www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrDrkaukszk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp-37eKfdcw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjjUVxFgRCg

Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry Netherland 2019
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:06 pm 

review translated from Dutch by google:

Bryan Ferry

Bryan Ferry brings his greatest classics with class

The supporting act consists of the British organic pop trio: Paradisia. This band fits the image with Ferry of class and style. Three ladies who bring quiet songs in a beautiful way and with a beautiful own adaptation of "Dancing in the dark" show that they can even turn a Bruce Springsteen cover into something unique with harp and keyboards.

The great successes of Bryan Ferry date from the 70s with Roxy Music and then in the 80s solo. After the great success of "Avalon" in 1982, Bryan Solo continued with successful albums such as "Boys and Girl" and "Taxi".

Bryan gives what the audience expects and that is a nice cross-section from the time of Roxy Music and his solo career. Bryan is accompanied by no fewer than 9 band members who ensure a perfect implementation of the well-known material.
A top band that plays in but in which the spontaneity has somewhat disappeared.
The focus is on perfect execution of the numbers.

Bryan is smartly dressed in a suit with a tie. The audience only comes loose as the evening progresses in a triptych with the songs: 'Love is the drug'; "More than this" and "Avalon."
As always, Ferry remains the host of his own show.
Calm but with passion, he sings his set list, he visibly enjoys it himself too.

In time there is room to take a sip of water and to dab its pearls. At the age of 73, Bryan may still be there and it makes sense for the weather to become more static.
Surprisingly beautiful is the live performance of "Boys and girls" and the performance of "Take a chance with me".

The 1st encore is: "Let's stick together" and the audience really came loose. A wonderfully stirring song that is also his biggest hit in the low countries. It was thought that it would stay that way, but then he sang: "Jealous guy." That is the end of his performance in Eindhoven, with a wave and a kiss to the audience, he says goodbye and disappears behind the scenes. Exactly 90 minutes of music. The show was dark in terms of ambiance and the light show was adjusted accordingly, so that many artists set to work in the dark and only Bryan was in the spotlight. The light man was not sharp this evening because Bryan was often exposed too late and sometimes sang in the dark.

A perfect musical show in which the real contact with the audience was missed, so that the spark only skipped a few songs. You notice that Bryan now has more than 50 years of stage experience and finishes the set somewhat on autopilot. The finishing is done at a high level because he is still good at voice and the saxophonist manages to steal the show a number of times with the many sax solo moments that are incorporated in many songs.

Ferry is still very productive this decade, he has already released 4 albums and knows nothing. The public is happy with that (house sold out) because it can still enjoy the "youth sentiment" because the average age was 50 plus. Musically, this old hand in the trade can still go on because he still delivers quality.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:22 am 

Hipsters,

Interesting review n’est- ce pas ?

Fonzie is back. We have stalwart Neil Jason on bass and it looks like the second guitarist didn’t make the cut. Chris Spedding reigns supreme - that’s all fine with W2.

It’s fabulous that he’s gone with the ‘Bitter-Sweet’ version of ‘Boys & Girls’ - that song was made for that arrangement. I can’t wait to see Jorja play that wailing sax part - it looks like she is the star and steals ‘The Emperor’s Clothes’ again - the Stabbster will be delighted !

Excitement for TRAH is off the Richter scale. W2 hopes Graham gets his ticket.

Salutations a tous,

Windswept.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:07 am 

looks like 2nd guitar is in there, at least what I see from Videos on youtube.
Sped on acoustic, for a few numbers

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:42 am 

cpl5938 wrote:
looks like 2nd guitar is in there, at least what I see from Videos on youtube.
Sped on acoustic, for a few numbers

Cher cp15938,

Peut-etre mais W2 couldn’t see him and J’OB hasn’t added him to the band list but if he’s there - all well and good.

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:16 am 

Boys & Girls in a much better Quality ( The song has been slightly rebuilt in reggae style with a fantastic acoustic guitar).
For me, one of Bryan's best live performances in the last few years, maybe even decade. Wonderful. It still works!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFgTkUU ... rt_radio=1

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:05 pm 

From Amsterdam by google:

(The critic writes like drunken driver, sometimes he`s right, sometimes he`s wrong, and sometimes he`s spot on, I`d guess. Maybe it`s just the google translation)

A legendary personality, an oeuvre to say goodbye to you, a band that stands and an audience that feels like it. Bryan Ferry gave those present at the Royal Theater Carré an evening that they will remember for a long time. Not that it was immaculate, but it was certainly special.

Ferry comes on and a shiver goes through the room. Phlegmatic appearance. No text about Bryan Ferry seems to be complete without the words "gentleman" and "night club", of which deed, but there is so much more. We have to wait a while, because the start is suboptimal. In Every Dream Home A Heartache, Out Of The Blue, they come along, but it doesn't sound good. We all hear that something is wrong, but what exactly is going on later that evening turns out to be the subject of discussion in the foyer and on the street. Technical problems, certainly, because someone regularly runs across the stage, probably with a screwdriver or with tape. In addition or as a result, the sound is very unhappy mixed: loud bass and drums and a voice that is sometimes barely audible. And, it has to be said, Bryan's voice needs time to warm up. During the concert the quality increases, to regularly reach great heights.

No night club tonight, rather a wild party with psychedelic lighting. Much of Roxy Music's work, both from the experimental early years in which the band made records that had a major impact on currents such as punk, new wave and synth pop, as well as from later years, when hits such as Avalon had the sharp edges off. The extremes of both periods pass us by today, not a Virginia Plain or Do The Strand, but also not too sweet. By the way, the band does guard against the latter, which always produces a strong and swinging sound with nine people. Saxophonist Jorja Chalmers even makes us temporarily forget Andy Mackay. And then we also have Chris Spedding on the guitar, master musician who also accompanied many other greats.

