VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: UK tour support
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:05 am 

Apparently there had been a news release on social media a couple of weeks or more ago, but it passed me by...

So it came as a nice surprise to be contacted by Ollie Thompson, whose gigs I've tried to support whenever I can, who told me that his band One Eleven has been given the support slot for the UK dates. :D

Ollie asked me if I thought BF's fans would be interested enough to arrive in time for his sets; I reassured him and said I'd do what I could to get the word out there and persuade you good folk to leave the pre-gig "refreshments" a little earlier! ;)

When I last heard Ollie play back in the autumn, One Eleven was a trio: Ollie on guitar & vocals, his partner Fyah (who, as Flora, used to work in Studio One) on vocals plus occasional guitar & harmonica and a drummer (the bass lines were pre-programmed).

Post subject: Re: UK tour support
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:04 pm 

Very interesting. Thanks for the heads up Smudge - I look forward to it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:24 pm 

Chers amis!

Trés bien, Smudge. I like Ollie Thompson a lot so surely I´ll be in time.
Now the question is - will he play with BF as well?
Any rumours about band members & set list?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:07 pm 

Ollie confirmed that he is not in BF's band, other than being "on call" for occasional private gigs.

No rumours heard about the 2020 band my money is on it being largely (or even entirely) unchanged from 2019. Neil Jason's partner shared some photos of him at Studio One on social media recently; maybe rehearsals started early and other photos will appear sooner, rather than later?

As for the setlist, I'd like a few changes from last year, but I'm not sure that we'll get them. I'm not sure why the London dates are being referred to as special, but I really can't see there being major set list changes for only two shows (i.e. anyone hoping for 1974 revisited is being overly optimistic).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:03 pm 

Smudge wrote:

Ollie confirmed that he is not in BF's band, other than being "on call" for occasional private gigs.

No rumours heard about the 2020 band my money is on it being largely (or even entirely) unchanged from 2019. Neil Jason's partner shared some photos of him at Studio One on social media recently; maybe rehearsals started early and other photos will appear sooner, rather than later?

As for the setlist, I'd like a few changes from last year, but I'm not sure that we'll get them. I'm not sure why the London dates are being referred to as special, but I really can't see there being major set list changes for only two shows (i.e. anyone hoping for 1974 revisited is being overly optimistic).

Jorja Chalmers did share a rehearsal photo on Instagram with the caption Bryan Ferry 2020 #newsetlist

While I expect the usual numbers will remain in the setlist hopefully we'll get 5/6 new ones in there.

The Glasgow show will be interesting - sometimes I think going to the first shows often throws up a surprise number that he later drops because he didn't feel it fitted in.

I think only two shows last year opened with Flesh & Blood before being dropped - if you were there then at least you seen a rare sight of it being played live!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:14 am 

Scott wrote:
Smudge wrote:

Jorja Chalmers did share a rehearsal photo on Instagram with the caption Bryan Ferry 2020 #newsetlist

While I expect the usual numbers will remain in the setlist hopefully we'll get 5/6 new ones in there.

The Glasgow show will be interesting - sometimes I think going to the first shows often throws up a surprise number that he later drops because he didn't feel it fitted in.

I think only two shows last year opened with Flesh & Blood before being dropped - if you were there then at least you seen a rare sight of it being played live!

Hipsters,
Doubtless the faithful (W2 included) will continue to enthusiastically procrastinate over the set list.
Windswept would point out that he noted a satisfactory change between his ‘18 fandango (Palladium) and ‘19 (RAH) - about 30% of the set list was different. What’s more, there were some great revised arrangements and both shows were up to our hero’s phenomenal standards.
Although W2 would love to see an all new ‘concept’ show along the lines of ATGB (‘00), AEWBF (‘13) or even Dylanesque (‘07) or Olympia (‘11), he reluctantly recognises that BF may be at the “Best Of” stage of his career.
Mais nous allon voir peut etre the creative juices will flow.
Looking forward to the new album.
Salutations,
Windswept

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:51 pm 

Chers amis!

Surely there must be some connection between the "new" record and the tour. Anything but the tedious Hard rain will do for me.
Pity that he didn´t continue with Flesh and Blood as an opener last year. To hear songs like The name of the game, Day & Night, Cruel, San Simeon is ta ask for too much I guess, but how about Fool for love and Running wild?

Salutations `tous!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:23 pm 

I caught up will Ollie again when One Eleven played at 93 Feet East (part of the old Trumans brewery building) in London's Brick Lane on Friday 21st February.

It was to all intents and purposes a public dress rehearsal for the forthcoming tour and Ollie had chosen not to publicise it; indeed, I felt rather flattered that Ollie had told me about it, as I think only two family members (Ollie's sister and Fyah's mum) and a member of the Studio One team were there specifically to hear One Eleven, rather than the bands who followed them.

The band sounded confident and the sound was much clearer than when I heard them play last time, which was in Bermondsey in November. The music is all original and quite dark; The Cure are one influence, although some of the chiming guitar chords also brought back some fond memories of early (i.e. 1980s) U2 and Simple Minds.

The band's tour set will be fairly brief (only 25-30 mins) and they are still concerned that the big halls may look and feel too empty in the early evenings; if you have tickets, please try to get there early enough to hear One Eleven, as it will boost their confidence to see and hear you.

They are also looking forward to meeting you and trying to sell you some merchandise during the interval! ;)

Enjoy!