoF nomination).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:42 pm 

On a lighter note, and in addition to similar messages here, season's felicitations one and all. See you in 2019.