Swing in the aisles

The audience first looks the cat out of the tree. At Slave To Love, the (excellent) background singers still have to help out if Ferry cannot get above the band. We see the cover at Boys And Girls, brought in a super cool, relaxed version. The singer is not making volume yet, but he is sure to move here. At Take A Chance With Me the audience starts to swing in the aisles, at Tokyo Joe the Brit gets the whole Carré dancing en masse.

During Love Is The Drug, Ferry is enjoying himself and waving to the public. More Than This is going a bit more amusingly, luckily the background singers also offer support on time. Aleysha Gordon can also shine at the end of Avalon. When that number is used, attendees pinch each other's arms: "Now it's coming." They won't be disappointed. A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall makes its appearance on Bob Dylan's birthday. Ferry does not mention it, but it is a party. Let’s Stick Together opens the encores, followed by a beautiful performance by Jealous Guy, modest as always. After Editions Of You it's over. It is said that it is still late when Ferry joins the bar of the Okura Hotel.

1 Response

Marc bos 25 May 2019 Reply

A mild review ... We found the sound very bad. The drums and bass were the only one and a half hour to be heard. Hardly any ferry. Why all the credits for this man? Only because of his masterful past? It is high time that Ferry started to reflect ...

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:01 pm 

Another one:

Bryan Ferry, charismatic and incomparable in Carré

Bryan Ferry, the now 73-year-old singer, gave a concert in beautiful Carré on 24 May. Ferry, of course known for his time as frontman / singer of Roxy Music and a very successful solo career can count on a large number of hits and classics, wondering what he has in store for the almost sold out Royal theater tonight.

The support act was the London-based ladies band Paradisia. The three ladies played dreamy music, culminating in a sultry version of Bruce Springsteen’s ‘Dancing In The Dark’. A nice warm-up for the main program, but the moderately enthusiastic reactions from the audience indicated what they had come for, the charismatic Bryan Ferry.

Whether it was his voice or the settings of the sound, it seemed that Ferry had a hard time coming out of the music. This does not alter the fact that he, together with an excellent band, started the show with tracks such as "In Every Dream Home A Heartache" and "Out Of The Blue", brought it with verve. As witnessed by the fact that someone came on stage a few times to - so it seemed - to change settings, it turned out that it wasn't up to Ferry's voice. He did not sound like he was in his heyday, but a knee that paid attention. During the show, the voice of the singer had to come up to the right temperature, but whatever was done in terms of keys to the settings, it did not get completely perfect.

At the beginning of the concert the audience remained rather tame, but after hits such as "Slave To Love" and "Boys And Girls" the feet got off the floor. The audience was enjoying the stage. "Love Is The Drug" was unfortunately not fully played, but turned into "More Than This". Tribute to the backing vocalist who showed that she had a phenomenal voice, especially during "Avalon". The charming singer was a lot better to understand during "Avalon", that was different at the start of the concert. Of course, "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall" was not missing on the set list, this on the birthday of the grandmaster Bob Dylan.

Of course Ferry came back for an encore, this started with the big hit "Let’s Stick Together", followed by an epic version of John Lennon's "Jealous Guy", with Ferry himself on the harmonica. The concert ended with "Editions Of You", it may be clear that despite the fact that Ferry's singing was drowned out by the qualitatively strong band, it was an evening to add to Carré's books.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:06 pm 

More:

Column Sylvia Witteman
Bryan Ferry had an excellent band with him, but it was high time to find another singer

May 27, 2019

Concerts from old rock stars are almost always shocking, so I am not going there anymore because of damage and shame. I then put on a record of the rock star at home when he was young and cool, while I feel sorry for the poor elderly person in question. In the meantime, he is sweating from his hair implants to his arch supports in front of an arena full of middle-aged people who have come with the regional bus from Krommenie in the vain hope to once again feel the scorching glow of the past.

But then Bryan Ferry came to Amsterdam. Bryan Ferry! ("Never heard of it," my 30-year-old half-sister just said, so he won't be coming in.) Moreover, he would not perform in that horrible Ziggo Dome, but in the always civilized and pleasant Carré. "Now it is still possible," my brother said attractively. "He will be dead soon."

Yes, there was something in it. Bryan Ferry is also 74 again. Instead of drinking and sniffing, his great passion has been growing roses for years, but that is by no means a guarantee for eternal life ("Yonder, in the rose garden, I pruned lottery tickets, / Then I looked behind me, so there Death stood up to Carré, then anyway.

It would start at 8 a little early for rock and roll. The maestro itself was apparently still sitting at the table, because we were first served three girls who convincingly mapped the concept of "pre-program" with music that I unfortunately cannot describe other than lukewarm custard. When I wanted to share this observation with my brother, the middle-aged couple reminded us, hissing us to silence.

After we had watched their blown-up hairstyles full of silent hatred for a long time, the legendary lounge lizard finally entered the stage, fragile, in too loose a suit, and began to sing. It did not go very well. He no longer got the big notes, said virtually nothing to his audience and rushed through his greatest hits with a passion as if he were waiting for the bus (the regional bus to Krommenie). He had an excellent band with him, though, it was only high time to find another singer. The blown-up hairstyles in front of us nevertheless filmed everything with their phones, still silently silent, and visibly got annoyed by the few who dared to hum a note.

"I've been thinking about death all the time," I told my brother when it was over, and he replied that it was "undoubtedly mutual."

Yes, in the café around the corner, four or five of them wanted the best taste.