VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dame Julie Burchill Ferry article
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:15 am 

A must read article in today's Telegraph:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artis ... truly-one/
It will require either the purchase of the paper or free trial sign-up to the online subscription (for those not yet subscribed).

Great read. God bless her.

Post subject: Re: Dame Julie Burchill Ferry article
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:11 pm 

Eternal Enthusiasts,

An interesting article but why the lady would go vile on the man is difficult to comprehend.

Anyway she has seen the light and the expression “un homme fatalle “ is priceless.

More than this, confusion reigns. The tour being referred to as promoting ‘Bitter-Sweet’ and ‘Avalon’ in the same article !

Perhaps we are in for a two part set - W2 would settle for that.

Salutations,

Windswept

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:14 pm 

I enjoyed the article and it was typical, intelligent, Burchill.

She, and her ex-paramour Tony Parsons, did write some malicious stuff for the NME Ferry-baiters, but you always knew they really loved Roxy and Ferry, their writings were humourous most of the time, and got them what they wanted from their youth fanbase: enough ongoing credibility and ££££s to become "respected" writers and media dahlings.

Burchill was actually very nice towards "In Your Mind" at the time punk was at it's pop chart zenith in the UK, bringing up a hotel metaphor and calling the album "positively Ritz."

A funny, bathetic, line in one article was "your heroes always let you down sooner or later - Indira Ghandi, Joe Stalin, Bryan Ferry."

In the early 2000s she wrote a hilarious piece that the reason Ferry was distancing himself from, and divorcing Lucy, was because of his embarrassment at the appalling grammar in their sons' vitriolic email to an anti-hunt saboteur - despite the huge (£2-3k a term) cost of their Eton education!

If I remember rightly, Parsons turned up in a string vest to interview Bryan and Andy in a restaurant (Cibo, I presume) when Manifesto was being released. Andy later commented to another publication that Parsons' dress sense and attitude was disrespectful and that "he looked like one of the kitchen staff," to which Parsons responded that he thought Andy was one of the waiters.

Ooooohh vicious.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:01 pm 

Excellent article - thanks for posting the link! :)
Kevin roxymusicsongs.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:47 pm 

Unfortunately she's a grotesque - horrible racist - who thrives on negative attention - not a person that anybody should want on their side .....

In 2002 she narrowly escaped prosecution for incitement to racial hatred, "following a Guardian column where she described Ireland as being synonymous with child molestation, Nazi-sympathising, and the oppression of women".[14] Burchill had expressed anti-Irish sentiment several times throughout her career, announcing in the London journal Time Out that "I hate the Irish, I think they're appalling".

Burchill clashed with Rabbi Elli Tikvah Sarah of the Brighton and Hove Progressive Synagogue, and the Rabbi's lesbian partner, Jess Woods.[54] Among the reasons for the clash was Rabbi Sarah's defence of Muslims and her advocacy of the Palestinian cause. In Burchill's words, the rabbi "respects PIG ISLAM"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:15 pm 

Loathsome woman, wouldn't give her a moment of my time, let alone enough to read this.
Seems fashionable to turn a blind eye or deaf ear to earlier indiscretions. I prefer to remain unfashionable.