VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry Royal Albert Hall CD
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:42 pm 

here is one review for the concert:
http://www.moredarkthanshark.org/eno_int_rs-apr75.html

Cheers
Kevin
roxymusicsongs.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:15 pm 

Curious as to how many of you are splashing out on the Deluxe edition of this release? I did so for RM's eponymous album but just can't bring myself to do so for this one. Partly cos it just ain't worth it and partly cos I don't want to keep supporting the ridiculous price tags of these things. Essentially it's an extra £80 for an art print, a few photo's, and replica programme/ticket stubs/ letters. Even then you don't get the tour poster that is included in the £40 package, which seems ultra cynical to me. In my view the price tag shouldn't have exceeded £50 for the deluxe edition and even then I would have been expecting the unreleased live tracks to be included amongst the package in order for it to reflect good value. What most interests me is the liner notes (do we know who has written them btw?) so I might just pick up the CD or alternately I'll just listen on Spotify and wait for the inevitable drop in price of the deluxe edition a few months down the line.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:44 am 

Absolutely with Dean on this one.
£120 for a single LP albeit in 2 formats and a bit of packaging. Had I been at the Hall then , I might be tempted but I wasn't so I’ll just take the music.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:52 pm 

Getting ready for this release by listening to... Stranded and Country Life..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:37 am 

Rave review and 9/10 in the latest Uncut. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:51 am 

I’ve been listening all morning and am really enjoying it, I think for two reasons a) the band/Bryan appear to be in peak form and sound to be revelling in the performance and b) most of the songs are ones we rarely hear live which makes a refreshing change. I think the song selection for the concert was great, a few of the clunkers from ATAP are omitted (such as What a Wonderful World) and most of the tracks are the ones with original and distinctive arrangements. Stand outs for me so far are ATAP, TFT and Sympathy’ for the Devil. Incidentally, My Spotify just randomly played To Turn You On immediately after Baby I Don’t Care - hard to believe they are the same artiste....!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:06 pm 

A wonderful record which captures an evening of exuberance - It makes a perfect companion to Viva Roxy Music. I love the heartfelt singing in the rock numbers like ' In Crowd' and in the camp songs like 'I love how you love me' and 'It's my party'. Special Special Special .

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:38 pm 

I bought the RAH CD today - it's of course a matter of honour ;) .

It was an outstanding show with almost everybody from Roxy Music (at that time) except from Andy Mackay. The sound is superb, the brass section is tight and Bryan's voice is at its peak. I'm happy that "You Are My Sunshine" didn't make it on the playlist but I truly miss my favourite "Funny How Time Slips Away". Anyway it's fun to hear Bryan's cover songs (+ ATAP and ARGT) and how revolutionary his way of interpreting them was. The book I have to read this evening.

The only thing that made me a little bit sad was the fact that I went to the record store without any faster heartbeat - because I knew all those songs before. Oh, Bryan, will you ever publish new material again? That's a one of my dreams that has not ended yet (see Roxy thread "End Of My Dream") :?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:20 am 

I got the deluxe edition (expensive for what you got but I always get the deluxe of any Bryan/Roxy release).

I’ve had numerous listens so far and all I can say is I think it is absolutely superb! Bryan is in top voice and what a band he has playing with him. I love Bryan’s solo albums and to listen to tracks that you don’t hear him doing live anymore makes it all the better.
It was strange as well listening to it knowing that when he was doing that concert I wasn’t even born yet (1983 before I was born) and yet I would consider him my hero today.

I got into Bryan and Roxy through my dad as he had all the albums on cassette but, for some reason, it was These Foolish Things and Another Time Another Place that I used to play continuously when I was a kid which is probably why I love this concert so much. I first got to see Bryan live in 1999 and have been to numerous solo and Roxy concerts since then.

There was a bit of sadness playing this as my dad died a couple of years back and we always looked forward to any new Bryan and Roxy release coming out and would play it together. I know he would have loved this release in particular as it would have taken him back to his early days too and I’m delighted that this got a proper official release.

Looking forward to the new tour and hoping that Bryan at least throws in a few tracks from this tour.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:23 am 

Quote:
my dad died a couple of years back and we always looked forward to any new Bryan and Roxy release coming out and would play it together

That's really lovely Scott and I can see how this release must be quite bittersweet, although a source of many great memories too.
I'm really pleased both of my (now grown up) sons have a broad taste in music that encompasses Roxy and BF. It's good to know love of the music will live on in them long after me!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next